Yamauchi-san, is GT art or a tool?

• Thread starter Snaeper
  • 3 comments

Snaeper

Premium
United States
Phoenix, AZ
GTP_Snaeper
I sometimes feel like much of the energy that goes into GT is to re-create each car in loving detail, to re-create each track with as life-like a feeling as possible, to enhance the environments and the senses to give each player the feeling that they're really driving that car on that track at that time of day. This would be how I would define the "Art" part of my question.

Many in this community and those in the communities that I meet while playing online see GT as more of a tool. A game used to re-create races and racing series using the vast array of cars available to them through your game. These are the groups that run Le Mans Prototypes and GT's at la Sarthe, or take Super GT GT500 and GT300 cars to Suzuka and Fuji. Often times, though, I feel that GT is not made with this purpose in mind. This is how I would define the "Tool" part of my question.

While I understand that you would ideally focus on both aspects for the game, which aspect do you consider to be more of the base of GT's design? Feel free to re-define or add to my definitions as you please.

I feel that this answer would help give the community insight into why some members might not understand certain decisions that are made.

Brilliant question!

I think many in the drift community would agree that we lean towards using GT as a tool (or platform) to recreate the art of drifting.

Good question but first and foremost it is a game and that must be the focus of updates - Make it a better game. It can be enhanced with additional features, such as the Data Logger, but gameplay and content is king.

I have considered GT as art. When you are pure with what goes in, you are pure with what comes out.

This rather heralds back to what his vision is to begin with.

But this IS a GREAT question!

Back