Xenogears/Xenosaga

• Thread starter Anaconda
  • 10 comments
Anyone play these games? I loved both of them. Both have religious references in names and such and plot as well. Xenogears was one of the most underrated games of its time I believe when it was released on PSone years ago. Despite the graphics which we're OK for PSone the story and characters were phenomenal. It was the 5th chapter in a 6 chapter story line. I think monolith whom was the team responsible for creating the Xenogears game has moved on to Xenosaga and branched out away from Squaresoft to create this game. Xenosaga falls somewhat on the same lines and have some references to Xenogears and character similarities. Im still wondering if they will continue forth and have XG be its 5th installment. Anyone else play these games? They're awesome.

The story wasn't the best. I didn't mind the long videos, since I play RPGs mainly for the storyline.

I'm playing through Xenogears for the umpteenth time, although my progress has come to a halt at the moment due to other things getting in the way. I felt the same way about Xenosaga EP1, it was short but sweet although a little easy, but it was enjoyable and the battle system rocked. Well apart from not bothering with the Gears at all even on the final boss. The trailer to EP2 looks even better.

First, my Disk one went missing. Now, disc two is broke and I have no Playstation. It should be a crime not to have this game:(.

I hate to be a bastige, but I managed to actually buy a copy of Xenogears. I've been playing with pirate discs for ages, I finally saw it in CEX and snapped it up. It was expensive for a game that was released in 1998, but it was worth it because it's so rare.

I dunno how much it goes for in America, but I picked up an American copy for like £32. Seeing as they never released it in Europe. :grumpy:

Hiya! :D :embarrassed: :lol: Meow! (='.'=)

Too bad I havent played Xenogears yet, but I do see them as Greatest Hits still at Gamestop. I need to get it soon!

Anyways, I played Xenosaga Episode 1 and really LUV IT! My favorite character in the game is KOS-MOS! Why? Because KOS-MOS have a lot of mysterious things about her that makes me want to know why she does things the way she does! Like how does she automatically wake up when the Gnosis attack the ships in the beginning! I just think its really tempting me to really eagerly want to understand KOS-MOS more and really want her to have human feelings over things.
Just like in the game.. KOS-MOS is like a black box! :embarrassed::embarrassed: You never know wuts hidden in there until it comes out!

In anticipation for Xenoblade Chronicles X, I was inspired to finally tackle Xenogears. I've had the opportunity for years (via emulation, no hard copy) and played the opening sequence in Lahan before, but I never got hooked into it. Even now, I wasn't quite sure what to make of the early parts of the game; both the story and gameplay take a while to get rolling, and it requires some persistence.

However, I've just finished it, and...wow. What a tragically brilliant work of art. 👍 I don't think I've ever played such a well-written game, and once things start to pick up, the gameplay is exceptionally balanced and engaging for an old school JRPG. With only a bit of level-grinding here and there (mostly for fun), I was always close to the limit of my abilities, especially with the gears, thanks to the strict limits on fuel and HP (based on available parts). I enjoyed the combat system, and the platforming too.

As anyone who has played the game knows, it has some substantial flaws as a result of its troubled development. However, even as a "gameplay first" kind of guy, I was invested into the story by disc two and eager to carefully follow along through every one of the lengthy monologue/dialogue sequences in the latter portion of the game. In spite of all that, it deserves a spot next to Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger as my top three favorite JRPGs.

I figured it would be a good idea to experience Tetsuya Takahashi's first project before playing his third attempt at the formula, but I didn't expect to find quite as many similarities and references between Xenogears and Xenoblade X. It was really interesting to play Xenogears for the first time in that context.

This thread is older than my first post on GTP, but are there any Xenogears fans around today? :)

Back