Would I enjoy sim racing on my setup (love racing games) and what will i need to improve?

• Thread starter Theaterix
  • 18 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
This is my first post on this site, so i would like to say hi and hopefully you will see me around quite abit in the near future!!
So basically, i am looking to get into iRacing, and asetto corsa, because i absolutely love racing games, and I think racing sims are the best way for me to go to fill up my spare time!
So here is my CUSTOM BUILT BY ME system and hardware specs:
AMD 8320 OC 4.3GHZ
MSI 990FXA-GD65
Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz
Sapphire R9 290
LG Flatron 29UB65-P Ultra widescreen monitor (absolutley gorgeous, just got it the other day)

Highly imagine this is all you need to know as its all the deciding factors in what i can run etc.
I have about £380-400 to spend on everything i will need, including iRacing subscription...
So what is the best for me to buy, im looking to get a wheel as ive read my xbox 360 controller just wont cut it, and ive been looking about and a logitech G27 is £190, but im not sure so ill need recommendations on that too, so yeah, just give me some ideas on what i should invest my money into, and how it is best spent..

Thanks in advance, Jake

Hi Jake
A G27 will work fine to get you started, also looking for some kind of wheel stand/cockpit would be an idea if you are serious about your racing, being able to bolt down your wheel and pedals is an definite advantage, you dont want these items coming loose during a race (speaking from experience here).
Look for the promo codes thread in here somewhere to see if any of the codes still work to get yourself a couple of bonus items etc when you sign up.
I wouldn't spend any money on content until you get the hang of the rookie series, then think about what style of racing you want to get in to and make your purchases from there, buying in bulk for your content will also get you more discount.

Good luck and enjoy the experience :)

Edit here is promo code thread..gtplanet.net/forum/threads/iracing-promo-codes-updated.131900/

Last edited:
This is my first post on this site, so i would like to say hi and hopefully you will see me around quite abit in the near future!!
So basically, i am looking to get into iRacing, and asetto corsa, because i absolutely love racing games, and I think racing sims are the best way for me to go to fill up my spare time!
So here is my CUSTOM BUILT BY ME system and hardware specs:
AMD 8320 OC 4.3GHZ
MSI 990FXA-GD65
Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz
Sapphire R9 290
LG Flatron 29UB65-P Ultra widescreen monitor (absolutley gorgeous, just got it the other day)

Highly imagine this is all you need to know as its all the deciding factors in what i can run etc.
I have about £380-400 to spend on everything i will need, including iRacing subscription...
So what is the best for me to buy, im looking to get a wheel as ive read my xbox 360 controller just wont cut it, and ive been looking about and a logitech G27 is £190, but im not sure so ill need recommendations on that too, so yeah, just give me some ideas on what i should invest my money into, and how it is best spent..

Thanks in advance, Jake

If you're going to get iRacing, be aware that there is ALWAYS a deal on subscriptions on Black Friday, usually half price for a year. So look at using a promo code that gets you a bit of content that you'll use for cheap and don't worry so much about how long the sub is, because the Black Friday deal is cheaper than all the promos.

Well If I was to put say £200 into a wheel, I'm sure I could put out for a stand haha, but I shall see, any ideas on what is best on a budget?

And I've just got a free 3 month subscription off Iracing but over the next 9 days I'll see how imjoying it with a Xbox controller and I'll probably purchase the year!

It's probably extremely tough with an Xbox controller. I can't imagine anyone enjoying iracing with out a wheel. I don't really have any ideas around it other than getting a wheel. I started with a DFGT since I came from GT5 (which isn't a bad wheel, but I'd still highly recommend a G27 over it) and upgraded to a G27.

It's probably extremely tough with an Xbox controller. I can't imagine anyone enjoying iracing with out a wheel. I don't really have any ideas around it other than getting a wheel. I started with a DFGT since I came from GT5 (which isn't a bad wheel, but I'd still highly recommend a G27 over it) and upgraded to a G27.

Yeah if I'm going to do it I'll get the g27 and ate you 15 by any chance?

Your name has '99' in it, was just wondering if you were 15, if you dont mind me asking... because im 15 myself and just wanted to know how others the same age feel about it
No, that's just the PSN ID that I made up when the PS3 came out, I started with GT5 on PS3, so I just used the same name on here

If you're going to get iRacing, be aware that there is ALWAYS a deal on subscriptions on Black Friday, usually half price for a year. So look at using a promo code that gets you a bit of content that you'll use for cheap and don't worry so much about how long the sub is, because the Black Friday deal is cheaper than all the promos.
I signed up for the freebie in the summer and had no time to use it. Got in a few laps in the Miata and that was it. They offered me a renewal at $49/year and I snapped it up. If it's $29/year on Black Friday I'll:mad::banghead::banghead::lol:.

No, that's just the PSN ID that I made up when the PS3 came out, I started with GT5 on PS3, so I just used the same name on here

Ah okay, fair enough! so what do you feel like in comparison to GT5 as i have pretty much completed that game...?

I signed up for the freebie in the summer and had no time to use it. Got in a few laps in the Miata and that was it. They offered me a renewal at $49/year and I snapped it up. If it's $29/year on Black Friday I'll:mad::banghead::banghead::lol:.

hahaha, if its $29 for a year on BF i think i may just have to snatch that up, im almost certain i am wanting the wheel for christmas, so i think if the offer comes, i may just have to take it!

Ah okay, fair enough! so what do you feel like in comparison to GT5 as i have pretty much completed that game...?

I think I can speak for most of us here over at the GTP iRacing section....You can't compare GT and iRacing, iRacing is a whole new level when it comes to physics and online racing. GT is an easy pick up and play game, iRacing pretty much has to be taken seriously to enjoy it, you need to take time to set up your car, take time to practice before you can really start racing.
You will find most of us here started with the likes of GT and most of us have never gone back once we started iRacing (or PC sims in general).

hahaha, if its $29 for a year on BF i think i may just have to snatch that up, im almost certain i am wanting the wheel for christmas, so i think if the offer comes, i may just have to take it!
BF?

I think I can speak for most of us here over at the GTP iRacing section....You can't compare GT and iRacing, iRacing is a whole new level when it comes to physics and online racing. GT is an easy pick up and play game, iRacing pretty much has to be taken seriously to enjoy it, you need to take time to set up your car, take time to practice before you can really start racing.
You will find most of us here started with the likes of GT and most of us have never gone back once we started iRacing (or PC sims in general).

Yeah, i absolutely love the idea of iRacing, looks amazing, and im 15 and i dont have a huge background in racing or driving (obviously) but i am really good at racing games when i play them from time to time, im always up there on forza/GT multiplayer etc... im just looking for something more competitive i can really sink my teeth into!

Back