XG-M SLR lenses help.

• Thread starter Flamedogg
  • 5 comments
Philippines
Wisconsin
Flamedogg11
I don't know how many professional photographers are out in here, but I have a question.

I just inherited a Minolta XG-M SLR that was my grandpa's. I would like to know if there are any fairly decent low priced DSLR bodies out there that can use these lenses I have. I know that I'm trying to put MF lenses on a AF body, but can't I set the camera to MF and use the lenses that way? Also, I know I need an adapter to use these lenses on a DSLR body, problem is I have no clue as to what I need.

Basically what I want to do is essentially TRY to use these lenses and take pictures without using the old film type SLR XG-M camera.

The Sony Alpha dSLR's use the SR AF mount that Minolta released back in the 80's. So the old AF Minolta lenses will fit, but the MF ones require an adapter that contains an optical element. The issue with optical element adapters is they generally cost more and reduce image quality by adding another element.

This is a lens table for the Mintola/Sony mounting system if you are curious about any glass you may have.

You could also just pick up some film, say ISO 200 or 400, and just shoot with the XG-M. The body is fairly nice to work with and I enjoyed learning film on my old X-700.

You could also just pick up some film, say ISO 200 or 400, and just shoot with the XG-M. The body is fairly nice to work with and I enjoyed learning film on my old X-700.

My opinion too. To store them digitally you can either have them put on a cd when you get them developed or get the negatives only and scan them, which is what I do. I just use an old epson scanner that has a negative tray. You won't get the best results that way but they're not bad and the process is kind of fun.

Shooting on a 35mm SLR is a lot of fun and the pictures themselves can have a really cool look. Pretty much every picture I've taken I like just for that reason. Buy a few rolls from wal-mart and give it a try.

What lenses came with the camera?

What lenses are they, specifically? The best digital option for using them will probably be a Sony NEX-series camera with an adapter. You won't lose any optical quality, but the NEX sensors are smaller than 35mm film, so they'll make your lenses effectively 1.5x as long. So, for example, a 50 will "become" a 75mm, a 35 will be like a 52mm, etc. Good if you have telephoto lenses, not so great if you want to shoot with a wide-angle. This is the case with almost every SLR and "mirrorless camera" under $2000, by the way.

You can use a MD/MC lens adapter that adapts Minolta's manual lenses to Minolta's/Sony's A-mount AF bodies, seen them sell from 25-70 bucks or so. Quality may differ between third party brands too...do some research on them and decide for yourself if you think its worth the risk.

Back