Wurz standing in for Montoya in Imola

• Thread starter Jacks
  • 24 comments
Jack599
Quote: "McLaren Mercedes announced earlier today that Alex Wurz will stand in for the injured Juan Pablo Montoya this coming weekend at San Marino. For Wurz, it has been a long wait to get back behind the wheel of a Formula One car for a Grand Prix weekend"

Just thought i'd let you all know if you didn't already 👍

Jacks
Quote: "McLaren Mercedes announced earlier today that Alex Wurz will stand in for the injured Juan Pablo Montoya this coming weekend at San Marino. For Wurz, it has been a long wait to get back behind the wheel of a Formula One car for a Grand Prix weekend"

Just thought i'd let you all know if you didn't already 👍

Why didn't they keep de la Rosa ? he did a great job at Bahrain ?

Wurz is a better driver than Pedro. I can't remember the last time he raced though, I'm pretty sure it was in Malaysia 2000....

I think he's a better driver than most people think, I can't wait to see what he can do at Imola! :D

Blake

Wurz deserves a chance...if he could have fit in the car he would have driven in Bahrain...
Who do you think was driving the 3rd MP4-20 during Friday practice? :dunce:

Blake

Great news (for me!), i was unsure who to use as my third driver in Fantasy F1. I only have 1m to spend. PDL is 1m, but i was unsure if JPM would be back or not. I can only change my driver once for every GP. Then i thought Liuzzi as he will be replacing klien. But if Wurz is 1m, he will be my choice. *goes to look* :D

*edit*

Noooo! I can only change drivers once PER SEASON! So i am stuck with Pedro for the remainder. I really should have read the rules properly :(. I am also stuck with Alonso (but i don't mind!), and Trulli i could change if i wanted to. But i dont!

I don't get your logic gentlemen.
If I had too choose between a driver who was very good in a real race that happened less than 3 weeks ago ( Pedro ) vs. a driver who raced ... 5 years ago ( Alexander ) my choice is obvious.
Look at Villeneuve, he's been out of racing for just about 1 year and see the results he gets.
How about ...Mika Hakkinen :)

Biased turkey
If I had too choose between a driver who was very good in a real race that happened less than 3 weeks ago ( Pedro ) vs. a driver who raced ... 5 years ago ( Alexander ) my choice is obvious.
Look at Villeneuve, he's been out of racing for just about 1 year and see the results he gets.

Wurz has been hungry to race for a few years now, more so in the past year. I think McLaren are giving him the chance as a small payback for all his years of loyal service to the team.

BTW - You forget McLaren wanted to race Wurz in Bahrain but he didn't fit in the car so they had no choice to go with de la Rosa. At the last moment they got a car for Wurz but by then it was untested and too late.

No doubt de la Rosa did well but I'd love to see Wurz do better.

I'd rather see JPM driving but tennis is dangerous!

kensei
Wurz has been hungry to race for a few years now...
I'd rather see JPM driving but tennis is dangerous!

If he was so "hungry to race" he would have accepted any seat even for some smaller team, he would even have switched serie: DTM, Champcar, BTCC, JGTC, whatever.
About JPM, he can be sidelined for the whole season and I won't miss him at all . He is in the same category as Villeneuve.

Biased turkey
If he was so "hungry to race" he would have accepted any seat even for some smaller team, he would even have switched serie: DTM, Champcar, BTCC, JGTC, whatever.
About JPM, he can be sidelined for the whole season and I won't miss him at all . He is in the same category as Villeneuve.

Wurz has a good deal going with McLaren. I've read alot about him and his realtionship with McLaren lately and I gotta say I am impressed with him. Personally I'd rather have a test seat with McLaren than being a moving chicane with backend team. Alex is hungry to race but not stupid to drop what he has.

And to go to another series. Please....come on. Ok, DTM is fine. But champ car (hahahahahahahaha, come on the series is a friggin joke), JGTC (hahahahahahaah), BTCC (just a little haha). Frankly after F1 your only real interesting race seat is in a LMP car. Though I'd look at the Porsche Supercup if I was in the position.

JPM is in the same category as JV? Sure they both reside in North America but that is where it stops. I'm not going to bash JV again (it is really so easy) but JPM is a wonderful driver. I miss him on the grid and can't wait until he is back. Next to Trulli and Kimi my thrid fav. driver is JPM afterall!

Blake
Who do you think was driving the 3rd MP4-20 during Friday practice? :dunce:

Blake

kensei
BTW - You forget McLaren wanted to race Wurz in Bahrain but he didn't fit in the car so they had no choice to go with de la Rosa. At the last moment they got a car for Wurz but by then it was untested and too late.

💡

kensei
Wurz has a good deal going with McLaren. I've read alot about him and his realtionship with McLaren lately and I gotta say I am impressed with him. Personally I'd rather have a test seat with McLaren than being a moving chicane with backend team. Alex is hungry to race but not stupid to drop what he has.

And to go to another series. Please....come on. Ok, DTM is fine. But champ car (hahahahahahahaha, come on the series is a friggin joke), JGTC (hahahahahahaah), BTCC (just a little haha). Frankly after F1 your only real interesting race seat is in a LMP car. Though I'd look at the Porsche Supercup if I was in the position.

JPM is in the same category as JV? Sure they both reside in North America but that is where it stops. I'm not going to bash JV again (it is really so easy) but JPM is a wonderful driver. I miss him on the grid and can't wait until he is back. Next to Trulli and Kimi my thrid fav. driver is JPM afterall!

👍

i dont see how everyone can say that De La Rosa did so well, he had a very fast car, & took unitl the race to get attuned to it, qualifying poorly, then he squandered repeated passing opputunities by repeatadly out braking himself & running off the track, lost himself alot of time, he would have been gobbling up Webber so much earlier in the race when tyres were still good giving him more ability to make a pass, & the only reason Webber held him so long becuase he kept trying to pass at the wrong moments.

[FPV]Rusty
i dont see how everyone can say that De La Rosa did so well, he had a very fast car, & took unitl the race to get attuned to it, qualifying poorly, then he squandered repeated passing opputunities by repeatadly out braking himself & running off the track, lost himself alot of time, he would have been gobbling up Webber so much earlier in the race when tyres were still good giving him more ability to make a pass, & the only reason Webber held him so long becuase he kept trying to pass at the wrong moments.

Maybe so, but he was many people's driver of the race in bahrain, he was very exciting to watch, although a little mad at some points he never endangered other drivers. I prefer to see either wurz or de la rosa in a mclaren then JPM (just not a fan).

Biased turkey

There is one difference between Wurz and Villeneuve.
Wurz had tested the McLaren car all year,and Villeneuve just did some GP`s.Wurz made much more miles than Villeneuve did last year.

I really hope Wurz will be just a lightning as Pedro in the race.It looks great to see a driver from past times to drive the best race of all the drivers.Just watch Pedro closing in on the others,making mistakes and later on he fights again.It`s something F1 needs.

MJW
There is one difference between Wurz and Villeneuve.
Wurz had tested the McLaren car all year,and Villeneuve just did some GP`s.Wurz made much more miles than Villeneuve did last year.

I really hope Wurz will be just a lightning as Pedro in the race.It looks great to see a driver from past times to drive the best race of all the drivers.Just watch Pedro closing in on the others,making mistakes and later on he fights again.It`s something F1 needs.

Just checking the friday 2nd practice now, and guess what ....?
de la Rosa has the best time 1:20.484 :)

Jacks
Maybe so, but he was many people's driver of the race in bahrain, he was very exciting to watch, although a little mad at some points he never endangered other drivers. I prefer to see either wurz or de la rosa in a mclaren then JPM (just not a fan).

id agree that he was exciting, but look at this from Mclarens point of view, they need the best possible results, not some excited fans at the expense of them, they need a driver that can be aggressive and not make mistakes, although with more time in races if he gets any more chances De La Rosa may jsut be the man for hte job.

Biased turkey
Just checking the friday 2nd practice now, and guess what ....?
de la Rosa has the best time 1:20.484 :)

Just saw the latest lap times of both of the training sessions,and guess what....?
Klien was faster than Liuzzi in both of the sessions.Wasn`t Liuzzi the replacement for Klien?
Looks like friday testdrivers are mostly faster than the race drivers... :)

MJW
Looks like friday testdrivers are mostly faster than the race drivers... :)

Friday testers are always faster, as they should be. They are not limited by race spec, engine wear, tire restritions, aero restrictions, fuel restrictions, etc etc. They are test drivers and should be setting the pace in the right car.

kensei
Friday testers are always faster, as they should be. They are limited by race spec, engine wear, tire restritions, aero restrictions, fuel restrictions, etc etc. They are test drivers and should be setting the pace in the right car.

And that explains why Pedro was faster than Kimi and Wurz.

Thank you for the explaination.
:) 👍

I reckon Wurz did real well in Imola. Alright he hadn't raced since 2k, but even if KR hadn't retired ( :mad: ) he would've still come 5th with no bad mistakes and a good qually; not bad for a redebut!

U2fanman
I reckon Wurz did real well in Imola. Alright he hadn't raced since 2k, but even if KR hadn't retired ( :mad: ) he would've still come 5th with no bad mistakes and a good qually; not bad for a redebut!

I fully agree!

yes he definately drove a good race...i would have liked to have seen him dice with button but he couldnt catch him...

And with this Button underweight thing he may officially finish 3rd 👍, which is frieking excellent!

Blake

Back