Would You Like to Have a Feature in GT7 That Coaches You How to Race?

• Thread starter dabz343
  • 29 comments

Would You Like to Have a Feature in GT7 That Coaches You How to Race?

• Yes

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • Yes, make it part of my single player campaign

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Yes, but I'm not sure how

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • Not really, I'm not sure if competition is my priority

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 16 39.0%

• Total voters

dabz343

(Banned)
United States
United States
dabz343
Just thinking of content extensions here. Many enjoyed GTS because of the ease in which it brought competitive racing, but I suspect the majority of GT fans opted out...hence GT7's reprise.

But I wonder...how many of you are itching, or at least curious about getting your feet wet into competition against HI (human intelligence)? As I see it now, I am seeing many familiar GTS faces in dailies, but questioning if PD could do more to bring newcomers along...

If you are at-one with a pad, recently purchased your first wheel, or upgraded to a DD, and are wondering if you have the skills to earn that coveted DR A+ (or SR A+...I know there isn't such a thing...yet...), then can PD do something to provide a glide path?

To be honest, it is a bit like 'sink or swim' for the novices atm, and the game physics aren't helping those starting out...but would you guys like a way in?

@dabz343 i don’t know what you mean exactly by coaching how to race.

You mean Inputs Wise, Racecraft?!
We already have the Driving Licenses.
I think they already teach you pretty much everything you need to know Inputs Wise.
At least the Basics I’d say.
The rest is practice and experience which i don’t know how you want them to be taught.

You know what’s the most important thing in my opinion ?!
Something that you simply can’t teach, but it’s the most necessary Attribute out on the Track.
Respect.
Yes, respect and an appropriate Behavior on Track.
To me, the right Mindset plays the most important Role in Racing Games.
I always aim for maximum Immersion and realistic Behavior when I’m playing Racing Games.
Especially when playing the Online Part.
But unfortunately I’m mostly alone out there with that Attitude.
So yes, to come back to your Topic, I would like a Feature that coaches you how to Race.
But more Kind of from a Mental Point of View.
And I absolutely believe I’d be the perfect Coach on that specific task 😁

@dabz343 i don’t know what you mean exactly by coaching how to race.

You mean Inputs Wise, Racecraft?!
We already have the Driving Licenses.
I think they already teach you pretty much everything you need to know Inputs Wise.
At least the Basics I’d say.
The rest is practice and experience which i don’t know how you want them to be taught.

You know what’s the most important thing in my opinion ?!
Something that you simply can’t teach, but it’s the most necessary Attribute out on the Track.
Respect.
Yes, respect and an appropriate Behavior on Track.
To me, the right Mindset plays the most important Role in Racing Games.
I always aim for maximum Immersion and realistic Behavior when I’m playing Racing Games.
Especially when playing the Online Part.
But unfortunately I’m mostly alone out there with that Attitude.
So yes, to come back to your Topic, I would like a Feature that coaches you how to Race.
But more Kind of from a Mental Point of View.
And I absolutely believe I’d be the perfect Coach on that specific task 😁
Like the perspective going on in this post...

Stepping back, I guess what I'm trying to ask is...would it be entertaining for the fans to have PD usher them into competitive racing? For all those that are still sitting on the sidelines because of one reason or another?

I'm not sure how to provide this in detail, but as you have continued from GTS and now into GT7...you have found your way. But for some -- especially those that just got their real licenses -- could PD design GT7 to attract the next gen? I think they are there...my nephew is more of a nut about cars than I ever was at his age :bowdown:

For example, would an Academy make sense...honestly, I think there are legions of fans that want a way in...but are somewhat intimidated to start. And totally understandable, because it is currently SINK OR SWIM!

EDIT -- IF you are new, sign an account and get in the tussle...soon you will be...

Last edited:
The problem for me is the match making. Every race I’m in the bottom 5, every race has 2 drivers who lap 5-7 seconds faster then everyone else.
I’ve never won and this puts me off.
In a grid of 20, if I race 20 times I should have some chance of making the podium at least once.

Like the perspective going on in this post...

Stepping back, I guess what I'm trying to ask is...would it be entertaining for the fans to have PD usher them into competitive racing? For all those that are still sitting on the sidelines because of one reason or another?

I'm not sure how to provide this in detail, but as you have continued from GTS and now into GT7...you have found your way. But for some -- especially those that just got their real licenses -- could PD design GT7 to attract the next gen? I think they are there...my nephew is more of a nut about cars than I ever was at his age :bowdown:

For example, would an Academy make sense...honestly, I think there are legions of fans that want a way in...but are somewhat intimidated to start. And totally understandable, because it is currently SINK OR SWIM!

EDIT -- IF you are new, sign an account and get in the tussle...soon you will be...
A ok, now I get where you’re coming from and heading towards.
You know all I can say is that when I started to learn to swim, my Father just simply threw me in the Cold Water.
Yes I was scared, shaking and felt the Fear of drowning.
But I knew my Father was sitting in our small little Wodden Boat which my Grandfather built Handcrafted.
So yes, it probably would be a good thing to take some younger People by the Hand and Guide them through their first online Steps 👍

Last edited:
The problem for me is the match making. Every race I’m in the bottom 5, every race has 2 drivers who lap 5-7 seconds faster then everyone else.
But I knew my Father was sitting in our small little Wodden Boat which my Grandfather built Handcrafted.
So yes, it probably would be a good thing to take some younger People by the Hand and Guide them through their first online Steps 👍
We all need -- and get -- a push...PD has an opportunity here, especially after GTS where the savvy were just ready to pounce...

But for the love of this sport, could we find a way to bring others along? The young ones are the future, they will be the torch bearers, why not invite them in early and show them the honorable way...

well, if the Sophy AI comes around, one of the applications Kaz intend it to have is to be a driving coach.
Yep, that is indeed an interesting feature. Imagine, a personal coach that lessens the learning curve by coaching you every step of the way...I would have loved that in GT1.

But, I'm wondering -- especially watching how PD is misfiring -- if they are aware of the potential for GT7...and maybe more importantly, if they are aware of how to delight their fans?

Don't make the game for me...make it for the next gen.

I won like 30 times online in GT Sport but don’t really bother with it. I prefer solo content.

I do think GT7 does a worse job teaching new players than GT Sport which had those narrated videos for the driving school. This game just has videos of a gold time ghost with “instructors” that don’t do anything but annoy you to keep trying.

In a grid of 20, if I race 20 times I should have some chance of making the podium at least once.
I am there with you but just don't give up. I am always told it will come and I pass that along to you - a podium (and a win) will come eventually.

I am there with you but just don't give up. I am always told it will come and I pass that along to you - a podium (and a win) will come eventually.
See, I am telling you they are there...they just need to be welcomed by those that have experience and the wisdom to share.

Would ya be open to new tricks? Or perhaps sharing a few tips?

Or at the least, if you are happy where you are --- can't you remember how others helped you get started?

EDIT -- I'm telling ya, some folks here are just simply, utterly...negative.

Last edited:
I voted no. Plainly because I don't trust PD to be the ones capable of teaching proper racing. This comes from years of having their AI show no awareness of other cars, PIT maneuvers and having some of the oddest penalty systems and track limits. No series would give you a track cutting penalty for losing control, slowing down and rejoining once you are under control but having lost large amounts of time. PD does.

That said, if they were to get other people to develop a training series and then code up the skills tests for them I might think it would be a good idea. Encouraging more license barriers for some of the online racing as well would help. Car control is that much harder to learn in GT7 so keeping some barriers in there would be painful, but useful, such as having some lobbies limited by the level of license you have earned.

I voted no. Plainly because I don't trust PD to be the ones capable of teaching proper racing. This comes from years of having their AI show no awareness of other cars, PIT maneuvers and having some of the oddest penalty systems and track limits.
Interesting reason for voting no...but I understand.

If PD put a stake in the ground and offered something respectable, would that curry favor? Not sure if 3rd parties are an option, but with so many sims/competition now, doesn't it make sense to tap into the loyal fanbase and offer something that is both unique and entertaining.

I was thinking something along the lines of the current driver licenses...but much more in-depth...with payouts of course, but also progression -- like DR but more focused on racecraft...I'm not sure exactly how to frame it, but what I am trying to highlight is that when I watched GT Academy for the first time, my thought was -- they should have this in the game.

Guess the key question is -- what is the game version?

Interesting reason for voting no...but I understand.

If PD put a stake in the ground and offered something respectable, would that curry favor? Not sure if 3rd parties are an option, but with so many sims/competition now, doesn't it make sense to tap into the loyal fanbase and offer something that is both unique and entertaining.

I was thinking something along the lines of the current driver licenses...but much more in-depth...with payouts of course, but also progression -- like DR but more focused on racecraft...I'm not sure exactly how to frame it, but what I am trying to highlight is that when I watched GT Academy for the first time, my thought was -- they should have this in the game.

Guess the key question is -- what is the game version?

That's why I stated that currently it would be a no if it was from PD. Their terrible penalty systems from previous versions in GTS as well as some of the decisions from live world tour events make me question their racing judgment.

I do think a racecraft training guide and program would be well worth the investment and the time as long as they could get it right. Use inputs from lots of the world tour drivers to properly develop it including what sort of tips you need to know.

What things would need to be included?
Braking while following another car
Leaving room while on the inside
Leaving room while on the outside
When do you have the corner
How to recognize a single lane portion of track where not to pass

What things would need to be included?
Braking while following another car
Leaving room while on the inside
Leaving room while on the outside
When do you have the corner
How to recognize a single lane portion of track where not to pass
Basic rules on etiquette sure...so you can apply it in real life too. But I'm imaging something much broader and deeper. Remember GTS once claimed (I thinnk...) that you could earn a race license by playing?

I jumped in and did my first online races yesterday. First time ever. I didn’t try very hard at qualifying so I was near the back of the field and was able to follow along, watch and learn. What I saw was disappointing. I was punted off the track in the first turn, then I watched people duel for no reason other than perceived slights as they tried to knock each other out. I saw several people rage quit in the first lap after spinning out or missing turns. And it never really got much better. The biggest challenge he for me was to try to run a clean race and not get lapped by the leader who was running six seconds faster laps than me. When he finally did win by 48 seconds then he started posting stupid texts taunting and bragging like he’s 8 years old (which, let’s face it, he probably is and that’s why his reflexes are so much better than mine!).

What I’d like to see is, instead of individual license tests and then the café menu, maybe a sort of driving school idea where licensing is done as well as etiquette and strategy in preparation for races. Teaching actual techniques like choosing and maintaining driving lines, different kinds of turns and chicanes, trail breaking, how to hold position and when to yield, who has right of way, and stuff like that. The tests and races get harder as you progress through school to graduate with the big race, and then move on to series or online racing or whatever.

At this point there doesn’t seem to be any consistency between solo vs AI and the online races, and the penalties are all over the place. I wish AI drivers got penalized the same way humans do. I wish online races were a little more granular in how they are grouped. Even after one day I have a higher safety rating than many of the schmucks I’m racing against. And I shouldn’t be racing against drivers who are clearly so much better than me. I’ll never, ever, be as fast as some of those “beginners.” As someone pointed out already, having races or lobbies limited to license level would be a great start. Driving school could be a way to bring that all together.

And one last observation that occurred to me: if they made people pay to repair their damaged vehicles I bet the racing would clean up a whole lot pretty quickly. I had a (non-racing) game years ago where battle damage was deducted from the payout. They could add a garage with more repairs to the GT shop. I know that won’t be very popular because it brings in the whole “micro transaction” problem. But as long as we’re wishing I may as well add that to the list.

Last edited:
Well. Racing is:
  • car set up. We could have some more tutorials on that
  • driving fast. We have licence tests and circuit experience
  • tire and fuel tactics. We have races and missions for that
  • racing against other cars. We could have some more tutorials on that, f.e. defensive driving and overtaking techniques

Last edited:
Well. Racing is:
  • car set up. We could have some more tutorials on that
  • driving fast. We have licence tests and circuit experience
  • tire and fuel tactics. We have races and missions for that
  • racing against other cars. We could have some more tutorials on that, f.e. defensive driving and overtaking techniques

Man oh man, an actual tuning tutorial?! Can you imagine? And then a PP system that isn’t broken so we can actually have the option to tune for races?!

I jumped in and did my first online races yesterday. First time ever. I didn’t try very hard at qualifying so I was near the back of the field and was able to follow along, watch and learn. What I saw was disappointing. I was punted off the track in the first turn, then I watched people duel for no reason other than perceived slights as they tried to knock each other out. I saw several people rage quit in the first lap after spinning out or missing turns. And it never really got much better. The biggest challenge he for me was to try to run a clean race and not get lapped by the leader who was running six seconds faster laps than me. When he finally did win by 48 seconds then he started posting stupid texts taunting and bragging like he’s 8 years old (which, let’s face it, he probably is and that’s why his reflexes are so much better than mine!).

What I’d like to see is, instead of individual license tests and then the café menu, maybe a sort of driving school idea where licensing is done as well as etiquette and strategy in preparation for races. Teaching actual techniques like choosing and maintaining driving lines, different kinds of turns and chicanes, trail breaking, how to hold position and when to yield, who has right of way, and stuff like that. The tests and races get harder as you progress through school to graduate with the big race, and then move on to series or online racing or whatever.

At this point there doesn’t seem to be any consistency between solo vs AI and the online races, and the penalties are all over the place. I wish AI drivers got penalized the same way humans do. I wish online races were a little more granular in how they are grouped. Even after one day I have a higher safety rating than many of the schmucks I’m racing against. And I shouldn’t be racing against drivers who are clearly so much better than me. I’ll never, ever, be as fast as some of those “beginners.” As someone pointed out already, having races or lobbies limited to license level would be a great start. Driving school could be a way to bring that all together.

And one last observation that occurred to me: if they made people pay to repair their damaged vehicles I bet the racing would clean up a whole lot pretty quickly. I had a (non-racing) game years ago where battle damage was deducted from the payout. They could add a garage with more repairs to the GT shop. I know that won’t be very popular because it brings in the whole “micro transaction” problem. But as long as we’re wishing I may as well add that to the list.
When you start, you have a low driver rating. Try to get that to A or S asap by clean racing. Then it becomes much better. Not perfect, but much better.

No. I think it's common sense really. I'm a pad user and I'm not a really fast pad user either. In just consistent with laps and my biggest skill is my defensive driving. Even if you are 2 seconds a lap faster than me, I won't make it easy for you to pass me without being stupid weaving in and out.

When you start, you have a low driver rating. Try to get that to A or S asap by clean racing. Then it becomes much better. Not perfect, but much better.
I am giving your comment a pile of poo.

In concept - agree but I have had more problems with A/A+/S drivers than any others levels. Can they drive better than me? - most definitely. Do they? - some do not (and really I don't think they try). The constant "bumping" (not what I would consider acceptable rubbing) driving some off track, the "pit maneuvers", or the disrespect in chat is often discouraging to lower drivers. If you are an A/A+/S driver you should know how to get around those not quite up to your skill/confidence level. Thanks to the matching force out there that I usually only see them in daily races. Nation's Cup and Manufacturer's Cup is more level.

I know what D drivers drive like - I make some of the same mistakes myself but rarely are the mistakes intentional. I am not sure anyone can say the same for the upper level drivers. Get to the A/A+/S level as quickly as possible - only if you can get to the top split level. Drivers there (at least the ones who post here and the ones who You Tube their racing) appear to drive cleaner.

Hey these are just my thoughts - probably worth crap to most but they are honest.

Enjoy your racing!

Enjoy your racing!

Some good thoughts here, and from others above...great that you jumped in, but now you understand why I'm asking if something like a 'GT Academy' might be fun/valuable to have in GT7?

To be clear, I'm not suggesting something very elaborate. Rather, just a good, solid primer...for those that are just venturing into it for the first time...nothing that is mandatory for all players. No, no. For the ones that want the basics brought to them in a way that is pure GT. If players like it, then expand it over time...especially with AI enabled with learning, new possibilities exist for gameplay.

PD already has the 'GT Academy' trademarked...possibilities are there, but players have to want it.

Last edited:
You pretty much have a coach.
Its called License Tests.

Too bad the AI doesn't use the same thing you learn in the License test, the license test tells you acceletate out of the apex, AI brakes at the apex.

Some good thoughts here, and from others above...great that you jumped in, but now you understand why I'm asking if something like a 'GT Academy' might be fun/valuable to have in GT7?

To be clear, I'm not suggesting something very elaborate. Rather, just a good, solid primer...for those that are just venturing into it for the first time...nothing that is mandatory for all players. No, no. For the ones that want the basics brought to them in a way that is pure GT. If players like it, then expand it over time...especially with AI enabled with learning, new possibilities exist for gameplay.

PD already has the 'GT Academy' trademarked...possibilities are there, but players have to want it.
If you want voluntary participation, then maybe a lobby or a league would work, organized by whoever wants to be the instructor. That has some real potential if anyone has that kind of time to organize it.

If you want voluntary participation, then maybe a lobby or a league would work, organized by whoever wants to be the instructor. That has some real potential if anyone has that kind of time to organize it.
Certainly, and I did see many 'Friends Only' lobbies in GTS that was doing just that...but I'm thinking something that is an in-game feature, perhaps part of the single player journey (like Circuit Exp) that novice players could spend quality time learning, practicing and evolving. Like I said above, the easiest way to describe it is GT Academy. Imagine many, many layers of immersive tutorials/challenges/time trials/races that is presented to help guide you through all the interesting nuances about car physics/control/racecraft/tuning/etc...

Imagine just on the topic of braking...it could take a progressive journey so one get's a comprehensive look.
1. Threshold braking
2. Threshold braking following a lead car
3. Threshold braking following a lead car while also being followed
4. Trailbraking (FF/FR/MR/RR cars)
5. Braking into slow corner
6. Braking in fast corner
7. How to come off of brakes smoothly
8. Braking to manage weight transfer into transient stage
9. Braking on and off racing line
10. Braking to make a pass (both inside and outside lines)
11. Braking with tire/fuel degradation

Of course, full telemetry/replays/leaderboards/prizes will need to exist, and I am hoping (if possible) that with Sophy on the horizon, many other interesting/custom features that enhances the journey of learning. If done with imagination, it could be enjoyable for so many -- even the experts.

While Circuit Exp and Licenses are good, I just think they are currently thin and there is an opportunity to get much more immersive here...especially if the players are playing GT7 as a means to get closer and closer to competitive racing -- at any level.

Back