Working class heroes

• Thread starter SagarisGTB
  • 18 comments
Subaru Impreza WRX Sti TypeR

Great car stock, but seriously impressive when modded. I gave the car all the best modifications except I did NOT buy a racing modification. I adjusted the gear ratios to give me a max speed of around 205 mph, but I didnt touch any other settings. Car has 494hp and just over 2300lbs. That doesnt sound that great but look what It did when I tried racing it in the events.

Sunday Cup - 1st
Clubman Cup - 1st
Gran Turismo Cup - 1st
Gran Turismo World Cup - 1st

FF Challenge - not eligible
FR Challenge - not eligible
4WD Challenge - 1st
Lightweight battle stage - not eligible
Anglo - Japanese SCC - 1st
US - Japan SCC - 1st
Anglo - American SCC - not eligible
Megaspeed cup - 2nd
Normal Car World Speed Contest - not eligible
Hard Tuned Car Speed Contest - 1st
Grand Valley 300km - 1st
SS Route 11 Race - 1st
SS Route 11 Race II - 1st

Are there any other cars than can pull impressive records like this?

I admire you for being honest about your 2nd place at MegaSpeed! A lot of folks it seems are afraid to admit when they lose.

Last edited:
Any turbo GTO should be able to do much the same. Except it would slaughter the Mega Speed as well.

I won the Grand Valley 300 once with a maxed TVR Cerbera with no race-modification.

There are quite a few cars that win all the eligable races that they enter, the only difference is that I do Race Mod them so that I can play with the downforce. I haven't got the stats with me but I'll look them out and hopefully post them tomorrow.

Not as many as I first thought. Here are the all gold club cars: -

Concept Car Race version, GT World Cup, US v Japan, UK v US, Grand Valley & All Night I
Viper GTS R, GT World Cup, US v Japan, UK v US, Grand Valley & All Night I
NSX-R Le Mans GT-2, GT World Cup, US v Japan, UK v Japan, Grand Valley & All Night I
S14 Silvia Le Mans Edition, GT World Cup, US v Japan, UK v Japan, Grand Valley & All Night I
Castrol Supra GT, GT World Cup, US v Japan, UK v Japan, Grand Valley & All Night I
Cerbera Le Mans Edition, GT Wrld Cup, UK v Japan, UK v US, Grand Valley & All Night I

The other races I didn't enter as they wouldn't be up against Race cars.

I had a Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX Sti Version III which I developed from stock and it won 16 races, the only let down's being the Normal Car race where it got 2nd place twice and Megaspeed where it got 6th place. This makes an average placing per race of 1.4

I once beat the Normal series with the Impreza'94 Wagon, by the skin-of-my-teeth. (probably couldn't repeat it at the time, let alone now; there was no NSX in the lineup, and I won GVEii on the last corner. I came 2nd at Deep Forest II, as I expected, and was lacking in speed at SSR11 and came 3rd.

I won with the prize Impreza from the series a couple of times; not sure whether I avoided the NSX or not, and with a new Impreza Type R a couple of times, too.

Eventually I was able to beat fields having both the NSX and TRD using the Impreza '95 WRX STi II Sedan. (2nd at Grand Valley East II, and 3rd at Deep
Forest II to win by one point, 37 to 36).

But I never did a lot of racing with non-race-modified cars in race-modified events, which I think is what SagarisGTB is interested in.

There are lots of cars which can win everything they're eligible for if you allow race-modification and max-turbo; most Skyline GT-R's, all turbo GTO's, Supra RZ new and used. All three of those can win the Normal, too.

The Silvia'88 K's can win everything including the Mega (at least if you cheat and allow race-modification for that event). I appears I won the Mega Speed with that car not race-modified, too. Strangely finishing 4th, 1st and 1st for 21 points. That required point-juggling by the opponents to win, I guess. I would think with practice I should have been able to come first, or at least do better, at the first High Speed Ring event, too. Surprisingly, I did win at the Test Track. Actually, I won't swear that the car wasn't race-modified for that; I can't find a record of winning with a race-modified version and I'm sure I did, so it's not unlikely I transcribed my log incorrectly.

But, in any case, I think you'll find the Silvia'88 K's a true working-class hero. I'd guess it could win lots of races against race-mods without race-mod, but I didn't try extensively. Winning the Normal Series would be a real stretch, however; I wouldn't be able to do it--it's a good 100hp down on power. I doubt I could win it using a newer +200hp stock Silvia either, but other people might.

(Note: K's good; Q's BAD)

In GT1 you can use a trick to economically use Normal, Tuned and race-modified versions of the same car.

Use "memory-card trade" to clone the bare-bones stock car twice, giving three instances in total. Then race-modify one of the copies and weight-reduce the other, leaving the original "stock". Probably do Engine Balance & Polish to both the cloned cars, too. Now here's the neat part. Go buy all the parts you want for one of those cars, and they will be available for the other two! (You can't leave them fitted to the "Normal" car if you want to enter the "Normal" race, of course).

You know, I'd think at least some people might be able to win everything with a non-race-modified turbo GTO or Skyline GT-R without doing any "permanent" mods. I.e. without Weight Reduction or Engine Balance & Polish. Then they could use a single instance of a car to win every event for which it's eligible, including (after removing all the parts, e.g. at Machine Test) the Normal. It would be difficult, though; stock Skylines and especially GTO's are very heavy.

SportWagon
But I never did a lot of racing with non-race-modified cars in race-modified events, which I think is what SagarisGTB is interested in.

I didn't either, I figured that if you were up against race moded cars you might as well use a race moded car to try and win.

Didn't always work!!!!

SportWagon
There are lots of cars which can win everything they're eligible for if you allow race-modification and max-turbo; most Skyline GT-R's, all turbo GTO's, Supra RZ new and used. All three of those can win the Normal, too.

R32 Skyline '91 GT-R only struggled with Normal Car race getting 2nd and 3rd giving it an APR of 1.2

GTO Twinturbo got 2nd place twice in the Normal Car race, struggled with the Clubman Cup coming 3rd, 2nd and finally 1st and got 5th on the GT Cup giving it an APR of 1.4

Supra RZ got 3rd twice and finally got 1st in the Normal Car race, got 2nd and 4th on All Night II giving it an APR of 1.4

SportWagon
The Silvia'88 K's can win everything including the Mega (at least if you cheat and allow race-modification for that event).But, in any case, I think you'll find the Silvia'88 K's a true working-class hero. I'd guess it could win lots of races against race-mods without race-mod, but I didn't try extensively. Winning the Normal Series would be a real stretch, however; I wouldn't be able to do it--it's a good 100hp down on power. I doubt I could win it using a newer +200hp stock Silvia either, but other people might.

I found the S13 Silvia Q's 1800cc a real struggle to win at the higher races, it has an APR of 3.8 which will be one of the highest scores out of my 30 odd cars. The S14 Silvia Le Mans Edition had an APR og 1 which means it won every race it entered, however it only raced in 5 races which are all Race moded car races.

SportWagon
You know, I'd think at least some people might be able to win everything with a non-race-modified turbo GTO or Skyline GT-R without doing any "permanent" mods. I.e. without Weight Reduction or Engine Balance & Polish. Then they could use a single instance of a car to win every event for which it's eligible, including (after removing all the parts, e.g. at Machine Test) the Normal. It would be difficult, though; stock Skylines and especially GTO's are very heavy.

The Nismo 400R, one of my fav cars from the game is the only car that gets an APR of 1.1, it only struggled with Megaspeed where it got 2nd both times.

TMM
SportWagon
But, in any case, I think you'll find the Silvia'88 K's a true working-class hero. I'd guess it could win lots of races against race-mods without race-mod, but I didn't try extensively. Winning the Normal Series would be a real stretch, however; I wouldn't be able to do it--it's a good 100hp down on power. I doubt I could win it using a newer +200hp stock Silvia either, but other people might.

I found the S13 Silvia Q's 1800cc a real struggle to win at the higher races, it has an APR of 3.8 which will be one of the highest scores out of my 30 odd cars. The S14 Silvia Le Mans Edition had an APR og 1 which means it won every race it entered, however it only raced in 5 races which are all Race moded car races.
Q's very bad. K's good.

That is, whenever you buy a Silvia, make sure its a K's (turbo) version; it will upgrade to a lot more power than the corresponding Q's (NA) version.

Perhaps differences between US and PAL versions meant cars weren't as competitive in the Normal series in PAL. Possibly you are a bit more honest about avoiding wall contact, etc, than I am.

But with lots of practice, I could fairly reliably win the Normal with the cars I mention, similar to the ones you mention. And eventually a few FD RX-7's too.

Someone from Finland claimed to have won it with the GT Cup prize Camaro.

Several people from the US claim a win with the Eclipse GT is possible. And even the Aston Martin DB7!

How were your cars tuned for the Clubman Cup? Do you mean stock? Similarly for the GT Cup? A Clubman Cup win would be a real walkover for a hard-tuned GTO.

Eventually I found the Normal supercars (Vipers, TVRs etc.) could win the FR series relatively easily in stock form. (As long as they were FR, of course).

I can't see an obvious formula for the APR figures you are quoting.

It's not simply total positions divided by total races, nor even the best positions divided by the number of best races.

What formula do you actually use?

TMM
Not as many as I first thought. Here are the all gold club cars: -

Concept Car Race version, GT World Cup, US v Japan, UK v US, Grand Valley & All Night I
Viper GTS R, GT World Cup, US v Japan, UK v US, Grand Valley & All Night I
NSX-R Le Mans GT-2, GT World Cup, US v Japan, UK v Japan, Grand Valley & All Night I
S14 Silvia Le Mans Edition, GT World Cup, US v Japan, UK v Japan, Grand Valley & All Night I
Castrol Supra GT, GT World Cup, US v Japan, UK v Japan, Grand Valley & All Night I
Cerbera Le Mans Edition, GT Wrld Cup, UK v Japan, UK v US, Grand Valley & All Night I

The other races I didn't enter as they wouldn't be up against Race cars.

I had a Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX Sti Version III which I developed from stock and it won 16 races, the only let down's being the Normal Car race where it got 2nd place twice and Megaspeed where it got 6th place. This makes an average placing per race of 1.4

Haven't see you for awhile. What new?

SportWagon
But with lots of practice, I could fairly reliably win the Normal with the How were your cars tuned for the Clubman Cup? Do you mean stock? Similarly for the GT Cup? A Clubman Cup win would be a real walkover for a hard-tuned GTO.

For the Clubman Cup the cars had the following mods: -

Racing Tires,
Brake & Suspension,
Mission & Weight reduction.

For the GT Cup it was as above but with Muffler & Engine.

SportWagon
I can't see an obvious formula for the APR figures you are quoting.

It's not simply total positions divided by total races, nor even the best positions divided by the number of best races.

What formula do you actually use?

Its simple, number of race places divided by number of races with Gold getting 1, silver 2 etc. It is further complicated that if a car gets silver then I do the race again after doing the next level of upgrade, if the car gets bronze then I do the race twice more after doing the next level of upgrade.

So when the Crysler Concept Car, B License win, came 3rd in the GT Cup I raced it twice more in that Cup getting 1st both times.

I only use the APR as a guide for me and only quoted the figures to illistrate the difference in the cars based upon my racing. Sometimes it depends how well you are racing, whether you are interrupted or feel sleepy etc.

Parnelli Bone
Haven't see you for awhile. What new?

Hi. It has been a while, been compiling my race details, started GT2 & GT4 though I am only racing in GT4 as I messed up in GT2 and want to re-start.

Well, I bought a Cerbera and Fully-tuned it minus the race mod. I dont have the time to put it through all its eligible races so I tried the hardest ones.

The GT World cup -1st
I gave my shiny black cerbera all the best mods (minus race mod and hard stabilizers, opted for medium) but i didnt touch the settings. I didnt need to, I won all the races except for Deep Forest and HSR. I could have finished second or maybe even first at HSR but spun on the S-bends on my last lap and let the Nismo GTR LM and Impreza RE through so I finished fourth. Deep Forest just isnt my track in GT1, I also didnt do well with the Impreza here. The other races were fairly easy, easier than with the Impreza.

MegaSpeed Cup -2nd
Now this was a shocker, my 436 hp Cerbera did unbelievably well.
The first race at HSR was difficult because I started 4th, but I went through the field and finished .5 back of the winning GTO. I was gaining on him, if there was a third lap, I would have won.
The second race at the Test course started looking bad because I was 3 seconds off the pace in qualifying and started dead last. Things looked better during the race as my 436 hp Cerbera was doing 210 without drafting and in the 220s with drafting. I finished the race .6 back of the GTO while in his draft. Again, I was gaining on him and if there was another lap, I would have won. And this was with untouched settings.
The third race was at HSR II. I got pole and won even with a spin at the S-bends on my second lap. I beat a 900hp GTO with a car that has less than half the HP, with a spin. Talk about a great car.

Unlike the Impreza, the Cerbera stood a chance against the GTO in the Megaspeed, maybe ill go back and try to win this series someday with the car.

Im pretty sure the Cerbera should have no problems winning all the other races its eligible for.

The Cerbera rocks, no doubt. It was the first car I managed to win the Special Stage Route 11 enduro with. Now the Griffith on the other hand is a true sports car;; complete with a temper!

Last edited:
Parnelli Bone
The Cerbera rocks, no doubt. It was the first car i managed to win the Special Stage Route 11 enduro with. Now the Griffith on the other hand is a true sports car;; complete with a temper!

I would agree that the Cerbera is a great car, however it does have a temper as well, maybe not as bad as the Griffith but treat it badly and it will bite back!!!!

SagarisGTB
Now this was a shocker, my 436 hp Cerbera did unbelievably well. I beat a 900hp GTO with a car that has less than half the HP, with a spin. Talk about a great car.

Not really, the Cerbera weighs a lot less than the GTO but still with a good high HP count so it moves quick. The power to weight ratio of the Cerbera will be better than the GTO hence the reason why it can catch and pass the supposidly faster car.

TMM
I would agree that the Cerbera is a great car, however it does have a temper as well, maybe not as bad as the Griffith but treat it badly and it will bite back!!!!

The Griffith is a ghetto pitbull, ready to bite, ready to get crazy. The Cerbera has been house trained a bit (i remember it was easier to drive), but you right...it also can get ugly, too

In GT1 you can use a trick to economically use Normal, Tuned and race-modified versions of the same car.

Use "memory-card trade" to clone the bare-bones stock car twice, giving three instances in total. Then race-modify one of the copies and weight-reduce the other, leaving the original "stock". Probably do Engine Balance & Polish to both the cloned cars, too. Now here's the neat part. Go buy all the parts you want for one of those cars, and they will be available for the other two! (You can't leave them fitted to the "Normal" car if you want to enter the "Normal" race, of course).
QUOTE]

When you say use memory card trade to "clone" the stock cars, are you meaning without having to pay for them? If so how is this done? Thanks

Could you or a moderator please edit that post to fix the formatting?

No, you need to pay for them, but, especially in the case of prize cars, you do not need to pay very much. It seems like cloning because, although it's called "Memory Card Trade", the "seller" doesn't really lose their copy of the car.

The economy comes from the "parts-sharing".

Actually, for everything but prize cars, multiple copies can be bought straight from the dealership. Even for used cars. You can fill your garage with that ultra-cheap Silvia, if you want. Unlike GT4, the day counter does not increase when you purchase a car. (And GT4 was the first game to mark a used car as "sold", although you can still clone it via Memory Card trade, if you have enough cash).

Back