• 26 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
Hello, GTPlanet.

I had a weird idea for two-player races. Here's the weird idea I have to share.

How about a 2-Player Mode where one person is responsible for a few aspects of racing, while the other player is active in other aspects? For example, What if Player One did all the steering, acceleration, and braking; and Player Two took care of manual shifting and even adding extra steering input to corner a little harder?

This is a weird idea I had, but do you think it would work? Any adjustments to it? Reply now.

i think that wouldn't work........It begins with blaming eachohther for making mistakes (co-operative) and not defeating the lap record..........and it ends up with a fight and and your ps2 on the scrapheap......................:mad:

Uh... That would require a fair bit of coordination. Whilst novel, especially if you're drunk, I think most people would just find it painful. And those people like me sitting at home alone would look at the second controller sitting unused and sniff...

Sounds kind of like those bikes with the side carts on them. There is the bike rider and another guy in this second cockpit.
The cockpit guy moves all over the place to balance everything when braking and steering, bloody dangerous too.

What a quirky game idea!

This whole thread is wierd. I mean look. John your post is only 9 lines compared to 50. ;) Don't forget rally. with out the co-driver you couldn't do it

Originally posted by Eagle
A co-driver for the Rally mode in GT4 would be nice... Even if it's just symbols on the HUD.
Much the same as in GT3 how it gave you recommended gears to take the next corner in on the HUD?

I'd like some like Colin McRae like arrows to come up, but then it would be moving too far from the GT style of game.

I was thinking more like CMR arrows myself as well, but something down on the speedo like that Recommended Gear thing would be less intrusive, more unique and probably just as good.

Originally posted by Dirkiyo
i think that wouldn't work........It begins with blaming eachohther for making mistakes (co-operative) and not defeating the lap record..........and it ends up with a fight and and your ps2 on the scrapheap......................:mad:

Agree 👍

Because if you have someone manually shift, your thinking one way while your partner is thinking a diffrent way, very very bad, because not only is there the fustration factor but I seriously dont see any such fun factor in that, even in sports games I personally can't stand having a partner on my team, why because my thinking is diffrently from theres.. so yea no fun at all...

If GT wasn't a simulator, maybe. Otherwise it's a stupid idea. GT simulates real racing. What you're talking about is impossible.

the only way this could work I think is if you'd add a 'driving instructor' mode, where I could race online with a friend who's a beginner, and like real driving lessons I would let him perhaps only stear in the beginning, and then slowly let him take over more and more controls. Other than that ... I'd sooner have a different game, a multiplayer game where someone drives a car like in GT with the wheel, and someone else has a GunCon like in Time Crisis 3. Now that could be fun, and a great multiplayer game ... :D

True that they drive I shoot lol... now that with GT4 amazing graphics would be a great game :lol:... "someone's coming up fast behind us".. "Shoot them!" lol :D

This reminds me Battletech on Sega MegaDrive which i completed with my mate - i was controlling mech's feet while he used weapons to shoot in 360 degree angle. It was fun... doubt it would work in GT.

Btw JohnBM01 u should consider becoming a games developer - u seem to have lotsa good ideas
grin.gif

Heh sometimes when playing Mafia on PC my bro fires the gun with the mouse & I drive with the keyboard :)

Can't see where the hell I'm going when the points the gun backwards though :lol:

John, this mode already exists. It is called single player sharing controller with friend mode. Does not work to well as usually the steering persons hands get mixed up with gearchanges person hands. Hang on I don't think that is what John meant. Did you mean a mode with 2 controllers for one car. You could take it even further and have 4 player mode. 1 brake person, 1 gas person, i gearchange person and the most important guy, the steerer. And you could swap positions and the computer would compare times from each position and work out who was the best brake person, the best gas person, the best gearman and the best stirrer.

Hehe i just remembered playing GT3 with my mate - one held wheel and other held that gas/brake footplate in hand like it was a giant 2-button controller - it was really fun, u should all try this :)

This could work to teach someone how to drive with a wheel. Like to show them lines and stuff without too much hassle. FOr example, one novice driver would man the wheel while the experienced persons gives them pointers on what to do. Then, when they make a mistake or something, show them a better line or something. It could work.

Originally posted by Arwin
a multiplayer game where someone drives a car like in GT with the wheel, and someone else has a GunCon like in Time Crisis 3. Now that could be fun, and a great multiplayer game ... :D
That had been written about "Starsky & Hutch" on PS2 before the game was released. It was supposed to feature a cooperation mode, with a driver (using the wheel) and a shooter (using the gun). I didn't may much attention to this game since, so I don't know if the rumor came true.
20 years ago, we were playing with friends on Amstrad CPCs and the game was named 'Commando'. One guy had the joystick to move the hero and the second used the keyboard to throw hand-grenades. We were 10 or 12 years old and that was a real huge fun.

However, I don't really see such a fun possibility in a sim game like GT.

Back