Xlink Competition Judging

Which do you think is more efficient in judging for an Xlink Competition?

• Simply announce winner to advance based on judging criterias listed

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • Assign points to for each competitor's run

Votes: 8 47.1%

• Total voters
BreakerOhio
What are your thoughts about judging? Do you guys like having a point scale for your drifts? or would you think it'd be ok with having a winner advancing in the drift competition like it is done right now in real life d1gp?

Below info can be found at http://www.d1gp.com/
How is Tsuiso Battle Judged?
Tsuiso is the Japanese term for Twin Battle Drift. This head to head style of drifting is judged by the same principles as a solo round. However, there is a high level of strategy behind it that provides for a competitive level and an awesome show for the spectators. The exact judging of this event is difficult to explain because the judges rely on their many years of track experience and knowledge of the vehicle dynamics when issuing the exact points.

Offense and Defense when Twin Drifting Explained:

Offensive: Generally the chasing driver has the offensive when in the Twin Battle. An easy analogy is Cowboys at a rodeo competing in the round up or two jet pilots engaged in a dog fight. They chase their prey and do what ever they can to get their target into a dead zone where the prey cannot maneuver from. This same principle is used in the Tsuiso style. Driver use their vehicle and its drift to position into a space that minimizes the running drivers ability to keep a good line while staying in a high speed drift. The chasing driver MUST at all times demonstrate a superior drift in order to A) Keep the pressure on the lead driver B) Steal and block a line that may allow the lead driver a good opportunity for a drift. C) Be awarded a superior number of points If a chasing driver is unable to keep up and maintain pressure on the lead driver this will not be good when the time comes for points to be awarded.

Defensive: When a drive takes the lead in the Tsuiso battle the ideal strategy is to perform a drift a a much higher speed, good line, and a greater angle than the chasing driver. If a lead driver can shake off or intimidate a chasing driver many times the chasing driver will make a mistake when trying to compensate for what seems like erratic actions of the lead car. When a lead driver can pull away with a good angle, following the ideal line while maintaining a controlled drift, the chasing driver has all the pressure to increase performance. The lead driver at this point is winning. Lead drivers many times demonstrate superior skill by suddenly entering a drift at a great angle and going directly to the inside of the corner. TO the following driver it appears as though they will T-bone the lead car so they back down and take measures to avoid the lead car. Many times that will cause the chasing car to loose a great amount of speed and not be able to properly execute the corner in a full drift�Eor even worst they may spin out or hit the barriers. This is a ideal outcome for the lead driver in Tsuiso battles.

To advance to the next round, drivers use tactics such as putting pressure on an opponent through a more aggressive drift angle, carrying a higher speed through a corner, and showing good strategy. Judges are thoroughly familiar with the capabilities of each competitor's car and if the driver is not pushing the car to the limit, they will be eliminated from the round.

What do you guys think?

I like your idea. I don't like much show but more battle because it's more fun. I don't really mind about the points but more battle is more competition. 👍 . I want to see people's opinions.

EDITED.

man if some one say another thing about lag i am gonna pull all the keys out the keyboard screw lag right now lets just put lag in the back far corner of our minds right now and try to get this thing organized.

and breaker yea i like that i mean get some of the old school xlinkers to judge the tandems yall can either drive behind them or make the two drifters make a vid and post it up and judge off the vid the posted up. all in all i like using the d1gp rules.

Ryosuke_Gumna
It will be so hard to twin drift because of the lag. And yeah, putting pressure to the openent is a good way to win. It sounds interesting.
stop it with this lag bs. if you find someone under 100, lag is tolerable, and actaully helps sometimes. like in sim mode, i cant manji, but on xlink i can.
anyways, if you people just vote and not post, come and post because wed like to hear what you have to say about this subject.

Drifting for the sport of drifting is all about adaptability, risk/reward, and luck. Judges should use their own mental points system to decide a winner in their eyes. Some judges lean towards a slower, smoother, more showy exhibition style. Others like a higher rate of speed combined with more aggresive movements. Both have advantages and disadvantages in a "battle," which is where your level of adapability and willingness to take the risk for the reward comes into play. I feel like in a competition that can be as unpredictable as this, opinion based judging is the only way to go. Do you want a competition thats going to be both parties drifting conservatively to rack up points on set criteria like smoke and angle? Or do you want both competitors battling it out head to head, pushing eachother into situations they haven't been in before drifting in Arcade/GT Mode? If you want to argue that having judging based on set criteria promotes consistancy, having it opinion based only pushes for greater consistancy in a more die-hard situation. The lag, IS NOT a legitimate excuse, in my eyes, to have it based on points system with criteria like angle and smoke. You can keep your opinion on how it effects your drifting on XLink. I don't deny it doesn't effect it negatively in some ways, but it's beneficial also. It adds a higher difficulty level above a lag free enviroment, which will force competitors to better themselves in the heat of the moment. Don't get me wrong I do feel like smoke/angle/duration/control of the drifts should hold some weight, but if its the only factor in judging then where is the real "battle?" You'd just be fighting against a points scale, and I think people would rather see who has nerves to do something crazy...

...Maybe even pull it off... *DUM DUM DUM!* :crazy:

I really like the way you put it dt_c i think we should go that way cause if you ever watch a d1gp tandem and a formula d tandem they are actully diffrent, in d1 its more of a battle, but in formula d its more show, don't get me wrong i like show but i like when its a pure battle.

xsquizet-drifte
I really like the way you put it dt_c i think we should go that way cause if you ever watch a d1gp tandem and a formula d tandem they are actully diffrent, in d1 its more of a battle, but in formula d its more show, don't get me wrong i like show but i like when its a pure battle.

You make a point there. I do notice this difference also, maybe its because of the japanese drifters having more experience with battling, so their competitions look better. :)

Anyways, this is good. I like DT_C's reply and agree with her points. Battling should be judged on players pushing each other and seeing how they can entertain the spectators and demonstrate control and style. I think it would be simplier to just annouce a winner rather than computing scores for smoke/speed/angle/control because imagine if you picked a car that could burnout on the straights the whole course (but then this drifter sucked at keeping up in battling), and imagine if the other drifter out drifted them, the smoke scale could possibly skew the results when really the better drifter had a better performance with consistency and battled closer and applied better pressure.

Another idea is maybe each corner is awarded one point for the drifter that battled it best. And the results could be totaled up from all the points earned for winning the corners. Judging will be based on the defined rules for OFFENSE and DEFENSE in battling explained above in post #1.
2 laps. Switching leaders at the beginning of each new lap.

If the follower applies to much pressure and T-Bones the Leader, then a severe penality is applied to their score. Maybe a loss of one point and a reward of a 3 points for the leader.

I think that points per corner would be an easy way to score this....as long as they are battleing....kinda pointless to score corners if competitors are traveling in a line.....I think that would defeat the purpose of xlink

Hmmm....Well, my biggest gripe with the other comps is the full lap thing. That's an incredible amount of pressure and every good corner you take only puts more pressure on you to do another good one.

So, having said all that. I think we can kinda mix the two. There is certainly a new "criteria" for these comps being the "Battle" element or maybe aggressiveness. But there is always the basics of what makes drifting cool and fun to watch.

We should be very careful in implimenting a scoring system for these comps as it could very easily change what they are intended to do.

I think that the judges should keep mental scores or write them down somewhere, but not show them unless the one who lost asks for them to see how close he was (or far). It could be used for improvement purposes.

Back