Women-Only driving Machines Extremely Nicely (based on video games) program (W.O.M.E.N.)

Good Idea? Bad Idea?

• Good Idea

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Bad Idea

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • I don't care

Votes: 6 40.0%

• Total voters
United States
United States
So, in IMSA, there is the now the first ever all women racing team with the Michael Shank #57 Acura NSX and F1 is starting the W series in May, which is a Women Only F1 series. Plus we have Abby Eaton on the Grand Tour. So...why not a Women's Only GT Academy-esque program? I think it could be fun and we could get more women racing drivers out there. Pretty much doing what the W Series is doing only with GT cars.

Women-Only racing series are already a very contentious issue, and really I can't see a need for a virtual one; there's no barrier to entry, and no one has to know you're a woman online if you're worried about rampant sexism.

But, wouldn't the rampant sexism and the fact that a women-only series is a contentious issue be a reason FOR a virtual one? I mean, with the All Women Acura team, and the fact that a women came in 2nd and 3rd overall in the 2018 season of IMSA and 2nd overall in 2017, and won in 2016 (all GT Daytona) means that there are REALLY fast women drivers already.

Gran Turismo AI has no gender; if you're racing against E. Jones, F. Charles or G. Nathanson there's no reason they have to be male. ;)

When you're doing hundreds of miles an hour, it really doesn't matter what your gender is or what you identify as. What matters is whether or not you can win the race. If you can, great, if not, stink. Simple as that.

Just as much chance of a woman winning as a man winning provided the equipment provides a level playing field.

The supposed reason for the women only F1 series was because of funding issues - getting into Motorsport is very expensive and you need to get people to sponsor you.

A women's only GT Academy and any other virtual championship is completely unnecessary because all you need is a Playstation and a TV, not even 1% of the budget you need for real motorsports. If you can't even afford that, you could borrow the console from a friend or family member.

I really wish this current mindset that's around of segregating groups/identities and giving special treatment based solely on gender, ethnicity, political views or whatever may have you would go away. Is it really so hard to look at everyone as just another human and promote each other on merit alone?

The supposed reason for the women only F1 series was because of funding issues - getting into Motorsport is very expensive and you need to get people to sponsor you.

A women's only GT Academy and any other virtual championship is completely unnecessary because all you need is a Playstation and a TV, not even 1% of the budget you need for real motorsports. If you can't even afford that, you could borrow the console from a friend or family member.

I really wish this current mindset that's around of segregating groups/identities and giving special treatment based solely on gender, ethnicity, political views or whatever may have you would go away. Is it really so hard to look at everyone as just another human and promote each other on merit alone?
It is really so hard... for a minority of people across the earth.

I prefer to make love. Not war.

I can see it now. Guys register as women to make it to a regional final.

When they physically arrive all participants are dudes taking the piss because motorsports games just arent popular with women.

At the end of the day noone knows or cares about your gender online unless you make a big deal about it.

So, in IMSA, there is the now the first ever all women racing team with the Michael Shank #57 Acura NSX and F1 is starting the W series in May, which is a Women Only F1 series. Plus we have Abby Eaton on the Grand Tour. So...why not a Women's Only GT Academy-esque program? I think it could be fun and we could get more women racing drivers out there. Pretty much doing what the W Series is doing only with GT cars.

It's not produced by the FOM (owners of F1) nor is it an F1 series, there is only one F1 series. There are several women driving in GT cars, one only has to look at the American Blancpain series, or GTD, or Michelin Pilot Challenge and other GT series and series in general.

Latest Posts

Back