Wordpress database conflict help needed!

sesselpupser

Bearded Member
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
neema_t
Hi all,

Short version: How would one go about moving a Wordpress database from /web/test to /web without breaking all the links?

Long version: So my girlfriend wanted to get her portfolio site off of Cargo and onto a Wordpress... Thing. I'm not a web developer so I have no idea how it works, but basically she designed the whole thing as a 'test' site alongside her original Cargo site, the idea was then to change the domain name A record to the Wordpress hosting and be done with it... In theory.

Let's say her site was "google.com", she had that hosted on Cargo but then (somehow, I don't fully understand how) built a full Wordpress site under "google.com/test". When it was finished she asked me to help make it live, because we had to do some hosts file editing to be able to actually edit her site on my laptop only ("google.com/test" wasn't available from any other device, only this laptop). So I cloned the database as "google.com" and deleted the "google.com/test" database, but that broke the entire site and it was giving us HTTP 500 errors, so I cloned "google.com" back as "google.com/test". Now if you go to her site without /test it will work, but it occasionally wants to point you to google.com/test/[project name]... But not always. Also making edits in google.com/wp-admin has no effect, but making edits to google.com/test/wp-admin does affect the not-test site at google.com.

This was fine for a short while, but now there's an issue where an image sometimes appears, sometimes doesn't and I'm assuming it's a conflict between the configurations of the two versions of the database, I'm sure it's something like /wp-admin and /test/wp-admin don't agree so the image sometimes doesn't appear. As I've got a few days off work I want to fix this for her, but Wordpress confuses the hell out of me and I have no idea what I'm doing. I've read about MAMP, and I'm baffled as to how this site was ever built without it because it sounds like something pretty mandatory, I'm also not sure how I would now use that to do anything because it was all built online. I'm trying a plugin called Duplicator but I don't think that does what I want to do, which is basically to move a database up to the root level of the /web folder. Most things I'm reading say "use mysql" but I don't know how I'd use mysql to do this on the remote server, if my laptop was the server then maybe I'd understand but I just don't.

Thanks and please help!

Back