• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 12 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
What is the best hockey nation in the world? One tournament will help answer this question- the World Cup of Hockey. Love you some hockey? If so, get ready for this international competition. The 2016 World Cup of Hockey apparently is the first iteration of this tournament since the last World Cup of Hockey tournament in 2004. Eight teams will compete in this tournament to be held in Toronto, Ontario, Canada starting in mid-September. NHL-regulation rules and regulations will be applied to this tournament, and NHL referrees will officiate this deal.

So if any of you are willing to discuss the 2016 World Cup of Hockey, here is your thread. For more info: http://www.nhl.com/ice/eventhome.htm?location=/worldcup/2016

I once watched Sweden beat Finland 3-2 in a Winter Olympic final while I was in a bar in Köln, Germany. A very attractive Swedish lady painted my face blue & yellow that day. I currently live in England & have a Swedish housemate. All of this results in me kind-of supporting Sweden even though I hardly ever watch the sport.

Just as a reminder... the 2016 World Cup of Hockey will run from September 17 through October 1. There will be two groups that will play each other in the opening round. Here are the contenders:

GROUP A:
* Canada
* Czech Republic
* United States
* (Team Europe)

GROUP B:
* Finland
* Russia
* Sweden
* (North America)

The teams in parentheses mostly consist of an assortment of players from the general area. More info on the scheduling process can be seen here: https://www.nhl.com/news/2016-world-cup-of-hockey-schedule-announced/c-778411?tid=278386054

This should get you hockey fans interested until the real NHL action begins.

Earlier tonight, ESPN2 shown an exhibition between Team North America and Team Europe. With the game played in Quebec City, Quebec, Canada; Team North America won 4-0. NA cashed in three goals in the 2nd Period and tacked on one more in the 3rd. So congratulations to Team North America tonight.

What's the difference between this and the ice hockey world championships?

What's the difference between this and the ice hockey world championships?

Its being played under NHL rules, and all NHL players have a chance to play in it unlike the World Championships which overlaps the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The US and Canadian teams can only have players born before October 1, 1992, and all players on Team North America have to be born after October 1, 1992.

Heads up! ESPNU is showing a preliminary match between the USA and Canada being played in Columbus, OH, USA. Coolest thing so far was hearing ESPN's old NHL Hockey theme. Remember the official tournament starts next Saturday.

Hockey is back! Today begins the first day of World Cup of Hockey 2016 play. Canada is likely the favorites to win since this World Cup of Hockey is in Canada. I think this runs between September 17 and October 1. Either way... hockey is back. So come get your fill, hockey fans!

Good luck to all participants in World Cup of Hockey 2016.

The United States lost 3-0 to Team Europe yesterday. The USA will play Canada (host nation of WCH2016) this Tuesday. The USA better win this one if they hope to stay in the tournament.

Team Canada won the 2016 World Cup of Hockey over Team Europe. All congrats to Canada.

Quite a lackluster tournament. It feels like the gaps between the world's best teams are once again increasing.

Back