Worst IA Ever...

• Thread starter Samzilla97
  • 19 comments
United States
Boston, MA
SamZilla_97
Ok, don't get me wrong. I love GT6, it's amazing to drive these great cars around great tracks. Design is superb, handling better than ever, night racing the best I've seen so far in a video game and even though you don't get a lot of pressure from the other drivers, race finishes are closer than ever in the franchise (as long as you don't get an overpowered car). BUT, Ia clipping you constantly and stupidly ruined the experience so many times for me. How many times was I spunned by an idiot who kept rubbing me instead of passing?? And this is even worst for me than a totally inexistent IA. Plus, this makes it impossible to race NASCAR as the racing is really close there and need everybody to keep his line and do precise moves. This won't push me to throw the game away, by far, but I will think twice before buying the next one if PD doesn't get their act together. We've seen a few improvements in GT5 in this matter, I'd like it to be the same in this one...

IA you say? As in IA License? :P

Don't get me wrong, I know you meant AI. And they are not all that bad at the high levels. (though I despise Nascar AI)

I see your point and I agree. It's just that I never get pleasure out of beating computers so I don't care much how they drive. Allthough I do believe it's slightly better than in GT5

I think PD and kaz think the same way, racing vs AI isn't the core of the game, that's buying and setting up the huge variety of cars.

Also I get the impression alot of people fail to realise how hard it is to program a balanced racing AI. The differences with racing are so small that small changes makes them either really slow or exceptionally aggressive.

Keeping that in mind I think it's pretty neat they managed to make the AI faster without making them all look like Grosjeans.

I have learnt to check my mirrors a lot, especially if my straight line speed is much slower than A.I cars, and I move out of their way.

They may be rubbish drivers, but one skill set they all seem to possess is an ability to stay on the track, despite my attempts to push them off by shunting the corner of their cars, as they do to me.

IA you say? As in IA License? :P

Don't get me wrong, I know you meant AI. And they are not all that bad at the high levels. (though I despise Nascar AI)
My bad, I'm juggling between english and french and sometimes mix it up...

Isn't that what racing's all about?
This is my point, you get pushed around way more than you would in a real race. They missed something about NASCAR. Either you play it rough and get lots of contact and spins and rubbing against the wall or you play it cleaner and as long as you race clean you won't get an idiot bumping into you and pushing you ou of the track because you had to break behind a pack of cars driving way too slow... Like I said, at least we get close finishes and that makes it a bit more rewarding... still...

I see your point and I agree. It's just that I never get pleasure out of beating computers so I don't care much how they drive. Allthough I do believe it's slightly better than in GT5

I think PD and kaz think the same way, racing vs AI isn't the core of the game, that's buying and setting up the huge variety of cars.

Also I get the impression alot of people fail to realise how hard it is to program a balanced racing AI. The differences with racing are so small that small changes makes them either really slow or exceptionally aggressive.

Keeping that in mind I think it's pretty neat they managed to make the AI faster without making them all look like Grosjeans.
I understand the fact that it must be difficult to setup a proper AI but they did a decent job recently in GT5 and it went backwards in GT6...

This is my point, you get pushed around way more than you would in a real race. They missed something about NASCAR. Either you play it rough and get lots of contact and spins and rubbing against the wall or you play it cleaner and as long as you race clean you won't get an idiot bumping into you and pushing you ou of the track because you had to break behind a pack of cars driving way too slow... Like I said, at least we get close finishes and that makes it a bit more rewarding... still...
I think it's just bad programming in the game's A.I.. They're a bit overpowered. Try spinning them out. You'll spin instead. They're like bricks! I tested that in every races.

AI is no substitute for RI. There is only so much that AI can pick up on, no senses and all that. If we could have truly intelligent AI, I think the PS3 would have to be crammed full of all kinds of clever computer chips and stuff. I don't want my PS to be bigger than my fridge.

Racing with clean types online is 100% more enjoyable than racing against dumb machines.

I understand the fact that it must be difficult to setup a proper AI but they did a decent job recently in GT5 and it went backwards in GT6...

I disagree, they are faster and only a little bit more aggressive. They were complete pushovers in GT5.

I've stopped in the middle of the track and the AI avoid me, I've come up close to them on a corner and they swing out to avoid me, I've also seen them make mistakes and go off the track ahead of me. It's better than GT5 at least. I agree it's not great but I haven't played a racing game with great AI yet. NFS, Forza, Midnight Club, they all are just mindless drones basically.

I'm yet to find a driving/racing game with challenging AI, and I am a complete pushover. At least in GT6 they start with a gap (only for that gap to be obliterated by rubberbanding, mind you).

I also believe that a lot of the "problems" with the AI aggressiveness may actually be user-caused problems. I felt like I was being given the PIT by the AI in the NASCAR races too, watched a replay and noticed that it was me more than them messing up my overtakes. Likewise, I kept smashing in the AI at corner 2 at Brands Hatch, so... I started braking early and going for the inside. And it worked!

I've stopped in the middle of the track and the AI avoid me, I've come up close to them on a corner and they swing out to avoid me, I've also seen them make mistakes and go off the track ahead of me. It's better than GT5 at least. I agree it's not great but I haven't played a racing game with great AI yet. NFS, Forza, Midnight Club, they all are just mindless drones basically.

I agree. With all this. And I gotta say the AI is, aggressive when passed, bovine and passive if in front. And they will move off the racing line when being lapped!!!!! Unless, another AI has passed an AI in front, then all bets are off, I've seen them crash, spin and take flight when fighting each other. (I don't remember that from GT5) These AI are behaving, "Almost Human". I may not like the AI but I do notice that some are quite good racers. I've been spun by AI especially at Ascari 10 lap. But in the Nurburgring 24 or GT Championship the AI are much better drivers. Especially the N24, once I pass the Mclaren with my Audi he doesn't give up, chases me all the way to the line.
It's almost like playing online, Constant fear of getting spun by some bitter ahole, passing someone will always make them drive faster until they crash (just like the AI, only they don't crash as often as humans do). They stay on the line and don't move off it, they will block you slightly when trying to pass. I think the AI is very human. We just don't realize what kind of duchebags we humans actually are when racing.

Last edited:
I have learnt to check my mirrors a lot, especially if my straight line speed is much slower than A.I cars, and I move out of their way.

They may be rubbish drivers, but one skill set they all seem to possess is an ability to stay on the track, despite my attempts to push them off by shunting the corner of their cars, as they do to me.
Yea you try to pit an AI but oddly enough YOU spinout and not them.

I've actually had very few problems with the AI in GT6, because they are too slow to keep up with me. :sly:

Exactly the same about them being slow here. It've happened that they spun me out, but it's not a thing that happens often, though.

Back