Xbox Series S/X 1TB SSD Expansion Will Cost $220

Well, thats quite a lot of money. However, lets not forget this isnt your typical purchase at console launch. I think it will take a couple of years until you might get the feeling that you need to upgrade your Series X from 1TB to 2TB. And after all that time has passed, 200 bucks seems like a fair investment, i think. Remember this isnt a PS2 Memory Card. It might look like one but this is actually a very fast modern SSD with lots of storage. These things dont come cheap.

Regarding Series S... i think the type of person who buys an SS wont be buying such an expensive SSD on top of it. Would make more sense to buy an Series X instead. But somewhere down the line, this could be a valuable purchase for them as well.

Maybe I'm conditioned to this being a PC enthusiast and all, but $220 for an NVMe SSD really isn't that big of a deal. It's only slightly marked up from what you would pay for a standalone drive for PC use. For those thinking it's going to be a different, "better" story with the PS5, I hate to tell you this, but you'd be dead wrong.

Sony mandates that any supplemental NVMe storage have a read speed of 5.5 GB/s, the same as the PS5. That's PCIe Gen 4 speeds and those are only just available to consumers now outside of PCIe expansion cards (if that confuses you, don't worry about it :P) that don't cost upwards of $900. Samsung 980 Pro, which doesn't launch until next month I believe, has read speeds upwards of 6.4 GB/s. The 1TB variant, at 7 GB/s costs $230.

Of course, there are more manufacturers than Samsung and you will eventually pay less than $230 but let's not pretend the grass is slightly greener on the other side. It isn't. Not for a while.

Back