Working holidays thread

• Thread starter cjr3559
  • 8 comments

cjr3559

Premium
United States
Ohio
cjr3559
So who here has to work most (if not all) holidays? When everyone else gets to enjoy extra time off, do you find your job makes you work even more?

I'm in the passenger transportation business and this happens to me every holiday (not just Christmas).

Share your tales of woe! :indiff:

Monday through Friday, 7:30a-4:00p (8:00a-4:30p for me because kids), 10 US holidays off, no exceptions. :D

I like consistency so this schedule fits me quite nicely.

That would be me, at least for the foreseeable future. And if my business doesn't work out, the job I want to get will also require me to work most holidays, perhaps even harder. To be honest though, it kind of works for me. I get frustrated when I have a goal to complete but have to take time off...

My old job used to 4 days at work (10 hour shifts 6.30AM-4.30PM) and 4 days rest. it was good I got 4 days off from work to do whatever I wanted. But that means I had to work weekends and during public holidays with no extra pay, But the worst part was last Christmas. I was at work on Christmas eve till 4.30pm then back in again at 6.30am on boxing day and at work again on the 27th. For me last year just wasn't Christmas since I had hardly any time for family just work.

As I work 10 hour shifts (3pm to 1:30am) with Thursday, Friday, Saturdays off, several holidays tend to fall on my days off, while some others I end up working. I don't mind working holidays myself, since its not like I actually do anything on holidays lol...
That and working for an airline means most holidays are fully staffed, since planes don't make money sitting on the ground. :P

I offered to work every Holiday this year since I work the overnight shift (I have to with class during the day) so I go into work after the holiday is over basically. I also get a floater to use whenever which I like.

Back