Xbox One power question

Hi,

Pardon moi, I know I'm posting this in the wrong section but I couldn't find the xbox one thread even after using the search function, as my question specifically pertains to the console and not any game:

I understand it is important to not use any power strips/extension strips or voltage regulators/surge protectors with the console and plug the brick directly into the wall.

My question revolves around the hard reset/full shutdown process which requires unplugging the brick from the wall so that it can loose the amber light too and go completely OFF.

However, in Asia we do not have the same wall outlets; i.e. there's an accompanying flip-switch we can use to cut power to the outlet. Now, if I'm "flipping" the power off and the brick looses the amber light, there's no reason to remove the cord from the outlet, is there? I mean it's off and has gone through a full reset, correct? *no light on the brick*

Hi,

Pardon moi, I know I'm posting this in the wrong section but I couldn't find the xbox one thread even after using the search function, as my question specifically pertains to the console and not any game:

I understand it is important to not use any power strips/extension strips or voltage regulators/surge protectors with the console and plug the brick directly into the wall.

My question revolves around the hard reset/full shutdown process which requires unplugging the brick from the wall so that it can loose the amber light too and go completely OFF.

However, in Asia we do not have the same wall outlets; i.e. there's an accompanying flip-switch we can use to cut power to the outlet. Now, if I'm "flipping" the power off and the brick looses the amber light, there's no reason to remove the cord from the outlet, is there? I mean it's off and has gone through a full reset, correct? *no light on the brick*

Yep, flicking the switch on the socket cuts all power so is the same as unplugging the console.

Yep, flicking the switch on the socket cuts all power so is the same as unplugging the console.

Exactly - that's what I was getting at. It says in the manual (and forums) to unplug power cord after a hard reset cos' in Europe and the US, for example, you only have outlets, no switches. So the only way to cut power is by unplugging whatever you have connected.

Relieved I won't have to plug/unplug it every time, as getting it in is a real chore. It's one of those outlets with some kind of gate to prevent toddlers and children from messing around, I imagine. Fits in with a click as you bypass the gate, but sometimes takes a bit of wrestling. Broke one of my outlets once!

We have the same type of plugs in the UK to cut power without unplugging. I also have my PS4 on power strip with the television and never had any problems.

That is because it doesn't matter how a PS4 is plugged in. It doesn't have the completely remove power requirement of an Xbox1 on this hard reset/full shutdown process.

To fix localized Xbox One Xbox Live sign-in problems or games not starting (aka games hanging on the title screen), perform a full reboot of your system, also known as a powercycle, cold restart or hard reset. To perform a hard restart, hold the power button for 10 seconds while the system is on.

We have the same type of plugs in the UK to cut power without unplugging. I also have my PS4 on power strip with the television and never had any problems.

That is because it doesn't matter how a PS4 is plugged in. It doesn't have the completely remove power requirement of an Xbox1 on this hard reset/full shutdown process.

The PS4 does not have a built-in surge protector in the brick/power supply, if I'm not mistaken. But as for the X1, it specifically says you must have it going straight to the wall for "optimal performance". No "in betweens" like power strips or vol. regulators. I'm sure MS has a good reason for this.

The PS4 does not have a built-in surge protector in the brick/power supply, if I'm not mistaken. But as for the X1, it specifically says you must have it going straight to the wall for "optimal performance". No "in betweens" like power strips or vol. regulators. I'm sure MS has a good reason for this.

No the PS4 doesn't, but mine is plugging into a 4-way surge protected power strip which has its own power switch. As for Microsoft instruction, that's because the 4-way strip usually doesn't have a power switch and if it needs complete power removal then that's why you're advised by them to do that.

Back