WS-37397-9 IP address being blocked

DaveTheStalker

Vinyl Addict
Premium
United States
Michigan
DaveTheStalker
My PSN-ID is NOT banned. I can get on using my phone as a Wi-Fi Hot Spot. I can also get onto the PS App and PlayStation website using cellular access.

Last night I was trying to log into an account I haven’t used in like 5 yrs, Too many attempts, and boom PS4 couldn’t access the network. I fired up my PS3 that had the account on it, and the PS3 couldn’t sign in under any accounts.

Called SONY, the supervisor from Venezuela couldn’t transfer me to the US, she couldn’t even transfer me to tier 2 support. She couldn’t even see my IP address or tell me specifically why it’s being blocked. I got the same spiel from her that I got from the first CSR, that there must be some “malicious activity on a device on my network”. Well, I told her “we don’t have any PCs to do a virus scan on and I know exactly when and why it happened”. A normal company will lock your account for too many password attempts and make you call to verify the activity, then they’ll unlock it and send a link to reset the password.

She insisted I call my ISP and have THEM fix it and issue a new IP addeess. Well, I’m not on a static IP and they can’t just give me a new address for my router (DSL gateway). They did a reboot, didn’t help. I unplugged it for an hour and a half, that didn’t help. I got into the system stettings and found the PS4 and assigned it a new [device] IP address. They didn’t work. I even “reset” all of the devices on the network, giving it another new IP address, that didn’t work. Resetting them would assign each device a new IP address as they come online.

So, I don’t know what to do now. I’ll call SONY again tomorrow and ask for someone in the US.

One good thing happened out of this. There is a higher speed available in my area. The install of NEW EQUIPMENT will be Monday. I know that will change the IP address of my whole system. If anything, THAT will fix it.

If anyone has suggestions, I’m willing to try things. I read that by unplugging your router (gateway), a new IP address will be assigned. I don’t know if that’s the same thing as me manually assigning it or even the reset assigning a new IP address.

Weirdly this happened to me yesterday. And I'm on a static IP. I still have no access to PSN on this connection which is my primary connection, luckily my backup has no such issues. Anyway this is not the first time its happened on this provider. An entire pool of IPs are banned by PSN and I had this issue about 4-5 times a week while on a dynamic IP, which prompted me to ask the ISP for a static one. I've had no issues for about 8 months but now I've had to ask them to assign a new static one.

It's probably nothing you've done. You could have just been assigned an IP that had previously been flagged by Sony.

Secondly since ytou indicated you're not on a static IP in most cases the IP lease expires after about 24 hours and you should get a new IP. Another quick way to force a new IP is by cloning/changing the MAC. This worked 100% for me when on Dynamic IP in the past.

Changing your local IP address won't make any difference at all.
If the IP is similar to 192.168.x.x then it is only used on your LAN (ie. inside your house to the router/modem).
Google "what is my IP" and it will tell show you your public IP seen on the net.
The fact you can get on via your phone suggests the problem is linked to your home IP somehow.
Could you take your PS4 to someone else's house and try it on their connection just to confirm it works elsewhere?

Easier way would be to change the router/gateway Mac which will force a new internet facing IP from the ISP.

Also as he did indicate that he was able to use his phone as a hotspot to connect fine and it worked so he's already confirmed it's only a problem with the IP that the ISP assigned. Going to someone else's house is a redundant measure imo

Something mysterious happened to the gateway after a couple more attempts and suddenly I had no internet service. Sooo, they sent out a tech yesterday with a new gateway. All is well....for now. This is happening to a lot of people right now. SONY support on the phone (Venezuela CSRs) was useless. They never responded to my email either.

The ISPs don’t have an infinite amount of addresses either. And no, there was nothing my tech support could do to fix it, except tell me what I had already found. The gateway suddenly have “no service” was perfect timing.

Something similar happen to me recently, couldn't access PSN via my home network but could using my phone/mobile hotspot. Tried contacting support but couldn't reach any official sources due to Barbados not being an officially supported country. Direct messaged @AskPlayStation and got no response.

Situation lasted about 4 or 5 days before it just start working again, plus I couldn't do anything about Wi-Fi because it's in the landlord's apartment

Anyway took about 2 days and then voila it was working fine again. I checked and can confirm I still have the same static IP. Contacted the ISP and asked them not to assign a new IP as the old one seemed to be now working.

Back