Woo! New toys!Music 

  • Thread starter Thread starter Shannon
  • 6 comments
  • 637 views
Messages
15,799
These babies just arrived today! :D



My bridge pickup in my guitar at the moment decided to kick the bucket (probably just a short circuit in the wiring or something, but a good excuse to spend money on new pups none the less!) so I decided to get some new ones. I opted for a SH-13 Dimebucker (bridge) and a SH-1 '59 PAF humbucker (neck). Because I play both heavy metal and classic rock, it seemed like the best combination. For those who aren't aware, the Dimebucker is Dimebag Darrell's (Pantera) signature pup. ;)

I'll get some more pics when I get them into the guitar, but at the moment I am without a soldering iron (or any solder). So, I'm forced to look at them for now. :(

And yes, my camera does take 'effing horrible photos. :(
 
Congratulations on the new pups :D:tup:

When you do get them into the guitar... change your avatar! :p
 
Cool. I usually don't like fuzz, but Dimebag's tone I like. I didn't think his pickups could do much other than extreme distortion, but then I heard "Planet Caravan". What kind of tones are you looking to get out of them? Like Zeppelin? btw, what kind of guitar do you have?
 
ceiling_fan
Cool. I usually don't like fuzz, but Dimebag's tone I like. I didn't think his pickups could do much other than extreme distortion, but then I heard "Planet Caravan". What kind of tones are you looking to get out of them? Like Zeppelin? btw, what kind of guitar do you have?
I'm not really after any specific tones. Maybe a bit of Floyd (yeah I know Gilmour uses a Strat and single-coils :p) and Sabbath, but other than that I primarily play heavy palm-muted metal.

Just a cheap Samick Avion. I kinda feel embarrased putting these pickups in the guitar, considering they cost nearly as much as the guitar itself! :lol:
 
Shannon
I'm not really after any specific tones. Maybe a bit of Floyd (yeah I know Gilmour uses a Strat and single-coils :p) and Sabbath, but other than that I primarily play heavy palm-muted metal.

Just a cheap Samick Avion. I kinda feel embarrased putting these pickups in the guitar, considering they cost nearly as much as the guitar itself! :lol:
People put stuff costing twice the car into Hondas all the time, why shouldn't your guitar have a treat ;)
 
Seymour Duncan's are sweet, fat, warm sounding pickups. They should do fine.

A SH13 and an ol' 59, eh? Should make some interesting sounds and tones. 👍

When you buy solder and an iron, don't forget to buy flux. Rosin flux is pretty much a guitar industry standard, so buy that kind. Even if have flux core solder, still buy the rosin flux. That "flux free" flux core solder is crap. Just buy regular solder, and then a tiny jar of rosin flux.
 
Well, I went over a friends house yesterday who has a soldering iron and we threw them in. Not a bad job considering neither of us had any real idea what to do at first. :p



You can see the bad paint job I did on the neck pickup casing. It was originally cream, but I decided to paint it black to match the Dimebucker's case. I probably should've spent the money on a spray can instead of using that old black touch up paint I found lying around.

Anyway, onto the pickups. Well, I must say the '59 has 'effing high mids! Being in the neck position doesn't help much either, but damn! The Dimebucker, as you'd expect, puts out a pretty damn impressive metal tone. It's not as trebbley as I was expecting, so its actually pretty good for rhythm too. 👍
 
Back