WOAH!!!! Prost in 2008 F1 with Nissan

• Thread starter Drift260Z
  • 19 comments
hachi_kid
there has been rumors that 4-time World Champion Alain Prost may rejoin the Formula 1 grid in 2008 with Nissan. !!!!!! that is crazy! I would love to see Prost back on the grid imo, along with Hakkinen. that's just me though. with Bruno Senna coming up, we may see another Prost vs. Senna battle. oooo, that'd be nice.

linky

damn straight! :cool:

One problem;

Should Nissan decide to enter Formula One, they would need to take over an existing team.

Theres really only two realistic teams they can take over, Williams and Super Aguri, Williams will prob be rebadged Lexus not before long and Super Aguri will always be known as a Honda B team.

Bee
Theres really only two realistic teams they can take over, Williams and Super Aguri, Williams will prob be rebadged Lexus not before long and Super Aguri will always be known as a Honda B team.

Or:

F1 website
Rumours earlier this year indicated that Renault, who owns just over 40 percent of Nissan, were considering simply changing the name of its Formula One team to Nissan.

Hmmm nah I think with their recent success, it will stay Renault..

All for a larger market you know..
;)

Why do they have to buy another team? Why not got it alone, per se?
I think it's because all the teams have been signed up and registered for the next few years already. The only way to enter now is to buy another team and their liscence of sort.

Doesnt it also cost a ton of $, making it hard to enter a team without heavy, heavy financial backing? Not sure Nissan would invest that much into an F1 team.

This wouldn't put Prost back on the Grid. He'd prolly just be in the upper management., not driving. (if anyone is confused). Dont think any other former drivers are considering starting a team anytime soon either.

Doesnt it also cost a ton of $, making it hard to enter a team without heavy, heavy financial backing? Not sure Nissan would invest that much into an F1 team.

This wouldn't put Prost back on the Grid. He'd prolly just be in the upper management., not driving. (if anyone is confused). Dont think any other former drivers are considering starting a team anytime soon either.

Well at one point at the tail end of last year, Alesi was hinting at a "Direxiv McLaren B Team"..

Yeah, I can't see how he would get back in the driver's seat, even as a test driver. It doesn't mention it anywhere in the story, either.

That's an old rumor (look at this thread from last year), which has been revived 2 days ago by an article published by a french newspaper : le Journal du Dimanche, which mentions Nissan in F1 in 2008 with Alain Prost as the future team manager.
I'm still looking for the original article, I only found it mentioned in several car blogs.

Edit :
I'll see if I can still buy that newspaper tomorrow.
Meanwhile, the main points of that article are :
  • the idea would be to increase Nissan market shares and popularity by directly competing against Toyota and Honda ;
  • the team would be a joint-venture between Prost and Renault-Nissan ;
  • according to Nissan, it's only a possible option ;
  • that wouldn't affect the existing Renault F1 team.

Edit 2 :
What about that : Nissan builds super high-speed test track :mischievous:

I would be dum to give prost a race seat. Because he is simply too old. And Nissan have never had a history in F1 and are not really prominent in any international motorsport at the moment so it is silly to think they would start a team now.

As of 2008, the new Concorde agreement will take effect, and thus reducing the cost for entering F1 substantially. Instead there will be a 24 car grid limit (as it already is), wich will be full from 2007 with Prodrive (IIRC) entering.

Prodrive was rumored at first do be a McLaren B team (Direxiv), but those plans were cancelled for one reason or another.

In a magazine I was reading the other day it had a piece on Super Agurris rise through the system this season. It cost them £48Million/$48Million to enter the season on it's own. I think it was Stirling.

As of 2008, the new Concorde agreement will take effect, and thus reducing the cost for entering F1 substantially. Instead there will be a 24 car grid limit (as it already is), wich will be full from 2007 with Prodrive (IIRC) entering.

Prodrive was rumored at first do be a McLaren B team (Direxiv), but those plans were cancelled for one reason or another.

Prodrive will not be on the grids till 2008 I thought? Either way, it will eb great to see David Richards back in the sport. :)

In a magazine I was reading the other day it had a piece on Super Agurris rise through the system this season. It cost them £48Million/$48Million to enter the season on it's own. I think it was Stirling.

It costs £48million to enter, but that sum is paid back over a number of years. The theory was that in order to prove a new team had the funds to stay alive in F1, they had to show they could stump up the cash upfront. The reason for that was to get rid of the el cheapo no-hope teams who weren't really serious or professional that filled the grids to bursting in the late 80s/early 90s. This time they've reduced the entry fee, but placed a restriction on the number of teams that can enter.

Bee
Prodrive will not be on the grids till 2008 I thought? Either way, it will eb great to see David Richards back in the sport. :)

Maybe it was, I wasn´t sure! But I agree, It will be great having Richards back!

Will we ever see the 25 or 26 car fields of the 90's ever again? I dont know if its any good but didnt the F.I.A put a limit on the number of cars and teams allowed to compete in the championship?

Will we ever see the 25 or 26 car fields of the 90's ever again? I dont know if its any good but didnt the F.I.A put a limit on the number of cars and teams allowed to compete in the championship?

I think it's more a safety issue than anything else. Plus, some course facilities can only cater for 24 F1 cars.

It's a shame as a couple of years back we would be lucky to get 10 teams, now we have around 15 itching to get a place but with only 12 available..

Back