Worst Game Updates/Revisions?

United States
The US of A
If you have a PS3 or just about any other console released from the past 10 years, you're probably familiar with the updates the games get. Game updates are great, they can add new content to a game or fix issues the game may have, but I am sure some of us have been displeased with the updates that have come out for certain games before.

This topic of course ain't just limited to downloadable updates like what I just mentioned, it can also be about revisions of games that came out after the original release. Something that was quite common before downloadable updates became a thing.

So the topic is simple, what are the worst game updates/revisions you have experienced and why do you think so? Try to answer both questions and not just one of them, please.

(This post may be subject to change later)

Last edited:
Well as I mentioned before - every update to GTA V - as all Rockstar seems interested in doing is making the game less fun, more grindy and adding more expensive things to buy. Utterly terrible game design and utterly insidious pushing for microtransaction purchases. Do they really need and more money? They've made millions upon millions and still they push shark cards more and more.

Then there's Ark Survival Evolved. I love this game, because dinosaurs. When you tame a dinosaur, you can level it up and invest skill points to make it more tanky, carry more weight, do more damage or run faster for example.

Only, about a year ago, Studio Wildcard released an update that removed the ability to invest in movement speed for flying creatures that you tame, which means that getting around late game is so much more of a grind.

Hmm, it seems 'grind' is a word etched into the game industry now. Because apparently a monotonous time sink is what developers and publishers want...

GT5 update 2.12 - 2.16
I pair these 4 together because they all more or less serve the same purpose. Hybriding had become quite a big thing for me in GT5 as well as many others back in the days. Then 2.12 came and once it did, it killed off some of the best hacks we had come to know and we lost two hidden cars a long with it, but it didn't stop there! People found ways around some of the things 2.12 patched, but they kept on patching it with updates 2.13 and onward. Then finally they did it one last time on 2.16 and we lost hidden car parts in this update as well.

Hybriding in GT5 was never truly the same after update 2.12 and while again they did find ways to hack cars after the updates, not all the hacks from 2.11 were able to be done. Once 2.16 came, it seemingly killed off hybrids in GT5 for good and apparently the community gave up after this because to this day I have yet to see a work around for it that doesn't involve jailbreak. While some may disagree with me and they may like these updates (which is fine), I did not and to this day, these are still some of my least favorite updates ever. Sometimes I wish hybriding had not become a thing in GT5 until after the servers went down because I am sure things would have been different.

GT6. Trying to download and install all the updates from scratch = corrupted install data. Can only download a couple at a time, then you have to disconnect from your network and launch GT6 to install them, then reconnect and download a couple more, rinse and repeat. And you gotta watch it like a hawk because if you accidentally download more updates than it can handle at once, it's back to square one... gotta delete all the installed data and start all over.

GT6. Trying to download and install all the updates from scratch = corrupted install data. Can only download a couple at a time, then you have to disconnect from your network and launch GT6 to install them, then reconnect and download a couple more, rinse and repeat. And you gotta watch it like a hawk because if you accidentally download more updates than it can handle at once, it's back to square one... gotta delete all the installed data and start all over.
Oh my, that is not good! Never had that problem before with GT6, I wonder if it's a console issue. Out of curiosity, is your copy physical or digital?

I've had that issue as well when I decided to play it again last fall after formatting my PS3 (physical copy). I gave up, which is a shame as GT6 has some great cars you can't find elsewhere.

One thing I overlooked is I usually installed the updates as they came so I guess that's why I never had this problem. I did end up buying digital later on since my PS3 was having issues reading the disc and no issues with digital either, however if I recall correctly when you download digital games from PSN, the updates are part of the download itself. Not sure if I am lucky or what. This has me a bit intrigued honestly.

So I made a change to the OP and thread title I felt was necessary and would open up even more discussion:
This topic of course ain't just limited to downloadable updates like what I just mentioned, it can also be about revisions of games that came out after the original release. Something that was quite common before downloadable updates became a thing.
That said, you can now discuss revisions of games released after the game's original release date, something I think fits this thread very well. Things such as when the later releases of Gran Turismo 2 removed Mark Martin's racing modification for the Taurus SHO, for instance, you can discuss them here.

The removal of the save system in the US releases of GT Advance Championship Racing.
The Japanese release had a save system, but for some reason, every other release after omitted this and we got a password system instead, which apparently was a cost-cutting measure. Okay, they already had it right with the save system and then took a HUGE step back by implementing this instead, which has one of the longest passwords I have ever seen in a video game. I love GT Advance, but the lengthy passwords were something that really put me off from playing the game since they were so dang long and case-sensitive. I didn't play it much when I got it because of this and it wasn't until last year when I got a flash cartridge that used save states I finally gave the game some proper attention. This is easily the worst revision of a game I know and they should've NEVER taken the save system out of the game. Fortunately, from what I read, they never made that mistake again after this title.

Wreckfest, next gen update. Before the update they added 60 fps if playing on Xbox S/X then along came the paid for next gen update which looked hardly any different and struggled to hold 60fps, waste of time.

Wreckfest, next gen update. Before the update they added 60 fps if playing on Xbox S/X then along came the paid for next gen update which looked hardly any different and struggled to hold 60fps, waste of time.
Not the first time I have read something like this either. Did they ever fix this by the way? I've been thinking about getting this game lately and debated whether or I should get the upgrade or not.

Not the first time I have read something like this either. Did they ever fix this by the way? I've been thinking about getting this game lately and debated whether or I should get the upgrade or not.
Tbh I don't know, I managed to get a refund and removed the 'upgrade'. I honestly wouldn't worry about it, the game looks and runs fab without it. It was only marginally better looking imo.

I can't find any evidence of it being fixed anyway. I guess I'll just avoid buying the upgrade when I eventually get the game for Xbox then. I can handle slightly worse visuals if it means a smoother framerate.

MS Flight Sim on Xbox.
Gorgeous, relatively stable at launch. Exceptional.

And then the updates came, and now unplayable for me.
Real heart breaker because I really really love(d) this sim.

I think one would be hard pressed to find an example of a patch that is worse than trying to play a disc copy of the original Xbox version of San Andreas on an XBone.

If you put the original Xbox version of San Andreas in a 360, you get the original Xbox version running in emulation at higher resolution and a less variable framerate (like the PS2 Classics version does). Same with Vice City and III. The original Xbox versions are for the most part the best versions of all of those games as well (give or take an extra bug here or there); even over the PC versions.

If you put that same disc in your XBone or Series X, you get a particularly horrendous port of the already-awful iOS version of the game.

Last edited:
Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl.

I don't hate them, but I don't like how these Pokemon remake games don't have all contents from Pokemon Platinum, gen 5-8 Pokemon, Mega Evolution, and gen 5-8 held items like Eviolite. Yep, one of the biggest criticisms aimed at them was their chibi art style because a lot of fans, including me, thought that the style in BDSP was going to be similar to that of Sword and Shield.

I thought that Pokemon Ultra Sun brought some neat changes, but I felt that the story in Pokemon Sun was remarkably better. I feel that it's very unusual for a Pokemon game to have an "enhanced version" where the story is actually a step down from the "vanilla" version.

Last edited:
Back