Would You "Pay To Play & Win Money?"

Would You "Pay To Play" To Race GT4 and/or GT5 And Win Money ?

• YES! I'd be open to "Pay To Play"

Votes: 14 38.9%
  • No! I would NOT like to win money playing GT4!

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Maybe! Would need more details before making a decision!

Votes: 19 52.8%

• Total voters
United States
Washington State
Hello-

Earlier today, I came across the "FormulaVR.com" website; For those not familiar with the web site, they sell a racing cockpit that is compatible for PC and/or console racing. Now, while I was reviewing their web site, I noticed that they have setup a 'pay to play' type of event, using GT4 and quite similar to the GTP WRS series; However, it's only open to users of their Vision Racer Racing cockpit.

HOWEVER

It got me to thinking....regardless of whether or not you have a racing cockpit or use a DS2 over a wheel, I was wondering how many of you, if a system was in place, would be open to spending money, in order to race against other GT players and actually WIN MONEY?

I've got a few ideas running around in my head right now, but before I start putting 'pen to paper', and having some marketing background, I wanted to put this idea out to there to the GTP community and get your feedback before writing down my ideas.

So, who would be open to such an event? If so, would you be open to a small transaction fee per event, or would a small 'monthly fee' be better suited?

Thanks for your feedback!

SimRaceDriver

I voted maybe. I think it really depends on how much you spend, and what prizes there were. Also, just a tip. Multiple choice for some reason means that you can actually pick more than one option. I think you might have wanted to select the other option, so that only one choice could be picked.

In my opinion its stupid if you had to P2P GT4.Like how much trouble to pay for the game every week/month like that.Just look at those P2P MMORPG games,they ask you to pay and you got hooked buying avatars,weapons,skills,et cetera and later only to have your account hacked and every item stolen,then only you realize it sucks to P2P.I think it needs a good game system and/or have some sort of service or something.I don't really care about paying,as long as you have fun playing it thats all i care about.

@MINICOOPER120: Thanks for the info regarding the 'poll'...this was my first poll I've created since joining, so I just 'went with the flow', if you know what I mean. I'll see if I can edit the poll stats!

@mnm_bmx: The idea for now is to see if anyone is open to actually open to the idea of racing and winning money! So, maybe I'm not quite understanding you when you say:

"...Like how much trouble to pay for the game every week/month like that...

I'm sure everyone here already has a copy of GT4 and either a PS2 and/or a PS3, so besides the cost to actually race, then there's no other costs involved. I'm sure some folks enjoy just racing the WRS every week, to see how they 'stack up' against other GT4 players for nothing more then the 'thrill of racing' and a little friendly 'competition'. However, my idea is to actually devise a system that allows YOU to WIN MONEY playing a game you already play.

But regardless of your concerns, I appreciate the feedback 100%!

SimRaceDriver

i voted that i will pay to play.

I mean it would be ok as long the prices dont go up to much i am thinking of a couple of euro’s or ingame credits

I voted "Maybe" as well, for me it all depends on how much of a hassle it would be and the price, because money is tight now-a-days, everyone knows it :indiff:

Here's just a few things that I'm thinking regarding this situation:

1. We'll start off using GT4, which everyone has and then once GT5 (Actual Game) comes out and enough people have it, then we'll switch over to that and if needed, make a few changes 'if' GT5 offers online support.

2. The only 'prize' awarded, for now, is COLD HARD CASH - and all cash distributions would be paid via Paypal.com.

3. Based on the amount of people interested, I would like to see up to 4 different 'divisions' setup and prize money awarded to either the top 3, 5 or 10 drivers...again, this is all based on the number of participants and how many divisions can be formed based on overall number of racers/drivers.

4. I'm also going to be posting this poll on other boards, as I don't want to just limit it to GTPlanet, as the more people who commit, the more prize money everyone can make.

If anyone has any additional questions/concerns, please feel free to either post them here, or PM me.

Thanks,

SimRaceDriver:

Yes, I have a vision racer, and Yes I would like to pay, per event not monthly, then you only can win what you paid to enter, plus you need to work out a few different divisions so someone like holl01 doesn't win all the prize money, and personally wait for GT5, Its going to be hard to moderate the running of it is you set it up like the WRS, its a complicated system with MAX drives and all that stuff, so yes I would pay say 1-3 pound per event entry if you could get a good set up.

Please let me know what you think to those points

@Stevisiov90: In looking over the Formulavr web site, they appear to have a 'membership' setup, ranging from $15 to $25 (per person); However, I was thinking of something a little less expensive...say somewhere between $7.00 and $10.00 monthly. I think it would be easier across the board to have a single 'monthly subscription', as opposed to trying to deal with single, individual payments for any given race.

And as mentioned in a previous post, I DO want to setup multiple divisions, so the 'fast drivers' are divided into their own division.

The way I see it and want to run it, a monthly membership would allow everyone to race as many events as possible, as well as submit multiple times for all the different types of races I'd like to run. (Race Cars, Sports Cars, Classics, Rally, Etc., Etc.).

* There would also be NO ADDITIONAL charges except for the monthly membership.
* Everyone now running the WRS has what they would need to 'pay to race..and win money', but instead of saying coming in 4th or 5th place and not getting the recognition in the current WRS, they could at least walk away with some money in their pocket...even if it's somewhere between $5.00 & $10.00...which is more then what they're walking away with now for all the time they've spent in submitting their times.

My ultimate goal here is to take the equivalent of the WRS and expand on it to actually allow ALL RACERS, the opportunity to actually make money from a game they love to play. I want to have this open to ALL GT players, from all the major boards and from all countries! :D

If anyone has any additional questions or suggestions, please do not hesitate to reply to this thread or send me a PM.

Thanks,

SimRaceDriver

I voted "maybe". I'd rather have a buddy to race against instead of paying online, but right now that's not gonna happen. :( So Icould see in the future being interested in this concept.

Last edited:
Well, I suppose if there was a place I could go and say, place a buck to race 9 other people, with the winner taking say 5, second place 3 and the house 2 per race, or something like that, it might be fun, but at least for me the stakes would have to be small.

I can go out to an amateur auto-cross and really drive for as little as $10 per event. Sure, you usually only win a t-shirt or something, but still, the virtual racing would have to be much cheaper than "really racing" to interest me.

Well, I suppose if there was a place I could go and say, place a buck to race 9 other people, with the winner taking say 5, second place 3 and the house 2 per race, or something like that, it might be fun, but at least for me the stakes would have to be small.

I can go out to an amateur auto-cross and really drive for as little as $10 per event. Sure, you usually only win a t-shirt or something, but still, the virtual racing would have to be much cheaper than "really racing" to interest me.

panjandrum: Thanks for the feedback...Really appreciate it!

I understand that for a small fee, some folks can actually go out and do some real-life "auto-crossing", which is something that I've wanted to do for some time, but don't have the current 'ideal car' for. :D .. but also realize that doing that on a consistent basis starts to incur additional costs, like if anything happens to your car,and you need to fix it, or you need to start considering needing to purchase tires, then you've got to factor in the cost of fuel/petrol, etc.,etc.,

However, my goal is to allow ANYONE - ANYWHERE in the world the ability to drive against other racers of similar talent/ability and to WIN MONEY!

So, I'm aware that the costs involved would need to be somewhat minimal, but still at a point to where it's worth someone's time and energy to even want to participate.

I'm still throwing a few ideas together on how to implement everything, which hopefully would make this setup easy to put in place and maintain.

Keep the feedback/responses coming everyone...I know there's got to me more of you out there who wouldn't mind making some extra CASH playing a game you already love to play! :D

SimRaceDriver

I'm usually not the online gaming type. Best I would probably do is enter some local or regional GT contests and play for cash. This would be a cool concept for the pro GT gamers. I'm not really a play-for-cash guy myself, but I'm sure there are a number of people who'd likely step up and play for a big prize, a la the World Series of Video Games.

This concept would be okay for GT4, but the real fun would take place if it were for GT5. With many more cars on track at once, it would be you vs. others at and above/below your level. Would I take part? Not really. I think it's a pretty nice concept, but I wouldn't do it since I'm not really that kind of gamer. I'm more of an old school gamer that just plays for fun. Kind of like the difference between college and pro sports.

So that's my take. Great idea; I'm just not that kind of gamer. Off-topic: you should have made this a poll where you don't make multiple choices. Imagine if someone clicked the "Yes" option and the "No" option. Make a poll whereas a person can only select one choice and not this multiple choice deal. Not hating, just saying.

Thanks everyone for your feedback! Guess with over 195 views and only a total of 32 votes, there's not much interest. Maybe this will/would change 'when' GT5 comes out but only time will tell I guess.

As for the poll options themselves, I tried to go back to edit the poll, but couldn't find a way to do it without starting a new one, so I just left it 'as is'.

Thanks,

SimRaceDriver

For me it certainly would change for GT5 the idea is good but, I don't own a MAX drive and I would like to wait for an online setup, so yes it sounds cool and I do want to participate but on GT5 for me.👍

Most likely. It would make gaming much more exciting and would allow talented gamers out there to earn some well-deserved money. 👍

Back