wow enjoying GT4 again and totally different

• Thread starter mtgear1
  • 6 comments
been about 4 years since i played GT4

to pass the time waiting for GT5 i bought a PS2, and a copy of gt4

last time i played GT4 was on a standard definition tv with the control pad

now playing in 1080i with a wheel and simple hud view... and it is a lot different

feels like GT4.5... highly recommended to anyone who hast tried it

👍

Haha, it must be :D It would be a pleasure for players who don't have GT5 ;)

Although GT5 is much better than GT4 in the quality of the picture, but GT4 is quite realistic as we know :)

I just started ToCA 3 for the first time as I'm waiting for GT5. A little off-topic, but I can't help comparing ToCA 3 to GT4. I've heard so much about how ToCA blows away Gran Turismo, but I would disagree on a few points.

GT4 has a better looking replay by far. ToCA replays look robotic in comparison.

You can't toggle between cars (or look behind) during a ToCA 3 replay. And ToCA replays only last 5 minutes or so.

GT4's wheelspin (especially front-drive) feels more immediate and urgent. ToCA feels floaty in comparison. I hear the wheels slipping, but I don't feel it so much.

While I love ToCA for the fact that it's got a Hard and Normal difficulty mode, Hard is great...but almost TOO hard...too agro, while Normal is way too easy. I'm blowing away the game in Normal mode. To get good in Hard mode will take me a long time, I'm not sure if I'm gonna stick around playing ToCA once GT5 comes out.

GT4's tuning customization (with the whole concept of credits in sim mode) gets me into the game much more than ToCA's, in which I merely feel like I'm getting in car after car, without necessarily 'earning' each one.

But ToCA has an edge over GT4 in lots of other ways. Not going into them here, I've already gone too far off-topic. :guilty:

Last edited:
I've driven ToCa 3 (aka DTM 3 or Race Driver 3) as well - in my case, on the Mac.
GT4 has some visual advantages on Toca, but as a racing game, the former loses out overall. GT's AI is just too awful to make it a good game :yuck: , let alone several other utterly moronic aspects of its design (like making the player wait over 1 minute before starting a mission..) GT4 wins out big time in terms of variety and number of cars to drive, though - that's its big plus. 👍

While Toca3's physics are 'arcade with sim-ish leanings' like GT4, it does win out in the physics department - it's just that little bit more slippery, allows more control and doesn't have GT4's built-in "let's have the rear axle stick to make it easier to play" rear-end-stabiliser fudge. :indiff:

Where ToCa3 (as a pc and Mac game) loses out though is that Codemasters didn't make it moddable at all. There's just barely any add-on stuff available, and that's a real drawback in terms of tracks and cars. Like GT4, you're kind of stuck with what you get, and given the numeric advantage of GT with its oodles of available cars that nullifies any possible advantage there.

That said, compared to a *real* sim, both games lose out.
Besides GPL and a bout of GT4 I've been getting acquainted with GTR2 and its many mods; physics-wise and in terms of visuals, tracks and add-on cars (try the free Civic, GTL or Beetle Cup mods, real fun!) it blows GT4 straight out of the water even though it's an older title.

You need a wheel or at least a set of gamepad thumbsticks to drive it, but after a few minutes in a sim like GTR2, iRacing or Race On you'll know where GT4 is lacking ever so much. 💡

That said, GT4 is five years old by now and "only" a PS2 arcade game - to make it too hard/realistic in terms of driving physics would've limited its appeal to the general gaming public.

Regards, R (GPLRank: -40)

Last edited:
I just started ToCA 3 for the first time as I'm waiting for GT5. A little off-topic, but I can't help comparing ToCA 3 to GT4. I've heard so much about how ToCA blows away Gran Turismo, but I would disagree on a few points.

GT4 has a better looking replay by far. ToCA replays look robotic in comparison.

YOu can't toggle between cars (or look behind) during a ToCA 3 replay. And ToCA replays only last 5 minutes or so.

GT4's wheelspin (especially front-drive) feels more immediate and urgent. ToCA feels floaty in comparison. I hear the wheels slipping, but I dont' feel it so much.

While I love ToCA for the fact that it's got a Hard and Normal difficulty mode, Hard is great...but almost TOO hard...too agro, while Normal is way too easy. I'm blowing away the game in Normal mode. To get good in Hard mode will take me a long time, I'm not sure if I'm gonna stick around playing ToCA once GT5 comes out.

GT4's tuning customization (with the whole concept of credits in sim mode) gets me into the game much more than ToCA's, in which I merely feel like I'm getting in car after car, without necessarily 'earning' each one.

But ToCA has an edge over GT4 in lots of other ways. Not going into them here, I've already gone too far off-topic. :guilty:

Indeed GT4 has visual advantages over other racing games in some points.
And also there are many things worth doing in the game.

Wow, I can imagine how hard it is though I don't know about it at all :embarrassed: I hope you do well to clear on hard mode.

Just started playing a couple of days ago.... I can't stop! I missed getting GT4 when it originally came out because I skipped the whole PS2 generation. Now, I'm playing catch-up.

I've driven ToCa 3 (aka DTM 3 or Race Driver 3) as well - in my case, on the Mac.
GT4 has some visual advantages on Toca, but as a racing game, the former loses out overall. GT's AI is just too awful to make it a good game :yuck: , let alone several other utterly moronic aspects of its design (like making the player wait over 1 minute before starting a mission..) GT4 wins out big time in terms of variety and number of cars to drive, though - that's its big plus. 👍

While Toca3's physics are 'arcade with sim-ish leanings' like GT4, it does win out in the physics department - it's just that little bit more slippery, allows more control and doesn't have GT4's built-in "let's have the rear axle stick to make it easier to play" rear-end-stabiliser fudge. :indiff:

Where ToCa3 (as a pc and Mac game) loses out though is that Codemasters didn't make it moddable at all. There's just barely any add-on stuff available, and that's a real drawback in terms of tracks and cars. Like GT4, you're kind of stuck with what you get, and given the numeric advantage of GT with its oodles of available cars that nullifies any possible advantage there.

That said, compared to a *real* sim, both games lose out.
Besides GPL and a bout of GT4 I've been getting acquainted with GTR2 and its many mods; physics-wise and in terms of visuals, tracks and add-on cars (try the free Civic, GTL or Beetle Cup mods, real fun!) it blows GT4 straight out of the water even though it's an older title.

You need a wheel or at least a set of gamepad thumbsticks to drive it, but after a few minutes in a sim like GTR2, iRacing or Race On you'll know where GT4 is lacking ever so much. 💡

That said, GT4 is five years old by now and "only" a PS2 arcade game - to make it too hard/realistic in terms of driving physics would've limited its appeal to the general gaming public.

Regards, R (GPLRank: -40)

Yea, like I said, ToCA3 has lots of things that it does better than GT, putting more Ai on the same level as you is one of them. Rather than battling 1 or 2 or (rarely) 3 cars in GT4, ToCA has me battling up to ten at a time!

Oversteer is also much better represented in ToCA3. Even in front-drives. Take a turn too hot, or if your settings or tire combo is wacky, and the car WILL spin.

Going too far off topic again :guilty: It's all my fault.

Indeed GT4 has visual advantages over other racing games in some points.
And also there are many things worth doing in the game.

Wow, I can imagine how hard it is though I don't know about it at all :embarrassed: I hope you do well to clear on hard mode.

It's extremely urgent in Hard mode. Gotta really be on your game or else...

Just started playing a couple of days ago.... I can't stop! I missed getting GT4 when it originally came out because I skipped the whole PS2 generation. Now, I'm playing catch-up.

Cool. GT4 is fun times. Wondering if this active forum is gonna finally die when GT5 comes out, matter of fact.

Back