Yamauchi TWEET'S - PS EYE

  • Thread starter Thread starter 8800's@over
  • 9 comments
  • 1,330 views
Messages
13
"As you may know, many players noticed that GT5’s face-tracking functionality only worked in Arcade mode. According to Yamauchi, it’s not available in GT mode due to memory issues with the PS3."


Then PS EYE will never be supported by the carrer mode?
 
The PS EYE even doesn't track my face at all, while it's clearly visible in that small window.. Seems like my face is weird or something else..
 
I tried it in arcade and its very buggy!

Here is my setup:

32" TV mounted on a desk with the PS Eye mounted on top of the TV looking down at about 30 degree angle. The wheel is mounted directly infront of the TV, maybe 6 inches back.

I adjusted all the settings to MAX and changed the face size to 44 percent.

it seems to me like the face/head tracking has a bit of a "dead zone" where you have to move your head quite a bit to the side before you see any response in the game. Also turning your head all the way to the side does not actually move the in game view to the extreme angles you get when you use the D-pad to look left/right.

Still looking left right works OK. Its the in between behavior that is buggy. Combined with the deadzone i couldnt for the life of me focus/steady the view on the rearview mirror. As i tried to look "halfway" to the right the view was jittery all over the place. It could be down to the fact that i had poor lighting in the room though. i tried adding extra lights but the view still shakes around even though i keep my head absolutely still.

There is also a bit of a lag. Its VERY promising though.

For those that have not seen how it works or understand the functionality..

it has 3 degrees of motion that it monitors:
1)turning left right (look at mirror)
2)lateral movement left right (look around a-pillar for example)
3) up down movement (sit up to see more of the hood, or duck down to look at the instruments).

No tilting (pitch/roll) though as i think its not necessary.

This has great potential and i do hope they improve it in the future.
 
Glad to know this, I was gonna get one to check it out but not anymore.
 
"As you may know, many players noticed that GT5’s face-tracking functionality only worked in Arcade mode. According to Yamauchi, it’s not available in GT mode due to memory issues with the PS3."


Then PS EYE will never be supported by the carrer mode?

That's what I suspected from the start but I had hoped it could be patched in.

What I'm guessing the issue is is that the game probably doesn't load anything in the cockpit you can't see in the default view to make room in the memory for other vehicles on the track. There was also something about pit stops, maybe being able to look around would mean more stuff would need to be loaded for the pit stop animation.
 
Sounds like a self esteem issue.:)

Lol, don't take everything too seriously. Only thing I can think of why it didn't get my head right is because of glasses. But when I took them off the cam still didn't recognise me..
 
It also works in GT mode, for practice in drift trial. It is very buggy and if you set the angle too much it often starts driving with the camera looking out one of the side windows lol. I think its best set for very small movements. One thing I do like is that it detects when u move horizontally left and right so that you can have a better look at the side or review mirror.
 
Lol, don't take everything too seriously. Only thing I can think of why it didn't get my head right is because of glasses. But when I took them off the cam still didn't recognise me..

Are you black? Serious question, because there was a big fuss about a line of Logitech cameras with face recognition that couldn't detect black people.
 
Are you black? Serious question, because there was a big fuss about a line of Logitech cameras with face recognition that couldn't detect black people.

Nope, I have a caucasian skin tone, so that can\t be the problem.:)
 
Back