WRC Modern Classics Season 2001! Rally Argentina

Had a few silly moments, like hitting a signpost at the start of stage 3 knackering the radiator but I enjoyed that rally, love the difference between dry and icy. Tested all 5 cars beforehand but went with the Scooby, Peugeot was a bit too nervous probably due the shorter wheelbase. Almost took the Seat.
Here's a few shots
01dfc9cb-c34f-4bca-8b7f-c86e76c7c0f5~2.png
35550072-8959-4aec-92f5-e63db4adda70~2.png
22de1a43-6112-46a7-8c49-15cc4d780e2b~2.png
e5597524-8c7b-44ab-82c7-e069bb0fe148~2.png
ad160b31-e3cb-4240-8db1-a41ecd962a3c~2.png
e9a3b08f-ef1a-4730-b15d-e72f3e4e77ab~2.png

Attachments

• 01dfc9cb-c34f-4bca-8b7f-c86e76c7c0f5~2.png
    01dfc9cb-c34f-4bca-8b7f-c86e76c7c0f5~2.png
    283.4 KB · Views: 4
Well, my game took a dump mid stage one and i got a dnf for monte. A little upset by it but also it is on brand for me at mote carlo. No matter how much i try to like it i never do well and generally just don't get along with it.

I choose the Mitsubishi and felt like my run was going fairly well, but whatever, on to the next event. It's a long season and things will go better next time

Last edited:
Just noticed we started this new season. I inadvertently picked the other impreza without looking on here 1st, will it let me change before starting the rally.
I did a shakedown but not started the actual rally yet. Thought I best check on here fir any regulations

Just noticed we started this new season. I inadvertently picked the other impreza without looking on here 1st, will it let me change before starting the rally.
I did a shakedown but not started the actual rally yet. Thought I best check on here fir any regulations
It won't let you change no. As with 1995 I'll allow some room for error in round 1, but any points scored will be erased in my official standings.

Ended up going for the 206, I think the short wheel base makes it feel particularly nimble at times. Even if that does mean it's a touch twitchy.

That said, took a somewhat unnecessary gamble on SS5 with tyres...I'm pretty certain would have paid off if I hadn't stacked it into the crowd and received a 27 second penalty 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ Enjoyed my battle with @Belgianwaffle though!

Will share some photos once I get a chance to download them. Great to have the first round completed, can't wait for Sweden too - always a favourite of mine.

I might already enter this round for my part-time schedule :D I might gonna do Round 7 of the GTPRC and this one back to back during the weekend :mischievous:

Let's see how much I can resist the possible urge to ragequit (Spoiler:I HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE Hardcore damages :grumpy:)

Last edited:
I did a quick test on a short monte stage and I have to say my original thought of going with the Focus '01 doesn't thrill me or fill me with confidence. I found the rear very loose and it wasn't nice to drive in my opinion at all. Given it's such a long series and I don't want to be stuck with a car I'd rather not drive I think I'll be choosing something else.

I did a quick test on a short monte stage and I have to say my original thought of going with the Focus '01 doesn't thrill me or fill me with confidence. I found the rear very loose and it wasn't nice to drive in my opinion at all. Given it's such a long series and I don't want to be stuck with a car I'd rather not drive I think I'll be choosing something else.
I have the opposite problem with the Evo, been doing a couple test runs on different surfaces and I found it has a bit too much latent understeer with its default setups for my liking... at least in comparison to the Impreza, but as there's at least half a dozen of those fielded already I'm obliged to pick something else. :lol:

I did end up giving the Focus a go just now, it's certainly given me food for thought between using that or the Evo (with associated crash course in DIY tuning).

I have the opposite problem with the Evo, been doing a couple test runs on different surfaces and I found it has a bit too much latent understeer with its default setups for my liking... at least in comparison to the Impreza, but as there's at least half a dozen of those fielded already I'm obliged to pick something else. :lol:

I did end up giving the Focus a go just now, it's certainly given me food for thought between using that or the Evo (with associated crash course in DIY tuning).
I find with the Evo just adding a bit of rear brake bias helps it out a lot.

I find with the Evo just adding a bit of rear brake bias helps it out a lot.
For me at least it's not so much under braking that I have an issue, more that the mid-corner rotation isn't quite there (at least in comparison to the Impreza + Focus, haven't tried the other 2). It's especially noticeable on tarmac, it just can't carry as much speed as the other 2 through high-speed turns without tweaking the visc diff e.t.c.

Well, that didn't go well, a 30-sec penalty and a slow drive saw me dead last in stage one, the game then crashed in stage 2 and wiped me off the leader board. It did let me start stage 3, but then I fell off a mountain and killed the car.

I had better days.

I also enjoyed the battle with you too @Speedster502 ... I watched the analysis and saw your crash and the twitchy-Ness of the peugeot. I tested the focus, but it also felt too nervous for me. So I picked the Subaru, since I know these cars the best. Happy with the result so far, second behind last seasons champion

I also enjoyed the battle with you too @Speedster502 ... I watched the analysis and saw your crash and the twitchy-Ness of the peugeot. I tested the focus, but it also felt too nervous for me. So I picked the Subaru, since I know these cars the best. Happy with the result so far, second behind last seasons champion
Bizarrely I quite like the twitchy-ness, but maybe this comes from a season of driving the understeer-prone Cosworth :lol:

I decided to stick with the Focus as it seems one of - if not the least popular car so I didn't want to leave it with little to no representation. It served me well. Other than poor stages on SS2 and SS6 on my end that caused considerable damage it was an enjoyable rally. It is a bit snappy on Tarmac but it will be more forgiving on loose surfaces I feel.

Impressive looking run you're on at the moment @Dreadmed 👍

Last edited:
Decided to keep faith with Mitsubishi after a bit of soul-searching, it seems to be a good choice so far! 😀

I managed to keep it clean and tidy (with a couple very close shaves!) right up until the icy section of the Turini. I decided to add a bit more neg-camber for that run but it kinda backfired, the tyres would randomly bite when I would expect a slide (and vice-versa) so I ended up bouncing off the wall/barrier a few times:

20240312213001_1.jpg

20240313195116_1.jpg

20240313195450_1.jpg

I'm thinking of recording + uploading 1 stage from each rally, with this one being the aforementioned run up the Col de Turini... I'll see how it looks when it processes, it wasn't the prettiest stage (in more ways than one).

Looking forward to the battles ahead, just need to stop yeeting myself off cliffs every other rally. 😅

Back