Wrc 2004

• Thread starter -Fred-
  • 25 comments

-Fred-

This is a custom title
Staff Emeritus
Canada
Somewhere.
Rally Monte-Carlo starts in 10 days, with a bunch of new comers, and a bunch of new cars. You'll excuse the lack of proper caracters on the driver's names, or the spelling mistakes in them. I'm not familiar with Scandinavian languages. :P I'm also going by the driver pairings for the Monte Carlo rally, so the second drivers might change from rally to rally.

Subaru

Drivers: Petter Solberg/Phil Mills
Mikko Hirvonen/Jarmo Lehtinen
294691.jpg

(no pictures of the 04' car, so we'll have to do with the 03 version. I doubt there will be much change externally, aside, of course, the number plate.)

I'm not certain Solberg and Hirvonen will be able to match last year's results. Whether or not the fact they're still the only team using Pirellis will be to their advantage remains to be seen, as it wasn't much of one last year.

Citroen
Drivers: Sébastien Loeb/Daniel Elena
Carlos Sainz/Marc Marti

03169106.jpg

Surely the team to beat this year, IMO, with the best driver pairing. Loeb gained in experience last year, and Sainz is still one of the best there is. The Xsara also gained in efficiency, and in speed. Loeb or Sainz 2004 champion, then. (Mark my words, if that doesn't happen in October, I'll resign from making predictions... :lol: )

Peugeot
Drivers: Marcus Gronholm/ Timo Rautiainen
Freddy Loix/ Sven Smeets

art_3225_2_Peugeot%20307%20WRC%2001.jpg

New car from Peugeot, based on the 307CC. Much uglier than the 206, but will it be faster? It took a bit over two years to turn the 206 into the all conquering machine it now is, and I'd expect the same with the 307. Not this year either, then, Marcus.

Ford

Drivers: Markko Martin/Michael Park
Francois Duval/Stéphane Prévost

1645-8.jpg

The car that will be closest to the Xsara this year, IMO. It was pretty fast when it got introduced last year, and hopefully they fixed the bugs.

Mitsubishi

Drivers: Gilles Panizzi/Hervé Panizzi
Gigi Galli/ Guido D'Amore

evorally1-big.JPG

Once again the biggest car in the championship, it's as like Mitsubishi doesn't care about winning. The days of the EVO V/VI are truly done, and it's a shame. Panizzi might be fast on the tarmac events if the car is sorted out, and I don't know the other guys enough to comment on them...

Oddly, no Skodas entered at the Monte, and no official roster either. Didier Auriol left the team a bit before Christmas, along with the team manager, but i haven't heard/read any news regarding the 04' Fabia.

Hyundai already announced last summer they wouldn't be in this year.

I know about C McRea. I also know about the new rule but what happened to Burns? Surely he'd be in a team.

He was diagnosed with a brain tumour before Rally GB last year, hence he will not participate this year.

Well, looks as if it will be Citroen V Subaru again.

Great thread PR 👍

He was doubley lucky. He fainted at the wheel of his porsche whilst doing a recce of the rally. A fellow WRC competitor was in the passenger seat and managed to grab the wheel. Even if he doesnt race again, I hope he makes a full recovery after all the treatment he will have to endure.

Thanks for digging up those picks. This year already proves to be VERY interesting. The only thing I'm wishing for is some kind of revision to the 3rd driver rule (I realize why it's there, but I feel like it'll cause more problems in the long run - i.e. more young/old driver turnaround).

I CAN'T WAIT to see the Corona Rally of Mexico and Rally Japan!

Speaking of which, here's the Calendar. :)

23-25/01 MONTE CARLO
05-08/02 SWEDEN
12-14/03 MEXICO
16-18/04 NEW ZEALAND
14-16/05 CYPRUS
04-06/06 ACROPOLIS
25-27/06 TURKEY
16-18/07 ARGENTINA
06-08/08 FINLAND
20-22/08 DEUTSCHLAND
03-05/09 JAPAN
17-19/09 GREAT BRITAIN
01-03/10 ITALY
15-17/10 CORSICA
29-31/10 CATALUNYA
12-14/11 AUSTRALIA

Cyprus, Acropolis and Turkey all piled one of top of the other, something about that I don't fancy. Not to mention at least one of them has to go.
Kenya shall return I tell you!

:D

Hmm, I might try and make it to the rally this year.

One of my mates takes a few days off school to go, I'm sure I could do that too.

Originally posted by jizzmirk
With the exception of Africa's rally, aren't those the most harsh?

True, but they could at least be spread out a little more, it's only because they're practically right next door to each other that they're all one after the other.
What annoys me is the scenery is always the same. It's like you're watching the same rally you did 1 or 2 weeks ago.
Having a tarmac event 'sandwhiched' between 2 others at the end of last year was dull as well.

Caught the Swedish Rally. Can't say that I'm too happy with Ford's finishes, but they seem to be really close to having that new car nailed down.

PETTER SOLBERG WON!!!

Marcus Gronholm was only 5 seconds behind at the end.

That was Petter's and Phill's first Rally NZ win. My favourite driver won. w00t. :D

I read he had a massive scare when he lost his power steering, and in doing so, some 21 seconds to Marcus too, he then got back in front when Gronhölm had trouble with the handbrake of his 307, which I thought was odd.
Petter is by far my favorite driver as well. The 2004WRC Impreza seems to be on the right track too, the fast track that is.

Originally posted by Sleek Stratos
I read he had a massive scare when he lost his power steering, and in doing so, some 21 seconds to Marcus too, he then got back in front when Gronhölm had trouble with the handbrake of his 307, which I thought was odd.
Petter is by far my favorite driver as well. The 2004WRC Impreza seems to be on the right track too, the fast track that is.

Yep he spun and tapped the bank enough to damage his power steering. At the end of that stage he was 1 sec behind. He retook the lead after Gronholm's mysterious spin.

Petter is also my favourite driver. He doesn't take everything to seriously. He is always joking around and having fun

Back