WTC races and 10x fuel - am I missing something?

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 21 comments

seadog777

Premium
Malaysia
Iskandar
seadog777
So now Monza is an option I tried the WTC 800 (it's the only race so far).
Was doing OK in the Porsche Living Legend until the end of lap 1 when the fuel warning came on!
Basically I had to pit and when the tank was full I had 2.2 laps at cruising speed......
Dropped down to 20th and had to stop every 2 laps..... I don't think the AI did.

Is there a setting somewhere that I've missed? Any and all help appreciated!

I don't have that car, but my guess is the car consumes more fuel faster.

I tried the Veyron last night and I ran out of fuel in the first lap. :lol:

I don't know if it's the tank size or fuel consumption (or both), but yeah, each car is different.

Certain events have deliberately accelerated tyre wear and fuel consumption. It’s a way of making those things a strategy point of a race that’s only 10 laps in length.

My method was to use the leanest fuel map, which meant I could pit just once per race. Tyre choice for me depended on how technical the circuit was.

I used the Zonda R. Very capable car, easily as fast as the AI cars in the corners and leaves everything for dead on the straights. I found the outright power of the car combined with sensible strategy and clean lines made the 800s pretty simple.

Thanks!
I thought I'd set something up wrongly!

Anyway, when I did pit in, it cut to the pit crew as soon as I entered the lane, and stayed there for almost 30 seconds before my car pulled up! Should I have pressed a button? It was the same on another race too..... the only thing to press was "Don't change" for the tyres, which I did once but it didn't make it any faster.

Last edited:
Thanks!

Anyway, when I did pit in, it cut to the pit crew as soon as I entered the lane, and stayed there for almost 30 seconds before my car pulled up! Should I have pressed a button? It was the same on another race too..... the only thing to press was "Don't change" for the tyres, which I did once but it didn't make it any faster.
That particular car has ridiculous fuel consumption. Its like double the level of cars of a similar spec

Thanks!

The long pit entry times are normal, so don't worry. You're not doing anything wrong.

For a long time in GT Sport it would only take a few seconds to arrive at the pit box after entering the pit lane, but that was changed to be much longer in one of the later patches and then kept in GT7. My impression was that Polyphony did it partially to be more realistic (although the pit entry times on some tracks are a tad too long IMO) and partially for balance reasons. The very short stops often meant that the harder tyre compounds had no strategic use. It was usually considerably faster to just keep spamming pit stops and having short stints on the softest compound than having a long stint on one of the harder compounds.

The cars that are meant for touring are generally much better on fuel. I did the WTC 800 events with an Aston Martin DBR9 with a supercharger slapped on and it was a superb drive for all of the events except the rainy track in Japan. Only ever needed 1, sometimes 2 pit stops for all the events.

The AI cars have some strange pit stop mechanics. I've seen them not make their first pit stop until lap 6 and then still stop a second time after the 9th lap. I'm also 90% certain that I saw one not make any pit stops for the entire race once.

The game will also give you the alert saying you should make a pit stop if you're finishing your final lap and are close to not having enough fuel to do another complete lap that you won't have to do.

Adjusting your gear ratios has a huge effect on fuel use. I used the Lambo VGT to beat the 800pp races.

Last edited:
Limit your power all the way to 6 and shift at around 4500 rpm, you will need to refuel only once

Last edited:
The long pit entry times are normal, so don't worry. You're not doing anything wrong.

For a long time in GT Sport it would only take a few seconds to arrive at the pit box after entering the pit lane, but that was changed to be much longer in one of the later patches and then kept in GT7. My impression was that Polyphony did it partially to be more realistic (although the pit entry times on some tracks are a tad too long IMO) and partially for balance reasons. The very short stops often meant that the harder tyre compounds had no strategic use. It was usually considerably faster to just keep spamming pit stops and having short stints on the softest compound than having a long stint on one of the harder compounds.
They could just move to real live pit stops, instead of cut scenes. Then pit lengths would last as long as they do in real life then.

I thought it was a bug when I watched a Le Mans race the other day, the guy pitted and when the cut scene kicked in he was practically already in the pit lane, just a short few metres. It was then a good 30 seconds before he arrived in his box when it should have taken about 5 seconds. I thought the aliens had abducted the car or something.

Then when he finished, the car just teleported to the end of the pit stop.

Thanks all for your help.
I just tried Living Legend at LeMans - 1.2 laps per tank, even at most economical fuel setting! I pitted after 1 lap, dropped down to position 20 and was over a minute behind when I came out of the pits! Obviously not going to win that one in that car.
I tried another 10-lapper with the GTR - 17 Nismo, again, two laps per tank - 🤨

While you can definitely win these races with a buffed gr3, fuel saving on a one stop, I was able to make the Daytona race a doddle by using the 08 gr2 honda Epson NSX - hard tyres are enough to get it below 800pp, and it's monstrously efficient and can no stop the race if you fuel save. Gr3 may be faster than you on straights but the gr2 brakes and cornering are monstrously OP and they shouldn't be able to overcome having to pit, allowing you to win without needing to push super hard.

I just managed 3rd at LeMans 5 lapper (would have been second but I made a daft error of speed at one of the last corners and pranged it ..... luckily 4th was a long way behind so I recovered to get third!). I used the Mazda Stealth (after seeing good reports about the car in this forum) and one stop at the end of second lap. Had to go to lean 6 to be sure of getting to the end of the race!
An interesting twist to these races, for sure!

Last edited:
Yeah again try playing with your final gear ratio in your transmission. Really crank it left or right and see how your fuel economy is effected. Also increasing ride height is an easy way to lower your PP so you don't have to add as much ballast or lower your engine performance too much.

Yeah again try playing with your final gear ratio in your transmission. Really crank it left or right and see how your fuel economy is effected. Also increasing ride height is an easy way to lower your PP so you don't have to add as much ballast or lower your engine performance too much.
Thanks, I'll give those ideas a try. More of a challenge than I thought they'd be - it's great! 😀

Did anyone beat the WTC800 race at Monza? If so what car and difficulty was it? I've been able to beat the AI at all the WTC 800 races up til now but that stupid F. Portilla guy starts with like a 25 second lead, and there's no catching him on Monza, due to all the straights it has. They made him SUPER fast at straights and abnormally difficult to catch at this track. I even tried a de-tuned F1500-TA and still couldn't catch him lol. Any tips?

The easiest race to win is the Group 3 one at Dragon Trail Seaside Reverse. The AI suck there. I won by 38 seconds in the RX-Vision Group 3, pitting once for medium tyres and fuel. I started on the medium tyre. I don't know how to win the race at Monza; it really does seem impossible. My best result is third about 20 seconds behind the lead Viper, again in the RX-Vision Group 3. I might use the same strategy as I did for Dragon Trail Seaside Reverse today because the medium tyre provides a decent amount of grip without a crazy drop off in performance.

Back