Yamaha Controller

Teh_Loserer and GTP_Teh_Loserer
Teh Loserer
I did a quick search and found nothing, so if this is a re-post... meh. Crucify me. Anyway, I know there's a Yamaha handlebar style controller out there for pretty cheap, and it's gotten decent reviews on a few websites. Anyone tried it with TT yet? How is it? Worth buying?

That looks cool as hell, but it looks as though it is only for GameCube... am I wrong?

I can't wait to see the 'cockpits' being constructed for this game... Real foot pedals for brake and gear shift. Full sized Seat, Tank and Handlebars... with Compound handlebar and Bike Leaning analog control... in other words, you can either turn the handle bars, or lean the bike, but if you do both, the severity of the turn is increased past either alone.

If that sounded confusing, just imagine the poor soul who has to Fabricate it!

Just add a Fan that increase in speed as you increase in speed, and you're golden!

Bikes are too difficult to emulate with computers because they are a full body experience. so my advice is this: stick to the DS2 controller*.

*unless you find a gaming device that calculates your weight, riding position, strength, comfort, endurance, etc.. And for that price you could probably buy yourself a motorcycle :D

edit: Kuhnaydeen- there was an arcade controller like that, but I doubt it's in production anymore(and the game sucked) 👎

luftrofl
edit: Kuhnaydeen- there was an arcade controller like that, but I doubt it's in production anymore(and the game sucked) 👎

Yah, I remember that game, but I don't think you could turn the handlebars, I think it was just the leaning thing. There's the Harley arcade game, though. That wasn't TOO bad. Though I think getting it to work with TT would be a pain in the ass.

Kuhnaydeein
I was wrong, it's multi-platform!

Figured I may as well post a link to the Item as well as the best price I was able to find for it in a quick online search...

Good Pictures of Item:
http://images.google.com/images?cli...-8&oe=UTF-8&percentage_served=100&sa=N&tab=wi

Best Price Found at Buy.com:
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.a...21043&Type=PE&Category=Elec&Gad=0&dcaid=17551

Thanks, man. I woulda done that, but I figured it was prolly known of here. A friend of mine told me about it and he did the research on it to find out that it does work with TT.

The Yamaha controller sucks. You have limited programming options for the buttons, and the throttle doesn't feel right at all. It's so big it's like twisting a roll of toilet paper and it'll give you tendonitis. The brake levers have wimpy springs with no resistance.

It's cheaply made and I broke it playing MotoGP3 trying to get maximum lean; waste of $. Stick with the DS2.

About a year or so ago I got a couple of cheap handlebar sets from a liquidator mostly for novelty value. (Interact, IIRC)

There's no way you can properly emulate handlebar control sensing the turning of the bars only. It would sort of work for ATV games, but not for two-wheeled vehicles.

The most interesting thing about my old bars is they do NegCon emulation mode. (Presumably not understood by TT).

Actually, I'm seeing another major flaw with the controller- you don't turn a bike by turning the bars(which I'm guessing is how you steer with that controller).

My Yamaha controller (YC) showed up on Friday.

I'm "old school" (play GT4 w/ DFP) and have never used the DS2 before this game. My eye-thumb skills suck (non-existent). I did win a 600cc bike with it tho and got the novice licence too (bronze).

First impressions were that it was OK. Didn't like the grip throttle...probably because my cockpit surface is set up for the DFP (angled) instead of flat so it skews things a bit. So then I began to use the X button as the "gas pedal". Much nicer except that because it was mounted at an angle the buttons were positioned awkwardly. So I programed the controller such that R1 (I think) was the gas. So aside from "numb thumb" from holding the button down it's much better.

Unfortunately something inside the left brake lever broke this morning. If I can't fix it I will have to program the brakes to L1 and/or L2. I'm using AT and had hoped to switch to MT at some point but if I gotta use all the buttons for other stuff I may not be able to pull that off.

While this thing is all plastic and somewhat cheap it appears to be the best PS2 motorcycle controller on the market. But without it I would probably abandon the game...to me it adds to the "simulation" if the controller is actually more realistic....too bad you can't get your feet involved in the action like a real bike.

thrustmaster done a bike controller a few years back, that did sense when you leaned it, dont know if it was ps2 compatable or if it was just for pc, i'm sure it be a damn site better built than that yamaha controller, cheap controlloers are a waste of money, matter of time before they break.

I was thinking about this the other day..... but I was thinking more along the lines of possibly modding the DFP... hmm... The only thing I was really stuck on was the throttle... it presented a fairly large problem as I couldn't get my head around the best method to get it to work well...

I was hoping the DFP would work too. It seems that the game won't recognize a USB device. If the DFP USB could be converted to DS2 style connection it might work...if you could get beyond the 900 degree rotation. Maybe a wheel controller w/o the 900 rotation would be a better possibility as I don't know if you'd be able to turn off the 900 "standard" setting.

Is anybody aware of an adapter that would have a female USB end and a male DS2 connsection?

If somebody like Logitech made a quality device that would be the answer.

Or maybe you could tear apart a DS2 and rig a set of bicycle handlebars to work. But that just seems like so much trouble. Maybe I just need to train my thumbs to drive a motorcycle. But using thumbs for steering & gas/brake inputs and other fingers for shifting (MT -- btw anybody using MT?) would be a huge task for me...I sooner be able to figure out women...well maybe not >> with enough time I could master the DFP but as soon as I think I've got women figured out they go and change. And you should see me trying to drive with the DS2...trying to use "body english" to turn the bike.

I bought a Logitech Driving Force EX wheel today at Circuit City. It has USB AND a standard controller connection (like DS2). So maybe it will work w/ TT. It was $67.99 on sale (regularly $79.99). I couldn't determine if it has 900 degree rotation. Based on the price I don't imagine that it does and I certainly hope it does not. 270 degrees of rotation may prove to be too much anyway. It only has paddle shifters behind the wheel, no separate shift knob like the DFP but I don't use that much any way.

I'll give it a test tonight and report back on the results.

Back