Xbox one s or PS4

• Thread starter billyJoe
  • 13 comments
United Kingdom
manchester
Hi guys

General question looking for feedback from you, lucky to be in the position of choosing either a Xbox one or PS4, at the moment I'm wavering toward an Xbox because of forza 7 as GTS seems to have a weaker initial car/tracklist, I mainly race offline against a.i or time trials against the clock which game will give me all track and car options to do this from the get go or do I need to collect a trillion amount to unlock? Cheers in advance

While I absolutely despise Turn 10's DLC model, as it is both greedy and anti consumer down to its very roots, I don't think there's any denying that it is a better game than GT Sport will be. The car list is much bigger, the developer is more competent, and the game features things you'd expect from modern day race sims, such as dynamic weather. Gran Turismo has become the joke of the industry, seemingly moving backwards rather than forwards. The only company within the race sim market that is worse is Slightly Mad Studios.

If those two games are the only deciding factor when choosing between the two consoles, I'd say go with XBOX, despite not owning one myself. If you're interested in games in general, I'd say go with the PS4, as it has, in my opinion, a far superior collection of exclusives.

@billyJoe Depends what you want out of a racing game, GT Sport is going down a very different route to Forza, it's more E sports and online focused whereas Forza is almost traditional by comparison. Forza is still about car collecting, career mode and customisation whereas GTS could borderline be an online only game which will take a while to become a fully fledged game through DLC and updates.

Also the Xbox One S has a UHD player if that's something you might benefit from.

Should also look at the list of games too.
If you are only going after FM or GTS.
I would assume there will be other games that you play too.

Which ever ones you see that are either Xbox exclusive or PS4 exclusive then go around those too.

PS4 I find quicker to load and install stuff and has better UI and I prefer the controller over the Xbox One S one and the selection of games. Also like that it records last 15 minutes of gameplay locally vs 5 minutes on the Xbox One S which is uploaded to the Internet and then you can download from there instead of being able to copy straight to a USB drive. Also games tend to run better on PS4 so with Xbox One S, if you get other racing games like pCARS 2, Assetto Corsa, F1 2017 then you will likely get lower frame rates. It however can play back 4K Blu-ray movies and Xbox 360 games which is a plus.

Have you played a Forza game before, if not then I recommend you try and at least give Forza 7 an attempt if possible before choosing to down that route and see if you get on with the handling. I asked my brother to give the demo a go and his impression afterwards was he wouldn't play it even if someone pays him unless for a large amount. :lol: I found the handling terrible myself and I don't seem to be alone reading some of the reviews.

I got to try out the GT SPORT closed Beta, I found has the best controller implementation of any racing simulation game and the cars handle well too. Don't know how the AI is or what kind of leaderboards there will be but should find that out soon, career mode seems barebones. Doesn't look like it will be that hard to get all the cars. Quality of cars and tracks are really good from what I tried in the Beta. Load times seem a lot shorter than Forza too. I don't know how the leaderboards or AI is in Forza 7 but impression I've got from a brief look on the forums is that is worse than the previous Forza games, they might make more U-turns with that game for the better.

General question looking for feedback from you, lucky to be in the position of choosing either a Xbox one or PS4, at the moment I'm wavering toward an Xbox because of forza 7 as GTS seems to have a weaker initial car/tracklist, I mainly race offline against a.i or time trials against the clock which game will give me all track and car options to do this from the get go or do I need to collect a trillion amount to unlock? Cheers in advance

I'd say go for PS4, but not GT Sport. I'd recommend Driveclub as it's had years of patches & runs 99.9% without issues. It has lots of TT's & A.I events, & is a lot of fun. It's on sale at the moment too, for a very low price. I'd then recommend getting Assetto Corsa when it goes on sale in the PS Store. By the time you're done with them two games, GT Sport will be in the sale & will probably have loads more content added for free as well. And by the time you're done with that, P CARS 2 will be in the sale & they might have even fixed all the game breaking bugs by then if you're lucky! Buying games on day one just isn't sensible or cost effective anymore imho. Think laterally, buy clever.

To be honest, my gaming concentration has turned mostly to the independent/indie scene, and mostly towards Android. Something about this generation of gaming has mostly turned me away from most modern consoles. Having said this, though, I would lean more towards the PlayStation 4. Just my preference...

Anymore feedback from Xbox one owners that play forza 7?

I have a standard Xbox One (1TB w/ External Hard Drive) and Forza 7 runs extremely smoothly, you won't be disappointed in terms of visuals. Admittedly, third party titles have their issues on my console, but given the S has a slightly enhanced GPU, it should offer the same stability a standard PS4 can for the most part.

Hi guys

If all you're looking for between the two platforms is an offline-oriented experience with a lot of car/track combos right off the bat, I'd lean towards FM7 for the sheer numbers. You can rent cars and use them in Free Play: you won't be able to customize them, but you can drive 'em. But, there's a big caveat: we're currently unsure exactly how much of Sport's lineup will be available offline.

There's also the wild card of PCARS2, which is available on either.

Is the question this simple, though? I ask because if you're getting a console, there's a lot of other games in other genres out there. I have both, but in terms of non-racing games, my PS4 gets a lot more of a workout. The XB1 is the racing option for me — the only other game on its hard drive right now that isn't about racing is Cuphead!

Your just the chap with both, so how about sports games in general NHL 18, madden 18, NBA 2k18 have you tried on both?

Back