Xbox One X random black screen for a second at a time.

• Thread starter RikkiGT-R
  • 3 comments

RikkiGT-R

GT: IamValhalla
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Rikki_GTR
IamValhalla
Currently trying to enjoy a little blast through the now-offline (and ultimately more enjoyable) Forza 6 on my XB1X (not series X), but for some reason the screen goes black for a second randomly quite often - maybe 2 or 3 times a race. As you can imagine this won't do. The sound continues when this happens, and there are no clicks or buzzing or any other indication of some kind of bad connection.

I've changed HDMI cables, re-seated the power cable, updated anything that needs updated... still happening.
The HDMI cables I've used work perfectly well on the other devices; PS4, PS2 (with scart converter), Sky Q Box, 3D Blu-Ray player etc. The TV is a 65-in LG OLED and not very old so I sincerely doubt it's that, plus it's only happening with the XBOX.

Any thoughts? It is driving me mental.

Currently trying to enjoy a little blast through the now-offline (and ultimately more enjoyable) Forza 6 on my XB1X (not series X), but for some reason the screen goes black for a second randomly quite often - maybe 2 or 3 times a race. As you can imagine this won't do. The sound continues when this happens, and there are no clicks or buzzing or any other indication of some kind of bad connection.

I've changed HDMI cables, re-seated the power cable, updated anything that needs updated... still happening.
The HDMI cables I've used work perfectly well on the other devices; PS4, PS2 (with scart converter), Sky Q Box, 3D Blu-Ray player etc. The TV is a 65-in LG OLED and not very old so I sincerely doubt it's that, plus it's only happening with the XBOX.

Any thoughts? It is driving me mental.
What happens if you turn HDR off on both devices?

How long is your HDMI cable and what "grade" is it? Just because the cable is physically OK doesn't mean it's able to keep up with the data rate asked of it, but I can't find anything definitive that says what resolution and frame rate FM6 runs at on the 1X. What have you been playing on the PS4? The other devices don't necessarily get close in terms of data rate - 1080p at 24-60Hz isn't that hard to achieve.

For reference, I was having the exact same problem with my PS4 Pro and had to get a pretty thick cable for it to work at the 2 metres I required.

What happens if you turn HDR off on both devices?
You might be on to something there. Seems to be trying to set HDR modes as I’m playing it.
How long is your HDMI cable and what "grade" is it? Just because the cable is physically OK doesn't mean it's able to keep up with the data rate asked of it, but I can't find anything definitive that says what resolution and frame rate FM6 runs at on the 1X. What have you been playing on the PS4? The other devices don't necessarily get close in terms of data rate - 1080p at 24-60Hz isn't that hard to achieve.

For reference, I was having the exact same problem with my PS4 Pro and had to get a pretty thick cable for it to work at the 2 metres I required.
The cable is only long enough to reach my AV Receiver (I like to keep slack to a minimum), and it’s rated for 8K.
I think the issue is HDR modes. When I switched for Forza 7 earlier today the same thing was happening but with the HDR logo appearing on screen.

Back