WRC for PS2

• Thread starter vat_man
  • 29 comments

vat_man

Staff Emeritus
It's out in Oz, and I have it!!

Very impressive - drives well, looks very good. Feedback through the GT wheel is good, if a little on the soft side.

And, I'm pleased to report, I've already had my first 'flat in 6th' crash multiple roll-over.

Next time you hear 'right 2 don't cut', you damn well don't cut that corner young man. Fantastic!

Fans of the WRC should have a look at it - mind you, there's practically no head-to-head racing so some people might find it bit dull.

IS IT AS GOOD AS GT3 RALLY STAGES, I MEAN WITH GT3 YOU CAN 'FEEL THE ROAD', OR IS THIS GAME ONE OF THOSE WHERE YOU FEEL AS THOUGH YOU ARE JUST HOVERING OVER THE ROAD LIKE COLIN MCRAE?

ALSO DO YOU THINK IT HAS A LONG LIFE?

BE HANDY TO KNOW AS I NEED ANOTHER GAME BUT I DONT WANT TO WASTE ยฃ40.

CHEERS BUDDY
:cool:

Originally posted by HUDSONJONES
IS IT AS GOOD AS GT3 RALLY STAGES, I MEAN WITH GT3 YOU CAN 'FEEL THE ROAD', OR IS THIS GAME ONE OF THOSE WHERE YOU FEEL AS THOUGH YOU ARE JUST HOVERING OVER THE ROAD LIKE COLIN MCRAE?

ALSO DO YOU THINK IT HAS A LONG LIFE?

BE HANDY TO KNOW AS I NEED ANOTHER GAME BUT I DONT WANT TO WASTE ยฃ40.

CHEERS BUDDY
:cool:

Mmmm - interesting question.

I don't think it has quite the same kickback as GT3 through the Logitech wheel, but the feel is very different for difference surfaces - gravel, tarmac, snow, mud etc. It's definitely an improvement over the physics of Colin McRae 2. You have pretty limited set-up options but the basic handling model of the cars is pretty solid, so it's not really an issue.

To be honest, I think you would need to be pretty interested in WRC to buy the game. There's no head to head racing, just against the clock (I personally love that rally-style stuff) so it may have limited appeal for a lot of people.

I was still playing Colin McRae 2 up to when I bought GT3 so for me the life thing isn't that much of an issue, but others may get bored with it

I'm going to have to wimp out and say try it out. It's one that may polarise.

I also have this game and I think it is fairly good. Its up with GT3 and Burnout as the best racing games on the ps2 in my opinion. Some of the cornering cn be a b*stard though, I always end up dropping off the side of one of those mountain stages. :P

Originally posted by Brian P
I also have this game and I think it is fairly good. Its up with GT3 and Burnout as the best racing games on the ps2 in my opinion. Some of the cornering cn be a b*stard though, I always end up dropping off the side of one of those mountain stages. :P

I know what you mean, you need to get in the discipline of braking on the road before the corner - not much point when you're in the air past the corner!

The brakes are surprising effective on gravel, I've often nailed them mid-corner after misjudging the camber and they've done the business.

This is a game where 'slow in fast out' really does pay dividends.

Highlight so far has been hitting a house on the Finnish rally.

Originally posted by risingson77
Man...I want this game! Unfortunately, I haven't seen even a hint of a US release. We have NASCAR games, though. :mad:

You could imagine a navigator in a Nascar:

- long left 2
- long left 2
- long left 2
- long left 2
- long left 2
- long left 2
- caution - crash, into long left 2

and so on...

Originally posted by vat_man

I know what you mean, you need to get in the discipline of braking on the road before the corner - not much point when you're in the air past the corner!

The brakes are surprising effective on gravel, I've often nailed them mid-corner after misjudging the camber and they've done the business.

This is a game where 'slow in fast out' really does pay dividends.

Highlight so far has been hitting a house on the Finnish rally.

Yeah I hit a couple of houses, my highlight was hitting a spectator and everything on the car smashed

Originally posted by Brian P

Yeah I hit a couple of houses, my highlight was hitting a spectator and everything on the car smashed

Hoo! Good one!

Haven't had a REALLY big one yet - come close a couple of times.

I'm working my way through the 'normal' difficulty rallies (three to go, won all of them) so I haven't had to push too hard, but I can see myself having a big one on the 'expert' level when I'll need to push harder.

Originally posted by paulluciano

Easy easy. Children let's all just get along.

We all have fast cars. Let's just sit down and play with them nicely.

Yes, but I want a fast car driving sideways on an unimproved road!

:D At last i have now had a couple of hours playing the game, well what can i say, not a bad game, probably the best rally game so far.IMO. (i still prefer GT3's rally attempt)

couple of gripes, sometimes the navigator is a bit behind on the instructions, not good when you are going into a blind hairpin and hitting the cliff face and damaging the ol' steering and suddenly the navigator shouts "caution hairpin!", minor niggle.

has anyone had an issue with replays being jerky?

also do you unlock anuything? cars, special tracks etc?

on the whole a good game.

:confused: ps that darn'd NASCAR, what is that all about? :confused:

On the main menu, in extras, there is a secret code part, to gain the secret codes you have to win on professional rallies.
Im still on the normal rallies though.
I have the same problem with the late navigator, you get a hairpin right while you're already rolling off the side of the mountain.

As u may all know, those that own the game at least (or may not if u not read the instruction book :D) there is a rally challenge and it will be held online. I not gonna tell u about it (just go read the instructions) Oh, and for all of u who ain't got the game, don't worry your not missing out on a full on internet multiplayer experience.

I was thinking about setting up a league for all members of GTplanet if they think they're good enough to beat me :lol:

If enough people make it clear that they wanna race then I'll go set it up.

Oh, and by the way...I already got the challenge licence!

- long left 2
- long left 2
- long left 2
- long left 2
- long left 2
- long left 2

and so on...
haha......so true :)

Yeah, I'd have a go at a WRC league - why not! :D

Agree with the late navigator - I've started to keep one eye on the map - it's much better to go in too slow than too fast.

One thing I do like is the variation in the GT3 steering wheel for each surface - tarmac is heavier but smoother, gravel lighter with kickback, snow is smooth and light. Cool!

There's an international competition for WRC starting in January. There's 14 countries competing and the winners from each country goto a Grand Final held in Monte Carlo :eek: The winner of the Final Wins a Special Edition EVO VI :eek: :eek:

Let's put it this way lads....I'm going down to get my copy today. Need to start practising!!

Checkout the WRC website --> http://217.158.61.220/info.asp?lang=en

I never hear of this game. Is it out in the u.s. ??? if it is when did i come out. I havent seen this game anywhere.

Originally posted by NocturnalPS
I never hear of this game. Is it out in the u.s. ??? if it is when did i come out. I havent seen this game anywhere.

I understand it has not as yet been released in the US - this came up in another thread 3 or 4 weeks ago and at the time I was unable to find a US release date.

Originally posted by HUDSONJONES
has anyone had an issue with replays being jerky?

I have! The problem started last night. At first I thought it was a problem with my console or the disc, so I exchanged my disc for another one. But it is also has skipping, jerky replays. I'm still suspecting it's a problem with the PS2 but you never know. Anyway, I've e-mailed Evolution Studios themselves.

All in all, a pretty good game albeit marred by the jerky replays.

BTW, at the Colin McRae Rally 3 forums, some certain "diehards" are getting "sightly" p***ed off at WRC 2001. Click Here to see what I mean!

Originally posted by Impreza P1

I have! The problem started last night. At first I thought it was a problem with my console or the disc, so I exchanged my disc for another one. But it is also has skipping, jerky replays. I'm still suspecting it's a problem with the PS2 but you never know. Anyway, I've e-mailed Evolution Studios themselves.

All in all, a pretty good game albeit marred by the jerky replays.

BTW, at the Colin McRae Rally 3 forums, some certain "diehards" are getting "sightly" p***ed off at WRC 2001. Click Here to see what I mean!

The CMR boys take their rallying seriously. My kinda people. :)

I have CMR2 for the PC. I like it quite a bit, except for the fact that it locks up my computer! I guess it's a conflict the game has with some Voodoo drivers. I should try reinstalling it with my WickedGL drivers.

Wow - people get really hooked up into this stuff don't they?

It's a bit hard to compare WRC with CMc2, given that I haven't played the PC version, so I'm talking PS1 v PS2.

A lot of the views formed in that forum seemed to be based on pretty limited runs on the game.

Damage really only appears when you hit actual things, like houses, trees, rocks and poles (hit all of 'em). The damage is quite realistic, not so much in appearence but effect on the car - gearbox, diff, engine, suspension, all affect the car the way they should.

Mind you, as we saw through the TOCA series Codemasters are the masters of drawing damage on cars.

I'm playing through the GT3 Logitech wheel and the surfaces are very different to drive on, to the point that the gravel in Australia is very different to the Finnish gravel, and these are different again to the British gravel.

I have no issue with the driving model - the Logitech is probably a bit light for my tastes, but that is after GT3 which has quite heavy steering.

I quite like the driving model - a sniff of understeer on turn-in, with oversteer available under power or braking (just like you'd expect a 4WD with a slight rear drive basis). I don't think it's arcadey at all, it's probably as good as CM2, although the handbrake effect could be a bit stronger.

There are some issues:
- there's no adjustability in handling. You can set suspension as soft, medium, hard, and pick your tyres and braking strength, but you can't independantly tune the front and back. This is considerably countered by the fact that the car set-up is basically sound, but it would be nice to set up the car to understeer a bit more on the fast tarmac rallies
- the two-player mode is indeed a complete joke
- I know it's a rally simulation, but there should probably be some head to head stuff. It would probably compromise the backgrounds a bit
- you can't have the handbrake on and change gear at the same time (Logitech 'feature' I think)
- where are the F2 cars?!?

A lot of the comment there seems to be flavoured by a perceived threat to their precious game.

Knowing Codemasters I'm sure CM3 will be excellent - the basic driving model was pretty solid in the other games - but I've no doubt they've had to go back to the drawing board to an extent after WRC2001's release.

Originally posted by risingson77

The CMR boys take their rallying seriously. My kinda people. :)

Too seriously in some respects. Whether this is a good or bad thing depends on what kind of gamer you are.

A lot of the views formed in that forum seemed to be based on pretty limited runs on the game...

A lot of the comment there seems to be flavoured by a perceived threat to their precious game...

Pretty much so. The anti-WRC bias is incredible. They don't even show the least bit of open mindedness. Hell, I was even accused of being employed by Evolution Studios at one point for saying the slightest good comment about WRC 2001. They refuse to acknowledge that all driving games have faults. (At least, I haven't seen a perfect one yet) I worry when I see zealots like those guys. It's silly, immature, illogical, pointless and time wasting arguments like this that give video gaming in general a bad name. Look at the Sega Vs. Sony Vs. Nintendo Vs. Microsoft arguements with their repective zealous supporters raging about everywhere. (More apparent than most to UK peeps with the Teletext service. (Page 480). It makes me wonder why they bother.

- long left 2
- long left 2
- long left 2
- long left 2
- long left 2
- long left 2

and so on...

Man, :D :D :D :lol: :D :D :D

don't do that!!! I fell out of my chair and almost hit my head on the desk, I could have been seriously injured. What is wrong with you. :P

Seriously, that IS one of the funniest things I have seen in a long time. Thanks man, I needed that.:smilewink

Barry

Originally posted by barryf1fan
don't do that!!! I fell out of my chair and almost hit my head on the desk, I could have been seriously injured. What is wrong with you. :P

Seriously, that IS one of the funniest things I have seen in a long time. Thanks man, I needed that.:smilewink

Barry

That would be a bruise on YOUR horizon.

All part of the service.

the fact that the car does not react realistically to inputs (because the Dark Emperor/Sony made the developer make it less realistic ?!?) and it is too easy.

But I'm sure CMR3 will be criticized as well because it sounds like only the Focus WRC will be available in CMR3 (the driver has a 3 year contract in the game). I hope that's only in the Championship mode. In the arcade and time trials, you should be able to drive any car in the game. So far, the screen shots on snow looks real good!

i have been screaming my lungs out aking around about w.r.c. in the u.s and nobody had given me a definite response, i have been tracking this game since it was first mentioned, about a year ago.
man you don't know what rallying means to me it is my life.
over here a s s car :mad: is popular, you know drivers have good muscular strong left arms, and theire necks are stiff on one side, the left side that is :D :D .
the only time i watched a s s car :mad: was when they drove on a reall track you know the ones that the rest of reall drivers race on, it was hillarious, man none of the top drivers in that stupid series finished the race, it was a hell of a humilation.
but what i hate most is the stupid comments i get over my cap, i have a ford racing cap it's a nice one, and i added on the side of it the spanosh flag and the name c.sainz, and when people see it over here they go:" there is no driver called saiiinz in a s s car" :mad:
those morons think that there is no motorsport in the world exept
a s s - f u c k i n g - c a r :mad: :mad:
aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh somebody put me out of my misery!! ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ

I bought WRC a couple of weeks ago.

The graphics are beatiful and the cars look damn real, but.......

The game is far to easy, and it just hasn't got the rally feeling as Colin Mcrae 2.

I think WRC 2 can do much better than part 1.

Latest Posts

Back