Working VTEC?

scootervtec.jpg

:sly:

No idea to be honest. I'd rather have them fix the performance stats of the lmp cars than focus on VTEC for a couple of cars. Someone with better information on how the engine system works in GT might be able to guesstimate better but then again there are a couple of other more pressing issues to fix.:)

The VTEC's effect is clearly visible in the torque curves of the applicable cars. Whether they use the correct switching logic, I doubt; it's probably just the torque curve from a straight pull on a dynamometer, so it always "switches" at the same point, ascending or descending, regardless of temperatures (which aren't modeled anyway) and oil pressure etc. :dopey:

With sample-based engine sound synthesis, you need an abrupt transition between two samples at roughly the same engine speed to get the VTEC crossover sound change right.
GT5 doesn't really use enough samples to do that.

It's quite a complex shift in sound, too. The exhaust gets cleaner and sharper, the intake much louder and slightly duller / deeper overall. But, the interactions with the exhaust tract change, as well, and more so with the intake tract. In the latter case, the increased volume excites the intake tract more (in typical applications) and it actually sounds brighter, more metallic and generally much more aggressive as a result, despite the change in the base sound being the other way.

Bear in mind that the only thing that actually changes are the cam profiles; so lift and timing. It's quite fun to try to recreate the "VTEC sound" using only that information.
It'd be nice if a sound system could accurately reflect such changes; think about the potential for tuning: put some crazy cams in your car? Yep, sounds like it, too!

One can dream...

That video didn't prove anything. Every car that has a VTEC in GT drives noticeably different when it gets around 8000 rpm. It will keep pulling and pulling as it will in real life.

They may not sound like all those cars but, that's a different conversation. As for the performance take just about any other car in GT and get it up to 7-8000rpm Ferrari excluded and it's done, Where as your VTEC still wants to go and it's the same in the game.

Last edited:
There is a video showing V-tec works in the '95 Integra Type-R. The user is testing it on Route SSR 7?

Last edited:
There is a video showing V-tec works in the '95 Integra Type-R. The user is testing it on Route SSR 7?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mSxn...e_gdata_player">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mSxn...e_gdata_player" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="340">

Fixed it for you.
For future reference, don't do what you did and instead use only the YouTube tags and the code after '/watch?v=' in the YouTube url (youtube.com/watch?v=0mSxnnxBT1w).
If you quote my post and have a look at the code you'll see what I mean.

Fixed it for you.
For future reference, don't do what you did and instead use only the YouTube tags and the code after '/watch?v=' in the YouTube url (youtube.com/watch?v=0mSxnnxBT1w).
If you quote my post and have a look at the code you'll see what I mean.

Ahhh, no wonder. I can see and play it on my ipad and samsung but everyone else couldnt see it. Cool.

Might as well do VANOS, VVTI, and every other manufacturers system while they're at it.

Vtec, Meh. Over rated to hell.

As for the sound though in my personal opinion they should just work on getting the general sounds to a point where the community is happy.

Once they have that sorted then they just have to add the Dyson Vacuum sound effect over the top of the standard Honda motor and there you have it, Easy V-Tech. I chose the vacuum sound as it sucks just as much as Honda's do in general LOL

DISCLAIMER: SORRY IF I OFFENDED ANY ONE WITH MY LAST PARAGRAPH. THIS IS MY OWN PERSONAL OPINION.

Last edited:
Back