• 8 comments

Blake

Premium
Australia
NSW, Australia
haswell00
Weekly Track Design Competition
Week 2

Given the recent success of the Turkish GP, this week the challenge is to edit the track itself, Istanbul Park.

pandik_map.gif

The challenge
[+] Edit the Istanbul Park circuit
[+] The track must still be recognisable as Istanbul Park in some way.

Rules
[+] You must give credit for using anyone elses textures etc.
[+] The design itself must be your own work
[+] Please put FINAL ENTRY at the top of your completed work, so there is no confusion when I put up the poll
[+] If your image is larger than 500x500 pixels, please use a thumbnail (no bigger than 500x500) to link to the full sized image
[+] You can post pictures of your unfinished works if you wish
[+] Any imaging editing software may be used, as well as hand drawings
[+] You may provide a short description of the track. Things you may include are:
--Track length
--Description of any standout features of the track
--Description of a lap of the track
--Anything else you feel would add to the design​
Competition ends Tuesday September 6, 2005

Blake

a preview of what ive got so far, just a general track layout, havnt put in details yet, most of its jsut tinkering around nothing concrete yet, only parts I'm definite on is the added 5th appex to what was origonaly turn 8 and the fast run into the final corner

Ok, I've got my layout worked out. Not sure what I'm going to do design wise, but I'm pretty happy with the layout atm.

Blake

FINAL ENTRY

I've straightened out the section from turn 2 to turn 3, then made the next section faster by straightening the kink quite a bit. A new bridge now takes drivers around the 4 apex corner the opposite way before diving back under the bridge and rejoining the old back straight.

I've now added a large combo section between the two back straights. This will lower top speeds here, but the new bridge section earlier added some length to that straight so not much speed should be lost overall. I've also chucked out the last hairpin to make for a faster finish.

I've kept the old turn 8 and the start/finish staright untouched, as well as keep the same general shape. Also staying are the two infield 'short track' sections (in grey) although they have been realigned to the new track around them.

Feel free to comment :)

Nice, I dunno about going around 'turn 8' backwards, I don't think it would be possible to take full speed, but generally I like the design 👍

Blake

Blake
Nice, I dunno about going around 'turn 8' backwards, I don't think it would be possible to take full speed, but generally I like the design 👍

Blake
Turn 8 backwards means having to slow down gradually around the complex rather than power around it like they currently do. A better balanced setup will be needed to control the car under braking as they reach the middle 2 apexes. Cars can still power out of the last apex.

I don't think I'll have any more time to give to this at the moment so I've made my entry final.

somebody
Turn 8 backwards means having to slow down gradually around the complex rather than power around it like they currently do. A better balanced setup will be needed to control the car under braking as they reach the middle 2 apexes. Cars can still power out of the last apex.

I was going to say that myself, i think its a very interesting idea, I added a 5th apex, but with enough distance from the previous and just a bit tighter, a slight stab on the brakes could possibly be required.

I haven't had much time this week so this is all I could come up with.

FINAL ENTRY

Poll will be up in half an hour or so, so if anyone wants to put in a last minute entry they'd better hurry :D

Blake

Back