Worst.Driver.Ever.

  • Thread starter Thread starter SuperJerboa
  • 24 comments
  • 2,330 views
Messages
3
Messages
SuperJerboa
I've lurked gtplanet for a while now. Oh Hai!

OK. I'm not the worst ever, but I have to be pretty close.

I finally finished all of the licencses ... at bronze. :indiff: (ok...I do have some gold and silver, but not nearly all)

The best I've been able to do in the last Jeff Gordon special (2 laps at Daytona) is 10th (out of 11) :crazy: And if I ever see that energizer car in real life....:ouch:

I don't even want to admit to some of the other special races.

The main 'passing strategy' that I use is playing bumper cars in a turn.:guilty:

See..it isn't that I want to. It is that I'm so horrendous that it happens in spite of what I do. The car in front brakes before I'm ready, or I try to take an inside line, and carry too much speed, or the ai car jumps right into my path, etc.

No... I haven't raced online yet. I wouldn't subject another human to the pain of my laps. :D

So what do you do when practicing ends up reinforcing mistakes more than it improves you?
 
If you want to get a grip on this game just try to follow the driving line and keep going faster without getting off the line and you will surprise yourself.... Good Luck :)
 
The way I race is I try to anticipate 3 or 4 things the driver could do in front of me going into corners, then when he makes 1 of those decisons I use one of my own to counter it to avoid a crash but you can only really get that from experience online to see how other drivers react

If your carrying too much entry speed into corners try using the driving line for help on braking points as been punted off half way round a corner by someone entering way to quick is really really annoying lol

Also a big no no entering a corner is been right up a guys bumper, you have no idea when hes going to break or turn in and that just results in messy accidents and usually a kick from clean servers..If you give clean racers space they'll return the favour to you
 
I can suggest you to pick a car that you like to drive (around 300 - 400 - 500 Hp), leave it stock with sport hard tires, choose a track that you like, take off all the aides (leave on only abs and if you really need it, leave on the driving line) and drive, trying to beat every lap your ghost. Change track when you get bored, and repeat. IMHO it's the best way to learn how to drive and how to go fast in this game.
 
Andy89
I can suggest you to pick a car that you like to drive (around 300 - 400 - 500 Hp), leave it stock with sport hard tires, choose a track that you like, take off all the aides (leave on only abs and if you really need it, leave on the driving line) and drive, trying to beat every lap your ghost. Change track when you get bored, and repeat. IMHO it's the best way to learn how to drive and how to go fast in this game.

100% true! 👍 try this with all aids off using only Drving line and try to improve lap times! Just pick a car you like (not Ford GT etc.) try to take something simple, standart sreet car like Subaru or Nissan 350 will work just fine to learn basic stuff in GT.
 
100% true! 👍 try this with all aids off using only Drving line and try to improve lap times! Just pick a car you like (not Ford GT etc.) try to take something simple, standart sreet car like Subaru or Nissan 350 will work just fine to learn basic stuff in GT.

Also I would not recommend the Nissan GT-R, is an awesome car, but it's really easy to drive. A good choice would be the RX-7 Spirit, not so powerful, but a great car to drive at its limits. I also loved the Lotus Esprit (the premium one), with 349 Hp it's an awesome car, very good to learn the game.
 
Andy89
Also I would not recommend the Nissan GT-R, is an awesome car, but it's really easy to drive. A good choice would be the RX-7 Spirit, not so powerful, but a great car to drive at its limits. I also loved the Lotus Esprit (the premium one), with 349 Hp it's an awesome car, very good to learn the game.

yea, probably Subaru isnt that good idea also, MR or FR cars are the best to learn. just dont go over 400HP and no less then 250 HP so you can get proper overstear and figure out have to cach it, I recommend!

PS, many will say its not! but anyway, Learning how to drift in GT5 will help you ALOT, to learn better to drive, Especially in difficult situation before crashing, you will learn limits of the cars way better! Best place is Seasonal events drift section (you will see how bad or good you are and can try to improve)]

EDIT: are you on DS3 or Steering wheel?
 
Last edited:
Nono, worst driver ever, that's me xD Add me on PSN, and we'll find out xD PSN is GfxJG.
 
Dude, even though you may think that you are bad at GT, you should consider that (almost) everyone here started playing the GT games as a complete novice and then built up their skills. Nobody would have switched on their console and immediately become a star in the game. It takes time, practice and passion for the game.

The first thing that you should do is go to arcade, choose a car such as the Nissan Fairlady, Subaru Impreza, BMW M3, etc then switch all of you driver aids off (maybe keep ABS-1 and a bit of Traction Control), switch on the driving line and spend some time blasting around the track while trying to beat your previous lap times. Start of with one of the lower powered cars (such as those i suggested) and choose a track that you like. With some practice, you should improve your skills more than you can imagine.

To take it a bit further, go back to the same track, choose a slightly faster car (Aston Martin DB9, Audi R8, etc), switch all aids off, INCLUDING the driving line, and continue the time chasing. This can be taken further on and on, by choosing a slightly faster car. Once you get up to cars like the Lambo Mucielago SV or Pagani Zonda R, then you know that you are close to perfection.

The main key here is to start off small (low powered cars) and then slowly advance to racing cars.
 
Kevalin Pillay
The main key here is to start off small (low powered cars) and then slowly advance to racing cars.

👍 patience, precise cornering and breaking, move on slowly to learn all basic techniques about GT! for sure!
 
Modulate the throttle and steering. Gradual, smooth inputs make this game so much easier.

Try not to go fast, instead start off slow. Brake fairly early, stay at the outside edge of the track until you reach the turn in point, cut across and slowly apply the throttle to power out of the corner. Make sure you have all driving aids off (Except ABS at 1).

Or take this step by step guide:

1) Turn all aids off

2) Switch to manual gears if you haven't already

3) Learn to modulate the throttle, or change your control settings to something which is easier (Triggers or analogue sticks for acceleration if you want - I still use X and square and it works fine for me. Left stick for steering is a necessity)

4) Use the above tips, start by trying not to push the car too hard. Find a few car lengths before your usual braking point, then brake a little earlier than that mark. You need to be down to a speed where you can power through the corner without understeer throwing you wide and making you get off the throttle. (Not too much power, if the wheels spin at any point you're doing it wrong)

5) Practice. GT5:Prologue came out 2007/2008 and i've been playing that regularly with the pad since then. I'm still around two seconds off the best racers at a 1'30 lap circuit.
 
The main 'passing strategy' that I use is playing bumper cars in a turn.:guilty:

See..it isn't that I want to. It is that I'm so horrendous that it happens in spite of what I do. The car in front brakes before I'm ready, or I try to take an inside line, and carry too much speed, or the ai car jumps right into my path, etc.


BOB?! is that YOU?!

Sorry, I thought you were my b-spec driver....

Seriously though, just practice! If you enjoy playing it then this isn't an issue!
 
Last edited:
I would start by trying to improve you license results. It sounds like you need to get better control of the car without having to worry about cars around you. Learn throttle control, breaking points, and how to keep your car balanced and in control. If you do that, your times will decrease and performance will increase. After a while it will come naturally to you.
 
Welcome to :gtpflag: as a member:D

As the other guys said, practice with the driving line and do the license tests multiple times.

Always imagine that you're driving a real car:ouch:
 
I'm totally with you on bumping other cars haha, at least offline. Its just that 90% of the events have you in a situation where your car is so much faster than the others, its annoying to keep pace with them to pass them the 'right' way.

So I just bump them out of the way until I'm out in front. Again I only do that on offline event races. Online competition is fast enough that you usually can't do that unless you are purposely trying. But being in a 1000bhp car in a race with stuff around 600bhp, people WON'T get out of your way fast enough ha.

I always felt like I was a bad driver too though. But now i've seen times posted on forums of different races, and raced plenty online with friends to see i guess i'm just 'normal'. I'm still stuck with a DS3 for the time being, which will change within a month (was waiting for the GT3RS V2 Fanatec to be back in stock)...so i'm ok with going back and doing the license tests when I can actually use a device to stay consistent. With a DS3, you can do everything in the game, but you will definitely never stay fully consistent when you are in the faster cars.

The indy race in like the wind was the shining example for me. Followed the setups on this site, watched the you tube videos. And just couldn't do it consistently. I had to brake when I was told I wouldn't have to (per the setup's descriptions), and wasn't getting top speeds on straights because of it. The race was a nightmare, and I know it was the on/off nature of steering with a DS3. Cut in too early, and you are in the grass, let off steering to widen out, and you are in a wall. It can be done, its just not exactly fun imo...

Thats not to say a wheel will all of a sudden make you a better driver. I just think they definitely help with consistency, especially when driving the much more powerful cars later on in the game. I'm not even bothering with the advanced license tests and special events until I get one.
 
Can't add much to previous posters. Just keep up the practice. Do license tests, no aids, 300 hp RWD car, etc for laps.

Remember:
Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect.
 
Get online against some of us guys, and we will teach you the ropes. One of my mates had never played GT5... and was on the verge of giving up. A quick tutorial of Autum Ring Mini in his Suzuki Swift, and he was shaving time off every lap. Keep in there!
 
Best thing I can suggest is take a not too high powered car and granny it around a reasonably small track. Every lap step it up a bit but only a bit. You will soon find your limits on control.

Once you have those limits work to try and improve them slightly each time.

If you find you carry too much speed into turns or brake too late, intentionally go into turns too slow and brake too early, you will get a better feel for how much you can push it next time vs trying to figure out how much you need to reign it in from going to fast.

Lastly when racing with other cars, race the track, not the competition. Don't worry about where the other guy brakes, brake where you need to brake to make clean laps. Once you are good at that you can start worrying about passing strategy.
 
License Test are the way to go. Sure, it will take a while but it will really help in making you a better and consistent driver. Licenses are all about proper braking and throttle control.
 
To SuperJerboa and other confused novice drivers who might not realize that using the whole track is what it is all about as well as keeping your momentum up saves you work getting up to speed. Here is a go-kart video to shows real world track stretching and momentum retention.

 
Thanks. I'm mostly just venting. :)

After last night's struggle with bronze on S-9, I wanted to chuck my controller at the tv!

I figured that working on license tests was probably best. The big thing is trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong/what I can improve. It isn't always clear. Sticking to the driving line seems to result in a solid bronze. But how to deviate to improve the time? That is the question.

btw, I'm using a DS3 with the triggers for throttle/brake. Mostly automatic still, but I do dabble with manual a bit using the right stick to shift. But the extra controls tend to be a bit much to think about in the heat of racing still.

(btw. my PSN is the same as my forum name. :) Although expect me in Dragon Age 2 for the near future.)
 
OP, it doesn't matter how you drive as long as you are enjoying yourself.
 
BOB?! is that YOU?!

Sorry, I thought you were my b-spec driver....

Seriously though, just practice! If you enjoy playing it then this isn't an issue!

Ha! Sometimes I think my BOB can drive circles around me! :p
 
Brake early and let off the brakes before you start turning. Turning and brakes don't mix well.
 
If you are having fun, you will keep racing and eventually get better. And if you go do a new track, take a slow car to learn the track. Also, watch the example tingies (dont know how they are called in english, my game is set in dutch, but it is next to save replay)
 
Back