xfps adapter :keyboard and mouse controls on cod4

• Thread starter smokey2k
  • 8 comments
Hydro2k
hi all,
just wondering if any of you use the xfps adapter to play fps

im thinking of getting one
because i just cant get on with the joypad and games like cod4,
ive always played fps's on pc with keyboard and mouse and would like the same controls on ps3,
if you got one what are your views on it ..worth it or dont bother?
its supposed to work on all ps3 titles but i mainly want it for cod4 and tf2

Here's a review I found on Amazon:

I am a die-hard pc fps gamer. I loved playing Call of Duty 4 on my pc machine until my computer totally crashed. So I bought a ps3, along with cod4. I was so disappointed playing it with the ps3 controller. I am so used to a mouse and keyboard. So I took the plunge and bought the xfps adapter.

First off, it works great. It comes REALLY close to replicating the feel of an fps game on a pc. It takes some time to really dial in the x/y sensitivity, but once you find the sweet spot, it really works great. I'm using my razer copperhead mouse and a logitech keyboard. There's really nothing like playing cod4 on my 42" plasma with my mouse and keyboard hooked up to my ps3. The xfps does a really great job.

Now for some of the little drawbacks. For some reason after I've unhooked the controller, it won't remember my "back" button. I've mapped "s" to be my "back" control on my keyboard, and I have to remap it every time I start a new session. Once it's plugged in and mapped, I can go as long as I want. But once it's unplugged, for some reason it doesn't remember it, so I have to remap it. Not sure why, maybe I just got a funky unit.

They should have added in a 3rd usb port for easier mapping. As is, when you want to map your controller to your keyboard/mouse, there's only 2 usb ports on the xfps, one of which is taken up by the ps3 controller during mapping. So you basically have to plug in the ps3 controller to one usb port on the xfps, plug your keyboard into the other usb port to map your keyboard, then unplug it, attach the mouse, and then map the mouse. It's just more of an inconvenience than anything else.

The other thing is that the extra side thumb-buttons on my mouse can't be mapped. I didn't really expect that it would be able to map those buttons, but if they could be mapped, it would have given me the complete pc fps experience.

So I have a few qualms with the unit, but it's mostly to do with the mapping of the controls. As for the game play, honestly, I have no complaints. It's not perfect, but it's really, really close. If you're a pc gamer and you're used to a keyboard and mouse for fps', this is a must buy. It is well worth the price tag, especially with a game like cod4.

Hope that helps

thanks mate that was the kind of info i was after,
ive decided im going to get one to try,i found some more vids on utube last night of some1 playing online,if i hadnt known it was running on a ps3 i would thought it was the pc version,
why they didnt just add keyboard and mouse in the first place would have been alot better

This may also be something worth considering:

I'd really like to see some reviews on this product! It would be great for those first person shooters, in my opinion.

Ask an ye shall receive :

IGN Review

[Edit:]

IGN Hands on Review

Originally Posted by IGN
on the Fragchuck positioned just above the two relocated L1 and L2 shoulder buttons. Dubbed the Flash or Frag button, when depressed it progressively desensitizes the mouse in accordance with the button's degree of depression. We immediately understood its usefulness for taking quick aim with the mouse at full speed and then slowing the movement down to put someone's forehead right in the crosshairs and hold it there.

I have GOT to [get] me one of those...

already looked at that one mate, but im left handed,
also read some reports that its easy to break
but thanks all the same for the info

Both Products seems great. Unreal 3 works well with mouse and keyboard. Why cant all PS3 FPS games do that?

Personally I'm not a fan of the whole keyboard/mouse thing for PS3...

Don't get me wrong, Keyboard and mouse is THE way to play FPS, I was in a sponsored CoD clan for two years, so I completely understand the drill. However, I've found part of the fun with CoD 4 on PS3 is that it's a level playing field. Yeh, you start off terrible, but in my opinion, it's the challenge of getting used to the controls and learning to whip everyone that makes it fun for me. Perhaps I'm digressing slightly from the point of the topic, but I just think you should stick with controller but just my two cents :)

Personally I'm not a fan of the whole keyboard/mouse thing for PS3...

Don't get me wrong, Keyboard and mouse is THE way to play FPS, I was in a sponsored CoD clan for two years, so I completely understand the drill. However, I've found part of the fun with CoD 4 on PS3 is that it's a level playing field. Yeh, you start off terrible, but in my opinion, it's the challenge of getting used to the controls and learning to whip everyone that makes it fun for me. Perhaps I'm digressing slightly from the point of the topic, but I just think you should stick with controller but just my two cents :)

I can understand where your coming from mate, but the thing is it aint a level playing field,
After hearing about these k&m adaptors ive been on a hunt for info,
and it seems lots of people are using them,
so i figured if you cant beat them join them.
I thought mayby it was cheating if i got one but after seeing so many ppl have them i gotta get one
strange thing is i was great on the 1player mode with the pad but online i suck

bet quake wars will be the same :( no keyboard support

we should all hook up some time and have a ut3 match :)

Back