Wow this is a close, well-matched race series...oh wait.

  • Thread starter Thread starter ZZII
  • 13 comments
  • 725 views
Messages
559
GT All-Stars professional leage. RX-7 LM Race Car, fully tuned. Head to head against the only real competition in that series, the R390. The R390 absolutely blew me away off the line but I was able to slowly creep back due to the better handling of the RX-7 and the AI R390 sliding and spinning any chance it got. Plus, I was running super slicks and didn't have to pit. First race, Laguna Seca. I came back from 28 seconds back to win. Second race, Deep Forest, once again I came back from 14 seconds behind to win. Midfield backwards, I managed to actually pass him before he pit, won by 20 seconds. Test course, the R390 should have killed me but the RX-7 perfectly geared was able to pull ahead slowly. At this point, I am in the fourth race thinking to myself, "Wow, this is a great series, a great challenge. Three races so far decided by less than 45 seconds combined, all comeback wins. And now I am leading race #4 on the course I thought I would have the most trouble with. Races this close are rare in GT3 and are the best part. They are why I play the..." Then, the turning point. Lap 8. The oil lamp comes on. Yes, I won Test Course. But the next race I lost 50 HP and I could no longer keep up at all. Needless to say, I was very dissapointed. The great challenge, the comeback, underdog victory, the truly amazing race series ruined by the oil! Man I hate that! :banghead:

Anyway I guess the moral of the story is go back with my 787B and kick the crap out of the R390.

BTW which is better for this race, the ZZII or 787B? I have both but never compared them.
 
Heh, I know how it feels when you've set up your car to run competitively with the AI, then the competitiveness goes to all hell once the oil light comes on. Quite frustrating isn't it? PD definitely needs to allow the changing of oil in the next game. That way, you will be able to actually have a realistic chance at winning a championship in a significantly inferior car.

I would say that the 787B is better. I don't have the ZZII right now but I have driven it. Quite a nice ride, but it doesn't stand up to the 787B, stock or otherwise.
 
sweet, i will try this out soon. I really think we need a forum with posts like this. instead of fooling around to find good matchups, we could just go look in that forum. GT3 is only fun if you can find hard as hell matchups.
 
The 787b is a great car if you want to pull ahead in the race, and lap the other cars. If you want a battle, a ZZII at stock is a good laugh. The upgraded ZZII you can pull away a good lead
 
Wow!
That's a nice close racing series!
I know all about it... but when you can change the oil during championship... PD could eliminate the oil change thing!
I think it should stay in GT4!! :cool:
 
thanks everyone. i decided to go with the ZZII over the 787B. You're right, the 787B is faster. But I have had more experience with the ZZII (2,200 miles worth) and the car has never let me down. Even with 50-60HP less than the 787B I am turning better lap times in the ZZII right now. I raced Laguna Seca again and left the R390 in the dirt, literally. I was using Medium tires so I had to pit on lap 8. As I was coming out of the pit, the R390 went in so I thought I was good. Then out of nowhere a 787B comes flying down the main stretch. I was like, "Where the hell did he come from?" No matter, I passed him a lap later and he pitted anyway. However, I decided to put on Super Slicks so I wouldn't have to worry when the oil light came on. I go to change the tires and, of course, I never bought Super Slicks for the ZZII! So, not wanting to lose to the oil light again, I quit and picked up Super Slicks, Slicks, and Medium Slicks. Man this series is giving me a hard time!:banghead:
 
:D To ZZII:
You need to do a Write-Up of your experience!!! Lots of us love close fought races, let alone a series!!!

To advanR:
For what it's worth, you've got my vote!!! If the drifters can have their own sub-forum, how about those of us who relish a long tight race, not just blowing away a bunch of road cars w/F-1s or other racers!?!?!?!?...UB57
:D
 
absolutely...i would love to go back and run some tight races after i finish the game. maybe put it in as a suggestion.
 
mmm...close race. shame the hp loss effected you so much
 
Originally posted by UB57
If the drifters can have their own sub-forum, how about those of us who relish a long tight race, not just blowing away a bunch of road cars w/F-1s or other racers!?
Well, that's pretty much the point of the Writeups forum. The only reason to go there is to investigate other peoples' expreience. An 'F1 vs. the World' race is a foregone conclusion so there is no point in writing it up or reading about it. The only people who bother to make writeups or read them are those who are looking to see how tight a race they can win.

So by all means, everybody who likes tight racing should post your results on the Writeups board!
 
i will soon i think. i have had a few attempts at a very tight race ending up well.

beating a the lm prototype cars at the ssr11 endurance with the denos sard supra is one. i think i used medium hard tires, so i was pitting almost as constant as them, i didnt use super hards for a large advantage. I found a way to win by preserving my tires so that i could skip the last pit stop. then i won by a very small amount. a well driven JGTC car can be within a few seconds of the AI in a gtone.
 
i'll definately try that one. i like the denso sard supra. i think i used the ZZII for that when i did it, but it wasn't close at all (non of my enduro's are, scared to lose after 2+ hours). i started a thread in write-ups where people can post some stuff, called "Close, Tight Races" or something like that.
 
I never thought to use the ZZII. After seeing all the others that have utilized this car for so many races, I think I'll have to take it out for a run.

As for the GT All-stars pro, I ran a 787B in stock form. I threw on a Stage 1Turbo for the Test course, as I wasn't looking forward to running that race. I'll never hold it against anyone who wants to have a blow out on the test course.

Thanks for hte info on the tight races. And, yes, the WRite-ups forum is for posting info about tight, close races, and what you did to win it.

AO
 
Back