Woah, did the physics change on this latest update?

  • Thread starter Thread starter chuyler1
  • 13 comments
  • 1,134 views

chuyler1

Premium
Messages
4,547
United States
New Hampshire
Messages
chuyler1
I had my car dialed in great a few days ago for an endurance race at Nurburgring. Last night I dropped in to the online lobby and instead of running qualifying laps I spent the whole time retuning the car before the race. Did something change, maybe related to tire wear? I was in a 4WD Evo and in prior weeks it was understeering like crazy. This week, it had uncontrollable oversteer and was very unpredictable.
 
I do know if you tune offline and take it online you'll have all kinds of problems...

I have no idea if they changed the physics or not, though, if you tested it online and it was fine and now its not, they may have tweaked something...
 
I was testing online. The only change to the car I made was adding a custom transmission because I was topping out on the straight. That shouldn't have made any difference to the handling though.
 
The Triumph Spitfire is one of the cars where I actually note a very noticeable difference in its online behaviour, and particularly on certain tracks, (compared to practice with the same settings).
And I have been racing the Spitfire with some other people the last few days in my lounge, and other people's lounges. And I saw no difference at all this morning, compared with other days or last week - with the same exact car, same restrictions, same set-up. (We were on Le Mans & Monte Carlo.)

That said, I've noticed people seem to be having more problems since the upgrade with disconnects, & problems that I would normally attribute to either connecting to PSN, or cache neglect issues.

The only PUBLIC lobbies I've raced in since the upgrade, was in shuffle races... So it would be hard for me to say if there was a difference. I know some people say they notice a difference between pub lobbies & your lounge. So I can't speak to that possibility.

As for transmission settings not changing the handling... Well, I don't know about that. Some of the cars I have do seem to change in handling depending on the transmission settings! Or at least I sense some kind of difference, when I change the top speed for example, or tinker with gears. Mainly I see a difference in handling in heavy cars with a good amount of hp, and the maxed out RM Capp. (Could be because I'm pretty stinky with really heavy cars & the maxed out RM Capp, and so any little change can trip me up!)
 
i have noticed a difference pre and post 1.10. i can't my finger on it quite yet.
 
Yes I saw they did something about guard rail bouncing. Somewhat unrelated to the handling issues I've been seeing. I rarely touch the barriers but I have been amazed in pre 1.10 races how little it affected drivers in front of me. Nothing is more frustrating than seeing someone bounce off the wall and maintain pace.

This video I ran very clean for 3 laps in my Challenger. The vette was a little faster through the turns but despite hitting walls on the sweepers he'd always bounce back without losing any speed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0TL4gk63Nc

I imagine with this new update I would be able to pull away from him after his first encounter with the wall.
 
I was testing a stock GT-R '07 for my SSCS race event a few days ago & it had a lot of grip & was fairly easy to drive, however today I tried it & it semed much more twitchy, I had some trouble driving it & really enjoyed the challenge.

I have another PS3 with the 1.09 update on it, so I might do a direct comparison & get back to you.


Hmmm...
 
I think I read once that there was a glitch when tuning cars and some settings did the opposite of what they're supposed to do, perhaps they fixed that?
 
Well I had used the glitch to some extent (high front, low rear) to induce some oversteer into an EVO that simply wanted to understeer all the time. It was well balanced before with a ride height of -10/-15 and getting decent tire wear. After the patch, I had to revert it to -10/-10 because the car was very loose in the rear. It's still loose and unpredictable at Nurburgring. I spent 20 minutes trying get the car to behave but I never got it quite right.

If there is a change, I don't think it is related to ride height. It could possibly be due to car weight. The car was very bouncy. I ended up almost doubling the spring rates to get the car to feel grounded again.
 
Yes I saw they did something about guard rail bouncing. Somewhat unrelated to the handling issues I've been seeing. I rarely touch the barriers but I have been amazed in pre 1.10 races how little it affected drivers in front of me. Nothing is more frustrating than seeing someone bounce off the wall and maintain pace.

This video I ran very clean for 3 laps in my Challenger. The vette was a little faster through the turns but despite hitting walls on the sweepers he'd always bounce back without losing any speed.

That sort of thing always mystifies me too.

And I really don't want to dash your hopes.

But today in the race elginge was referring to (in the previous post above)... I had a different experience than elginge, in regards specifically to walls.
(I think of barriers as more like the tires on tokyo, or cones, or those crazy boxes on nurb gd/p.)

At any rate, we were in Triumph Spitfires... and my maximum speed in the draft on the straight at Le Mans (no chicanes) was something like a breathless....... 150mph. :lol:
So maybe going faster it would've made a difference... I don't know.
Anyway, I made a dufus drafting prediction error on the straight, and wound up needing (to avoid collision), to overtake 2 cars on the left side of them (3 wide), right at the point where the straight bends at a bit of a smidgen angle. :ouch:
At the time it seemed like I made it through the situation without incident or contact, even if it was a bit sloppy & quite inappropriate.
After watching the replay... the replay told a different story.
I didn't make contact with a car. But in the replay it shows my car making contact with the wall, bouncing off it, and continuing unaffected.
I felt no such contact with the wall at the time. I certainly didn't experience a bouncing effect that appears in the replay. And I don't know what other people saw, though I'll be asking the people.
To me it seemed at the time that I had successfully settled my car under control & carefully steered & made it. In the replay it looks like my car was out of control & bouncing off the wall, and seemingly no worse for wear.

So it makes me have questions about whether the experience & feedback within a race is not quite the same as what is observed by other drivers, or in the replay.
For example, one wonders if the guy in the Corvette in the video was even experiencing what you observed from your car, or what you observed in the replay.

Englinge in the same race as me in the Spitfires, he hit a barrier at a turn at Indianapolis I believe - and that's where he was saying the walls slow you down more, but if it was the incident I'm thinking of he was hitting at an angle (due to hard braking to avoid me I'm sorry to say).

I can't say that before the update I'd ever seen anything like this in a replay. But maybe it never happened before. On any other occasions I'd see myself scrape or hit a wall in a replay, I would well remember the incident happening at the time!

That said, when damage is on (light or heavy doesn't matter), there are times that I HAVE hit walls, or even cars, and not gotten any damage. And times I've hit walls or cars, seemingly less hard, and did get damage.
But I've never gotten damage without having felt an impact of any sort.


As for the ride height issues... I have been long convinced that they have something to do with the weight distribution of particular cars.
That said, I love the new ballast display in the tuning. Big improvement.
But I would say that ballast has not changed any, as the same applies now as it ever did to my Spitfire, and yes, I'm using a bit of ballast bias in it. No change since the update in the feel of the car. Just more info in the ballast display. It now shows actual weight distribution in relation to ballast position.

Oh, and I can also confirm that at least 2 other cars - no change. (But neither of them are using ballast. And only one is high HP.)
 
Last edited:
I had my Focus dialed in before the update, cornering like a go kart. First lap out after the update it's back to it's old understeering self. Go into the tuning settings, the progress I'd made in the last 2 weeks is gone, and it's reverted to the old settings. Luckily I keep tuning sheets on all my go to cars so I put the latest settings back on it and it was back to normal. Checked a couple of other cars and they too had reverted to older settings. I imagine all the cars I've tuned in the last couple of weeks have changed...wonderful...lol.
 
I had my Subaru WRX '10 tuned for a race, then I bought the custom transmission and I noticed a huge difference in the car behaviour, it was maxed out (but de-tuned to about 390 bhp), and tuned to get rid of the annoying understeer it had on Sport Hards (still online). But when I bought the custom gearbox, it suddenly became very loose, it losed traction out of a corner a lot easier. If it's a glitch, it makes a semi- or fully tuned 4WD (as far as I've experienced) understeer if it still has the stock gearbox.
 
I had my Focus dialed in before the update, cornering like a go kart. First lap out after the update it's back to it's old understeering self. Go into the tuning settings, the progress I'd made in the last 2 weeks is gone, and it's reverted to the old settings. Luckily I keep tuning sheets on all my go to cars so I put the latest settings back on it and it was back to normal. Checked a couple of other cars and they too had reverted to older settings. I imagine all the cars I've tuned in the last couple of weeks have changed...wonderful...lol.

Hmmmmm... That would sure explain why a car wasn't handling like you'd tuned it!
I haven't had that happen that I've noticed yet. But now I'm going to go & check all my favourite cars! I just know that the 3 or 4 I've used since the update, I haven't seen any difference in handling... and no changes to my settings or reverting to default.

And as for my experience with having bounced off the wall in a replay when I didn't experience it in the race... Someone else said had that experience - but they believe that it's just that at the time, maybe my focus was intensely on damage control that maybe it didn't register at the time that the impact had taken place. I suppose that could be the case. My memory might be going. :lol: And I do tend to get tight when I'm worried about crashing, particularly possibly crashing someone else, or having done something stupid.

But the fact still remains that the bouncing action against the wall did not seem to slow me down or anything. When by rights, in reality it should have... if I hit the wall - there should be no way I would be continuing on as if nothing had occurred... if it was supposed to be realistic.

So I'm still thinking there's no improvement in this update for that. Maybe if you make an angled enough glancing off a wall, with a certain part of your car, it does slow you down more. And I'm thinking it has more to do with rally type rules... the way that penalties are issued in the game. In other words, maybe if you hit with the right part of your car, glancing off the barrier or wall with a certain part of your car, it causes a more increased bad effect now... but if you glance off with the "right" part of your car, there's still the bouncing with no ill effects.
I've been in pub lobbies with penalties on heavy or damage on, where some dirty driver joins, and it's OBVIOUS that the person has learned ways to use the penalty system to hit other cars in just the right way that it gives the other car the penalty and/or damage, and they can get away with it with no penalty or damage.
I'm sure this must also work with hitting walls.
Kind of like certain short-cut penalties can be "worth it" if people do it the "right way" for the effect. (meaning they'll take the penalty but still get the advantage of using the shortcut by doing it dishonestly knowing what exactly will occur)

And apparently that situation has not been improved with the new update.
And that's quite disappointing.
 
Back