Wouldn't it be cool if...(retro futurism inside)

United States
Marin County
GT-1, GT-2, and GT-4 all incorporated a rather novel, fun, and not-too-terribly cumbersome GUI. I'm talking about the 'city' that you navigated in the menus to get to the dealerships, races, and garage.

What if this concept was brought back, but actually expanded?

PD has said in the past they would like an open world element to GT gameplay. Why not make the city, in addition to simply a graphical interface, a playable environment too? Think of it as simple, non-satellite imagery, Google maps (GT1, GT2, GT4) when you are simply using the screen to quickly navigate to race selection or the car dealerships, but then Google street view if you want to (optionally) actually drive around/explore that environment? It would also be a perfect place to put in easter eggs. GT1 menu music when you access a certain dealership/location 'manually?' How awesome would that be?

To make it even more fully wrought, PD could place some of their fictional courses within this environment (at least the generic street circuits) to provide a seamless experience. The race location, then, would probably be some sort of transport hub to the different real world venues across the world.

Just an idea.

Just shy of brilliant. Only downside I can think of is how time consuming it would be to drive back and forth to do everything.

Another thing that would be cool, since GT is supposed to be super real and all, would be having upgrades take time. For example, say you wanted to do all 3 engine builds, a semi racing exhaust, and a stage 2 turbo. You're car would be locked for 5 game days or something like that. And tires would have a "life" to them. So if you buy a set of racing softs and use them up at an event or an online session you would have to purchase another set afterwards.

Last edited:
Why is GT3 left out?

GT3 didn't really have a city, did it? I don't recall. And to LVracerGT: this would be totally optional. You could just move the cursor over to the different spots as per usual, if you were so inclined. I just hate that in GT5, when I want to just go for a drive the only two courses that begin to satisfy that need are SSR7 and NRing

edit: Just looked it up, and it also had a city, albeit a smaller one. So yeah, GT3 as well.

Back