• 9 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
GT Planet, welcome to my thread.

Match Racing is a term that I use based on N64 game "1080." A "match race" is basically you versus another car in a shootout. It's like drag racing. And to make things not as boring, these races will be short. Now where have you seen such a thing? How about the rally mode in Gran Turismo 3 where you race against another rally car.

Would you want to have match races, then? I'll start.

If there was match racing, it would be boring because it is just you and another racer. It would be interesting to have Knockout Competition with a maximum of six (or maybe 4). But if I wanted a match race, say I had a Camaro GT Race Car and my opponent had a tuned Cobra-R, and I challenged him to... oh yes, you can decide where you want to race, or you can accept his/her challenge and where that person chooses to hold the race. If you win, you win money, but if you want to, you can make a stipulation to win his/her car in a "run what you brung" basis. So if the racer put in a Stage 3 NA Tune or a Stage 4 Turbo with racing intercooler, you have a nice car to take to the races (keep in mind, these would mostly be street cars, so don't think you'll beat a Le Mans race car at Grand Valley).

Would you want to have these races? Reply.

Good ideas, but I think it would become too easy to build up your garage, not much work to get good cars.

It would be good if you coudl set the grid yourself. And I Don't mean put yourself at tha front, you choose the cars that race. All motorsport Elises in one race, ummmm.

Match racing is very popular in sailing. The America's Cup (most prestigious race) is a series of match races between 20 something boats. I think it could be cool if the races were short enough, like two to five laps.

Also, the grid would have to be predefined. You can't have people showing up in Vipers wanting to race against guys in 350Zs. Match racing works best with a 'fixed fleet' or 'one make' architecture.

Maybe I'm thinking about the ever popular "racing for slips" deal. You know like in (dare I say) "Fast and the Furious?" You beat the racer, you win his/her car.

Maybe a good idea for a match race would be a random car generator that will match your car's specifications. This may even include unlockable cars. And I think that if you like the competitor you see so much that you want the car he/she has, you can challenge them for their car. Also, the competition will be varying. You can have Tokyo Xtreme Racer-style racing (keep accelerating away from your opponent until they give up), time trials (during a specified time limit, post a faster time than your opponent. Penalties will be in play), sometimes, even a short race where the driver MUST make a mandantory pit stop can be used. If match racing is considered, the goal must be traditional to illegal street racing, however remaining true to a professional environment.

Well the only way a "match race" would work IMO will be the idea of sponsering your own car but to mee that all goes back to online raceing, where you start up your own races and race for money or cars, and everything works with your simulation mode, true it will be alot of work to do but I think it would work alot better online than offline.... How it will work... well you start up your own race tournys and you set the rules, pink slips, money etc... now you choose the car out of your garage to race with.. now if I beat someone I automatically get there car and they lose it out of there garage or vis vera and with money aswell.... If I decide to sponser a race it will be my money people win.. well you get the point, but all in all you have great ideas with this but to me only in a street raceing game it will work better offline... but for GT it will work best online...

Originally posted by JohnBM01
Maybe I'm thinking about the ever popular "racing for slips" deal. You know like in (dare I say) "Fast and the Furious?" You beat the racer, you win his/her car...

Haha I was thinking exactly that!:D

Keep in mind. A match race with online play will give you one-on-one matchups. That is, if you'd rather punk out some bloke down the street than someone halfway across the world. I can sense the Chevy Camaro vs. Ford Mustang battles right now...

Looking back at this topic, I decided I'd bring this one back. Apparentely, there are a few race tracks (two I can recall) that will be in GT4, Citta di' Aria and Amalfi (formerly conceived as "Capri"). Now if you want to match up cars, it COULD be possible, but the streets are so narrow that it would be hard to imagine any real RACING going on. The McLaren F1 blew through Citta di Aria in certain videos I seen online many more days and weeks past this thread's latest post before this one.

Anyone still think Match Racing could catch on?

Back