• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 20 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
Did you know this year is another run of the World Baseball Classic? The fun begins this March. Here is a link with some info on some of the different WBC sites for 2017: http://m.mlb.com/marlins/tickets/info/world-baseball-classic

Whomever will be playing... good luck to all teams. I learned of the WBC for 2017 seeing an update on FOX Sports 1's bottom line. The World Baseball Classic (for the uninitiated) is like the World Cup of baseball.

Here are the 4 pools:
Pool A: Seoul, South Korea (March 5th - March 10th)
Chinese Taipei, Israel, Netherlands, South Korea
Pool B: Tokyo, Japan (March 7th - March 11th)
Australia, China, Cuba, Japan
Pool C: Miami, United States (March 9th - March 13th)
Canada, Colombia, Dominican Republic, United States
Pool D: Jalisco, Mexico (March 9th - March 13th)
Italy, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Venezuela.

The first game is Monday March 6th at 4:30 AM ET as South Korea will host Israel.

WBC-Schedule-2017.png

photo.php

That's a brutal turnaround for Israel. However, if they win tonight they clinch a trip to Tokyo.

That was an upset to me for Israel to knock off South Korea. I'd say it's pretty unexpected for a baseball power like South Korea to lose to someone like Israel. I think Israel won 2-1 in 10 innings, if I recall correctly. Sure want to see how everybody else does.

That was an upset to me for Israel to knock off South Korea. I'd say it's pretty unexpected for a baseball power like South Korea to lose to someone like Israel. I think Israel won 2-1 in 10 innings, if I recall correctly. Sure want to see how everybody else does.
Yep. They play again in 2 hours. I really hope they can get this victory and clinch not just a 2nd round birth, but a spot in the 2021 WBC.

Israel is still undefeated in the WBC following their 15-7 win over Chinese Taipei. They have qualified for the 2021 WBC. They will advance to the 2nd round outright if Chinese Taipei loses another game or Israel defeats the Netherlands.

Last edited:
Israel and the Netherlands have both advanced to round 2. South Korea and Chinese Taipei are eliminated.

Now that is a shocker. Israel and Netherlands doing work against two pretty good baseball countries. Crazy. Regardless, congrats to both Israel and the Netherlands.

Now that is a shocker. Israel and Netherlands doing work against two pretty good baseball countries. Crazy. Regardless, congrats to both Israel and the Netherlands.
Netherlands were largely picked to advance. South Korea being out is the stunner.

Updated teams still in group c and d. Canada and Mexico have been eliminated. Puerto Rico and Dominican Republic are still undefeated. USA, Italy, Colombia and Venezuela are fighting for the final spots. USA or Colombia in group C, Italy or Venezuela in group D.

In second round action. At the moment Japan is narrowly beating the Netherlands. Israel is still undefeated as they beat Cuba 4-1.

Can you imagine if Israel wins it all? It would be crazy!
Unless Japan falls off the face of the earth I cannot see them as the top seed from Pool E. I also can't see them beating Puerto Rico or the DR. Anyone else it seems could be possible.

Notice how quiet the "I hate replay and technology, keep the human element in the game" people are now that these games have been filled with terrible calls.

And this runners start at 1st and 2nd in the 11th inning idea is terrible. They might as well have a HR derby shootout.👎👎

Following Japan's win over Cuba, here are the scenarios for Pool E:
Japan: 2-0 - Japan is in prime position to advance to the semi-finals. Depending on what occurs later today, they could very well advance.
Netherlands: 1-1 - The Dutch may be sitting pretty. Their path to the semi-finals is clear. A win vs. Cuba will clinch their path to Los Angeles.
Israel: 1-1 - This is where the Cinderella story may turn into a pumpkin. Israel will be pulling hard for Cuba later today, as a Cuban win will clinch the Japanese team a berth to the semifinals and will let them pick the other team that advances. Logic would dictate that Israel would be the more desirable team due to their objectively weaker lineup and team. If the Netherlands win though, Israel must win vs. Japan to clinch an outright birth. Either way, Israel must win against the #1 ranked team in the world, it will merely depend on if Japan is fighting for their tournament lives.
Cuba: 0-2 - Cuba can still advance, but they need Japan to run the table and they need to mercy rule the Netherlands.

Mexico blaming the rule book for the elimination, but let's not forget they lost a 8-1 lead. :rolleyes:

It was good while it lasted. :lol:

Not too long from now, the World Baseball Classic championship game is tonight in Los Angeles. It will be the United States vs. Puerto Rico. I feel a bit bad about this one because Carlos Correa plays for a team called the Houston Astros. However, despite my loyalty to the Astros, I surely pull for the USA in this one. We'll see who takes home the title this tournament after tonight...

If you haven't already seen the news, the United States is your 2017 World Baseball Classic champions. They roughed up Puerto Rico 8-0. It was almost a no-hitter victory for the USA until Puerto Rico broke up the no-no late. Stroman was the winning pitcher for the USA, and Puerto Rico's loser was Lugo. I actually saw when Ian Kinsler belted a 2-run jack to begin the scoring for the USA.

Good job by all of the teams in this rendition of the World Baseball Classic.

Latest Posts

Back