Would REALLY love to take 24 Hours of Le Mans online!

  • Thread starter Thread starter ESCUDO 1800hp
  • 11 comments
  • 1,053 views
Messages
274
The 24 hours of Le Mans against AI drivers is just too boring for me to start/complete. An average player with time on their hands could easily finish first. Competition is what makes a racing game a racing game as opposed to a driving game.

I'm sure there are others out there that would love to play the event online. Their team of drivers (real people, not "Bobs") vs other people's teams of drivers, using the game's Le Man's racers.

Throw in the option for people not racing in the event to "tune-in" on GT TV mode or whatever it's called, and it would be an epic show!
 
A friend mentioned how he'd like to do A spec events online against real people the other day...
The more I think about it, the more I like it. A few issues to sort out obviously, but hey..
 
Time ellapsed = 20hrs 18' 22.567

You have been disconnected from the server.

I'm not sure that would go down too well myself.
 
Or get kicked by the host for having a 20 second lead in the same car:grumpy:
 
maybe PD should start hosting some large, high performing, permanent rooms.
 
maybe PD should start hosting some large, high performing, permanent rooms.

That still wouldn't account for home connection issues, power cuts, maintenance work at the exchange etc... Its a nice idea but I wouldn't trust current technology to guarantee me a stable connection for something as momentous as a 24 hour race.

I think the general online racing punter wants a quick fix anyway - I was berated by some chap the other day for hosting 7 laps of Circuit de la Sarthe hehe.
 
I dont think that the HOST can kick you during a race or am I wrong?
 
That still wouldn't account for home connection issues, power cuts, maintenance work at the exchange etc... Its a nice idea but I wouldn't trust current technology to guarantee me a stable connection for something as momentous as a 24 hour race.

I think the general online racing punter wants a quick fix anyway - I was berated by some chap the other day for hosting 7 laps of Circuit de la Sarthe hehe.

LOL we set a 4 lap Nordschleife race yesterday and 5 people immediately left lol.

If Sony were hosting it I would give it a shot, but not with a random person hosting, because all the possibilities you mentioned are doubled ( even if your power doesn't go out etc, the hosts could).

I dont think that the HOST can kick you during a race or am I wrong?

They can but they have to exit the race themselves so it wouldn't be worth it to them.
 
Power can go out, connections can be lost, but I'm at level 37 and so far, I've had 100% uptime of power and network when I was playing which is I don't know- some 250-500 hours.
 
That still wouldn't account for home connection issues, power cuts, maintenance work at the exchange etc... Its a nice idea but I wouldn't trust current technology to guarantee me a stable connection for something as momentous as a 24 hour race.

I think the general online racing punter wants a quick fix anyway - I was berated by some chap the other day for hosting 7 laps of Circuit de la Sarthe hehe.

I've been online 5 day straight on some MMO I've played when my toon needed to sell stuff (didnt actually play for 5 day but I stayed on without any disconnection). So yeah it's possible to have a stable connection on something wiht lots of people and MMO I've played got like 2000 to 4000 people connected at the same time. So I doubt having 16 car would really be a problem honestly. They would just need to invest more on the online part of the game, which was cleary put aside on GT5. I mean GT5 prologe was far better online with category etc..
Seeing how GT5 network works is just sad comparing to FM3 or Iracing even if it's free.
 
I personally would like to. I wish there was a LAN feature because i know some friends would want to do it with me, but for online, i really don't trust ISP's reliability right now.
 
Dunno about 24 hours but longer races online would be good. I've done both the 24s in A-Spec and the AI was not so competitive!!

I'm thinking of running an on-line session each Sunday morning NZ time (Saturday night European) for 15 laps of the 'Ring (maybe 2 hours) - 500 HP/Sport Soft maximum - should be good for people who want more than a 10 minute race!!
 
Back