Would you have heard of Nissan Skylines if it weren't for GT?

did you know of Skylines before GT?

• Total voters

Parnelli Bone

www.gtcarreviews.com
Premium
United States
Columbia, MD.
Parnelli_Bones
Hey y'all. I'm posting this in the GT1 forum because GT1 is the first one I played.

I'm just thinking I never heard of Skylines before GT. This game educated me on them for sure, especially since I could read about these cars in the info pages offered for each car. What about you?

First time I read the name "Skyline", I think I paid little attention. I was probably cruising the used car lot, looking for a 240SX. Saw the name Skyline and probably thought "that name sounds too pretty for a sports car" and waltzed right on by...:D

Last edited:
I dearly thank Polyphony Digital for releasing my soul to my love towards the Nissan Skylines.

Yes, but I think living in the UK may bias my chances of know what one was prior to GT.

Scaff

I would have voted "yes" if I was able to that is; for some reason I am not allowed to. In any case, I only would have heard of them from looking at cars on the internet as I always do. In which case I'd of eventually learnt of their existence by simple browsing through every manufacturer etc.

By the way interesting topic Parnelli Bone.

This is Renisis Power A.K.A 787B-RX-7 Lovers new account. I seem to go away for a while and forget my log-in info and end up creating a new account it seems.

I am at a better time in my life so I imagine I'll be staying here more loyally now. It's nice to be posting again.:)

I would have voted "yes" if I was able to that is; for some reason I am not allowed to. In any case, I only would have heard of them from looking at cars on the internet as I always do. In which case I'd of eventually learnt of their existence by simple browsing through every manufacturer etc.

By the way interesting topic Parnelli Bone.

This is Renisis Power A.K.A 787B-RX-7 Lovers new account. I seem to go away for a while and forget my log-in info and end up creating a new account it seems.

I remember that name, Renesis Power. It's been a while, huh?

Maybe you have to get your post count up before you can vote? I'm just guessing. Anyways, visit a bunch of forums, get your count over 50, then come back and try to vote. I think 50 is when you switch from New to Active membership.

So that is why I could not vote at first, thanks for telling me. Well I just caste'd the obvious vote so there it is. Yeah, it sure has been a while around 1.5 years.

I voted yes. I had heard of them, because back in the 70's, there were a bunch of model cars I had on the go, and Datsun was definately in my collection... Not sure, but I might have had some in the Corgi or Dinky or Matchbox toys I used to have too... lol

No. Never heard of them till I got GT. Being that I was born in 1995, and I was 4 when I played and learned what a Skyline was.

I voted yes. I had heard of them, because back in the 70's, there were a bunch of model cars I had on the go, and Datsun was definately in my collection... Not sure, but I might have had some in the Corgi or Dinky or Matchbox toys I used to have too... lol

I'm pretty sure I had a Datsun 510 AFX slot car as a kid, that would be the American version of a Skyline GT-R. It wasn't called "Skyline" though. If I had any Matchbox or Hot Wheels Skylines, I don't remember.

You do make a valid point, but as with most models, it came with instructions of course. Usually, and if I remember correctly, they also had a description and the history of whatever car you were building, which included the "foreign badging" of the specific make\model of that car... Similarly, it's how I remember finding out that one of my family member's cars, the Austin Marina was "badged" as a Morris overseas... Just an explanation of my point of view.
Have a good one!

I'm pretty sure I had a Datsun 510 AFX slot car as a kid, that would be the American version of a Skyline GT-R. It wasn't called "Skyline" though. If I had any Matchbox or Hot Wheels Skylines, I don't remember.

Yeah I know I'm necro-posting this, but no. The 510 was called the Nissan Bluebird in it's native land. Completely different (well, as different as any Nissans were back then) from the Skyline platform.

I'm in your camp PB, GT was what got me into cars in general in fact.

Recently, I saw my first Skyline (well, not a Skyline any more, but a GT-R)
gtrfront.jpg

and also my first Silvia that I can recall, though an S12, much like an AE86
200sx.jpg

oh, and PS Parnelli, more stories!!!!

No, I never heard of them before I played GT. GT introduced me to a lot of cars I didn't know existed.

For me no i didn't know GT'S Before GT
My first GT Game was Gt2 Was 5 at the time i remeber i was saying i know every car in the world

Yeah I know I'm necro-posting this, but no. The 510 was called the Nissan Bluebird in it's native land. Completely different (well, as different as any Nissans were back then) from the Skyline platform.

Thank you.

Jeff: nice pics!

Well yes,as I used to live in an area which had lots of imported cars but I thank PDI and Kaz for allowing me to backdate and drive many variations.👍

Although not officially sold through Nissan dealers at the time, the R32 GT-R competed in Group A Touring Car races in the UK in the very early '90s. So yes, i did know of them before Gran Turismo.

I've been aware of it since it won Bathurst in 1991.

This. I might be a comapartively young whippersnapper at age 20, but my love of touring cars since I was a child introduced me to the Nissan Skyline, and I used to watch old videos all the time.

1987 BTCC Donington 1 Hour Endurance - Andy Rouse/David Sears (Ford Sierra) vs Win Percy/Alan Grice (Nissan Skyline GTS-R). Superb dice for the lead.

And of course, what touring car fan can forget the Gibson Godzilla?

Back