World Player Of The Year 2007 List - 4 English Players Nominated

• Thread starter <_Spike_>
  • 11 comments
In case you didn't want to search for the 4 English players: Stevie G, Lamps, JT and Rooney

Gianluigi Buffon (Italy and Juventus)
Fabio Cannavaro (Italy and Real Madrid)
Petr Cech (Czech Republic and Chelsea)
Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal and Manchester United)
Deco (Portugal and Barcelona)
Didier Drogba (Ivory Coast and Chelsea)
Michael Essien (Ghana and Chelsea)
Samuel Eto'o (Cameroon and Barcelona)
Gennaro Gattuso (Italy and Milan)
Steven Gerrard (England and Liverpool)
Thierry Henry (France and Barcelona)
Juninho (Brazil and Lyon)
Kaka (Brazil and Milan)
Miroslav Klose (Germany and Bayern Munich)
Philipp Lahm (Germany and Bayern Munich)
Frank Lampard (England and Chelsea)
Rafael Marquez (Mexico and Barcelona)
Lionel Messi (Argentina and Barcelona)
Alessandro Nesta (Italy and Milan)
Andrea Pirlo (Italy and Milan)
Franck Ribery (France and Bayern Munich)
Juan Roman Riquelme (Argentina and Villarreal)
Ronaldinho (Brazil and Barcelona)
Wayne Rooney (England and Manchester United)
John Terry (England and Chelsea)
Carlos Tevez (Argentina and Manchester United)
Lilian Thuram (France and Barcelona)
Fernando Torres (Spain and Liverpool)
Ruud van Nistelrooy (Holland and Real Madrid)
Patrick Vieira (France and Internazionale).

Gianluigi Buffon (Italy and Juventus) No.
Fabio Cannavaro (Italy and Real Madrid) No.
Petr Cech (Czech Republic and Chelsea) No.
Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal and Manchester United) Maybe.
Deco (Portugal and Barcelona) No.
Didier Drogba (Ivory Coast and Chelsea) Maybe.
Michael Essien (Ghana and Chelsea) No.
Samuel Eto'o (Cameroon and Barcelona) Maybe.
Gennaro Gattuso (Italy and Milan) No.
Steven Gerrard (England and Liverpool) No.
Thierry Henry (France and Barcelona) Yes.
Juninho (Brazil and Lyon) Dunno... prob not.
Kaka (Brazil and Milan) Yes.
Miroslav Klose (Germany and Bayern Munich) Yes.
Philipp Lahm (Germany and Bayern Munich) No.
Frank Lampard (England and Chelsea) :lol: No way.
Rafael Marquez (Mexico and Barcelona) No.
Lionel Messi (Argentina and Barcelona) Yes.
Alessandro Nesta (Italy and Milan) No.
Andrea Pirlo (Italy and Milan) Probably not.
Franck Ribery (France and Bayern Munich) No.
Juan Roman Riquelme (Argentina and Villarreal) Maybe.
Ronaldinho (Brazil and Barcelona) Maybe, prob not.
Wayne Rooney (England and Manchester United) No.
John Terry (England and Chelsea) No.
Carlos Tevez (Argentina and Manchester United) No.
Lilian Thuram (France and Barcelona) No.
Fernando Torres (Spain and Liverpool) No.
Ruud van Nistelrooy (Holland and Real Madrid) Maybe, prob not.
Patrick Vieira (France and Internazionale). No.

No Fabreagas? :grumpy:
Best player in the Premiership right now, but it's really a reflection of the 2006-2007 season... Fabregas will probably be up for it in 2008, no doubt.....

Thierry Henry was out most of last year, I can't see how he got in. The same for John Terry, he didn't have a great season. Kaka was good in the Champions league but he wasn't consistent over the season as a whole, Ronaldo had a far far better season than Kaka. Out of the players I've seen, the ones I'd put on a shortlist would be Christiano Ronaldo, Didier Drogba, Lionel Messi and Ruud Van Nistelrooy.

I don't know how Gerrard and Lampard are on there, don't get me wrong, I like the idea of English players in the shortlist, but they didn't have great seasons. A lot of players are on the list on name and reputation alone, not on actual performance.

Why Torres? He's strarted very well in the Prem, but he wasn't prolific last season in Spain.

Yet, I don't think either of them (certainly not Kaka) had as good a season overall as Ronaldo had last year, and I've watched plenty of Kaka's performances. Messi, maybe I haven't watch as much of him but what I have hasn't told me he was better than Ronaldo, just that he's a great talent too. Kaka just wasn't consistent last year though, I honestly can't understand where all this Kaka love is coming from. He's a quality player, but world player of the year, not a chance. Messi, maybe. Kaka might get it ofcourse, but there's no way he deserves it. Barring his great Champions league performance, the rest of his season was in fits and starts, he did not play like that all the way through.

I remember a couple of season ago when Henry had possibly the best season any striker ever has had in terms of consistnecy and skill, who got the player of the year award, Ronaldinho. He had a good season that year, but no one I'd seen includig Ronaldinho had as good a season as Henry that year. The problem with these awards is that the number of voters isn't even accross the board, and exposure for different players and leagues is different.

Well, Messi has just been a dominating force on Barca's side, especially with their injuries. Every time he touches the ball, something good happens. They call him the Messiah in Barcelona for good reason.

Emmanuel Adebayor
The Arsenal striker has more than filled the void left by Thierry Henry's departure and has weighed in with a hatful of goals. Chris Burton looks at the impact the Togolese has had at Emirates while Gordon Taylor reveals why he has been shortlisted.

Fernando Torres
The Spaniard has enjoyed a sensational first season in English football, notching 21 Premier League goals so far. Alex Dunn looks at the reasons behind 'El Nino's' success while Gordon Taylor reveals his credentials.

Cristiano Ronaldo
Last year's winner has been instrumental once again in Manchester United's surge to the top of the Premier League. Gordon Taylor gives the reasons why the Portuguese has been nominated while skysports.com's Mark Buckingham examines why Ronaldo has been in such outstanding form this term.

Cesc Fabregas
Arsenal's midfield dynamo has driven the Gunners forward on all fronts this season. James Dall looks at how Fabregas has grown up as the natural successor to Patrick Vieira with Gordon Taylor revealing the reason's behind the Spaniard's nomination.

David James
The Portsmouth keeper has earned an England recall following an outstanding season. Gordon Taylor lists why James has been shortlisted while Rob Parrish puts the case for why the main award should go to the former Aston Villa shot-stopper.

Steven Gerrard
Liverpool's captain fantastic has led the Reds to the brink of another UEFA Champions League final. Pete O'Rourke puts the case for Anfield's inspirational leader while Gordon Taylor explains why he has been nominated for the award.

YOUNG PLAYER OF THE YEAR

As well as Ronaldo, Torres and Fabregas, three more players are in the running for the young player prize. Gordon Taylor gives his verdict on the contenders

Gabriel Agbonlahor
He is such a direct player with pace to burn and, whilst he can lead the line, he will gallop onto through balls all day long. He has made great progress and, for the sake of club and country, we hope he continues to develop.

Micah Richards
A fantastic player, Micah is a magnificent young man with natural ability and athleticism. Progressed to international level at a very young age and he will be a regular fixture in the England team for years to come.

Ashley Young
Like Gabby Agbonlahor, Ashley is benefiting from working under such a good manager in Martin O'Neill whose decision to splash out £10million might have been viewed as a gamble at the time. In fact, it was a very shrewd piece of business.

Final nominations for the PFA Player of The Year.

Back