WRC 8 Review: An Engrossing Rally Sim Contender

Get both. But to choose which one first... If you want to drive historic cars, or want the best overall driving & handling experience, and don't mind making your own events in Free Play or playing the online events & the fairly bare-bones career, then go with DR2.0. If you want to drive modern WRC cars and want the most immersive career experience with team management & car development, then go with WRC8.

I wont be able to get both, playing time is limited as are the funds.

The immersive career is swaying me towards wrc8, played the original dirt rally to death and dirt rally 2.0 looks basically the same again.

I wont be able to get both, playing time is limited as are the funds.

The immersive career is swaying me towards wrc8, played the original dirt rally to death and dirt rally 2.0 looks basically the same again.

It's not really the same game as it's different tracks with better physics, feedback and improved graphics.

Having said that and especially if you missed out on WRC7, WRC8 is going to likely provide you with the fresher experience overall. If you're big into online then maybe DR2 over WRC8.

The extra content for the money with WRC8 probably makes it the better buy & pick up the super deluxe version of DR2 maybe months down the line when discounted.

It's not really the same game as it's different tracks with better physics, feedback and improved graphics.

Having said that and especially if you missed out on WRC7, WRC8 is going to likely provide you with the fresher experience overall. If you're big into online then maybe DR2 over WRC8.

The extra content for the money with WRC8 probably makes it the better buy & pick up the super deluxe version of DR2 maybe months down the line when discounted.

I haven't experienced a wrc since the license was acquired by these developers so this would be a totally fresh experience.

Not into online at all so WRC looks like the best bet.

Thanks for the advice !

In general, not bad, but there are a number of questions. Why am I buying additional content getting its worst quality? Why is it just copied from v-rally with the same errors? Why do classic cars do not change the ground / asphalt wheels? Why do stratos have a protector drawn across the wheel? Why is the fiesta wrc cockpit from the 2013 model?

The key factor for choosing WRC 8 over DR 2.0 is truly the masterpiece tracks. After a night in WRC, I booted up DR 2.0 only to find the stages really bland and boring. The sense of speed is also much better in WRC and I feel the cars handle more natural and there is a sense of weight to the cars I love.

Tarmac is miles better and I just feels like WOW when driving ... especially Monte Carlo I was blow away and caught myself having a huge smile when doing the twisty bits through the village.

So far, my only downside to WRC is the suspension feedback from DR 2.0. The rest, I prefer everything. With a good headset and volume cranked up, ambiant sounds to the max there was just a sense of being there when blasting through Turkey and hearing the rocks chip away, the TV helicopter flying hover me as I blast down the hills with ultra realistic weather.

Forget the detractors, check out a few playthrough on youtube and make your own mind. These days on the internets, people look at the more popular opinion and are like ... yep, that is my opinion right there, that's what I think.

Look at the game for what it is, make your own mind and you might be very very pleasently surprised.

I’ll have a look eventually just not very excited I can’t purchase it on steam currently.
Thanks for the review was a good read.

Yeah, that was a disappointing decision. Cost them a purchase on my end.

Great review though. :)

The key factor for choosing WRC 8 over DR 2.0 is truly the masterpiece tracks. After a night in WRC, I booted up DR 2.0 only to find the stages really bland and boring. The sense of speed is also much better in WRC and I feel the cars handle more natural and there is a sense of weight to the cars I love.

Tarmac is miles better and I just feels like WOW when driving ... especially Monte Carlo I was blow away and caught myself having a huge smile when doing the twisty bits through the village.

So far, my only downside to WRC is the suspension feedback from DR 2.0. The rest, I prefer everything. With a good headset and volume cranked up, ambiant sounds to the max there was just a sense of being there when blasting through Turkey and hearing the rocks chip away, the TV helicopter flying hover me as I blast down the hills with ultra realistic weather.

Forget the detractors, check out a few playthrough on youtube and make your own mind. These days on the internets, people look at the more popular opinion and are like ... yep, that is my opinion right there, that's what I think.

Look at the game for what it is, make your own mind and you might be very very pleasently surprised.

You sum it up perfectly. The track design in WRC is barely even comparable to DR 2.0 really - the real deal is just impossible to emulate.

Last edited:
Ever since the thirty second rally stage in dirt 3 codemasters has been going backwards with stage design.

Shame as the rest of their game is decent but driving on country lanes as wide as a motorway doesn't exactly get the adrenaline flowing.

Ever since the thirty second rally stage in dirt 3 codemasters has been going backwards with stage design.

Shame as the rest of their game is decent but driving on country lanes as wide as a motorway doesn't exactly get the adrenaline flowing.

I think that's a bit of an exaggeration. Stage design in dirt is among the best being as they are, you know, real stages :dopey:.

WRC8 they've gone for a more 'inspired by' approach to the events, adding in famous corners and landmarks to make them recognisable. And of course the 1:1 super specials. Which is all totally fine because the stages are excellent in WRC8.

What we have is 2 games with 2 set of very good stages.

It's not dirt 3 did have a thirty second stage in it. Was one of the silliest things I've seen in a game

Yes it did. You said ever since they've gone backwards. Which couldn't be further from reality. Dirt 3 is also a very different type of game so can't really be compared to the current ones.

I think that's a bit of an exaggeration. Stage design in dirt is among the best being as they are, you know, real stages :dopey:.

WRC8 they've gone for a more 'inspired by' approach to the events, adding in famous corners and landmarks to make them recognisable. And of course the 1:1 super specials. Which is all totally fine because the stages are excellent in WRC8.

What we have is 2 games with 2 set of very good stages.
DR stages are also altered to a degree as well, if you want the most accurate recreations of actual stages go for SLRE, those about as accurate as you can get for something you can't exactly laser scan.

Im curious are the tracks distinctly different designs in wrc 8 from wrc 7? (If they are I will pick up the latest version for sure) Ive picked up wrc7 this week for 9 quid on psn and really like the track designs just drove 23km of poland tonight what a blast it was... The physics arent as good as dirt 2, but after reducing the pad sensitivity its become a good drive now. Its certainly more fun with the handbrake than dirt 2.

Never liked a WRC game and decided to buy this one today and give them another try. I honestly can’t believe how good WRC 8 is. Took some time to get the ffb settings where I wanted them but after that I couldn’t put it down.

Of the nearly 500km of unique stage length, roughly 250km are brand new. The rest are from 7 and a few of those have some minor changes to the layouts.

I suggest dropping 7 and getting into 8 as it is a much better game.

Well now not to rain on your parade but that’s not quite accurate. 260.07 unique KM in this game. The stages get reversed to make up to 490.13 competitive KM. The unique figures include just over 30km of super specials. So in terms of actual rally stages it’s closer to 230 unique Km. 👍

Well now not to rain on your parade but that’s not quite accurate. 260.07 unique KM in this game. The stages get reversed to make up to 490.13 competitive KM. The unique figures include just over 30km of super specials. So in terms of actual rally stages it’s closer to 230 unique Km. 👍

We've been through this before. I count reversed stages as unique km for a number of reasons explained in another thread.

Having alot of fun with wrc 7 defo gonna grab 8 when the price drops... Was wondering what you folks think of wrc 6 its £6 on psn at the moment, im tempted to grab it for more variety... Im interested if it has different track layouts to wrc 7 & If the physics are reasonable...

Having alot of fun with wrc 7 defo gonna grab 8 when the price drops... Was wondering what you folks think of wrc 6 its £6 on psn at the moment, im tempted to grab it for more variety... Im interested if it has different track layouts to wrc 7 & If the physics are reasonable...

It's worth getting. The physics are not as good as 7 but are still engaging enough, it has more stages than 7 some are the same others are different, (and haven't been seen again not even in 8). I got it free with Xbox games with gold, played through all championships earlier this year, it was fun. One thing to note - the stages are definately wider.

Also if you have a Pro it will likely run at approx 60fps, like on the XB1X.

It's worth getting. The physics are not as good as 7 but are still engaging enough, it has more stages than 7 some are the same others are different, (and haven't been seen again not even in 8). I got it free with Xbox games with gold, played through all championships earlier this year, it was fun. One thing to note - the stages are definately wider.

Also if you have a Pro it will likely run at approx 60fps, like on the XB1X.

Yeah ive got a pro... I think I will add it to the collection then, thanks for the reply.

Back