Yellow Beast

  • Thread starter Thread starter Hot4
  • 8 comments
  • 839 views
Messages
339
Yellow Beast.

I have recently been testing the RUF CTR Yellowbird and i was curious to hear what other people have to say about this car. My first impression tells me this is one fun car to drive, but it sure is one hard beast to tame. For a start you can get this car to a thumping 800 HP and if your using sports tiers like i am you'll find it difficult to keep it's big turbo-ass-power on the tarmac. It's great going in a straight line, you can really feel the speed, especially with a stage 4 turbo under the hood, keeping it on the road however is a different story. The rear end of this car loves to slip and slide all over the place and to drive it effectively will take some getting used to.

This car really has a strong tendency to oversteer, regardless of whether it's going through a low speed sharp corner or a high speed long bend, it's backside really wants to kick out. I haven't tried to tweak this car as yet, but im guessing that no amount of tweaking is going to remove this cars desire to drift around corners. I never like to use the oversteer and understeer management option on any of my cars, i like to feel their natural behavior. I think that cranking up the oversteer management option in an attempt to settle the balance of this car would destroy its character, it would be like putting a wild animal into a cage or something. Being an RR engine layout it has a heavy backside and it's motive to get sideways around corners is half the fun!!

Rather than trying to tune this car to cater for your driving style, i think it makes more sense to adapt your driving style to this car. It's the kind of car that has it's own distinct qualities and your driving technique will change accordingly. Gently drifting this car around corners in a smooth manner and holding a slight angle seems to work for me.

Pros: An insane near 800HP at your disposal.
Boxer engine, a big turbo and fat twin exhaust combo creates a beautiful sound.
Looks damn gorgeous
Big top speed. (Haven't got a figure yet but at 200Kph it feels like it's crusing. )
Great for destroying tiers.

Cons: Heavy oversteer. Some people may not like this.
Brakes, even with upgrade seem weak.
unstable under heavy braking when cornering.
After driving it other cars may become more boring.

If your after a car with big power and an even bigger attitude then driving around in this baby will sure to please. Regardless of its oversteering nature and its allergy to the tarmac, it's one fast, sexy ride thats a lot of fun to fly around in. If you have any tips on tuning this car, please post them.

Note: Most of my testing so far has been with full power upgrades.

Cheers
-Hot4


[img=http://img386.imageshack.us/img386/6515/img00961vc.th.jpg]
 
Awhile back I spent a great deal of time learning to drive this machine. Probably would have to re-learn everything now. I would reccommend taming it in stock trim first and then working your way up through the HP upgrades. I was never able to drive it fully tricked out. Just too much power for the chassis.

I did have alotta fun with it at Sarthe II and Test Curse... For fun take it to the "Like the Wind" event, either Professional or Extrem Hall. Fully tricked out. The number #1 seed in my race was the Audi R8. With everything, including NOS I was able to just barely catch the R8's draft then I just hung on and nipped 'em at the line. Nice 200pt. race that wasn't too hard to win...You just have to catch the R8 before the end of the 1st lap or he's gone. I think I caught him around turn 3.

Maybe I'll have to pull mine out of moth balls. I really believe I didn't get too much beyond the stock HP. Challenging to drive. Try tricking out the Caterham and taking a few spins around the Nurb. It's so light the bumps really make it difficult. I expect the Bird's a blast to drive at the Nurb too.
 
Gotta love the bird! The trick is to be gentle on your throttle when lifting off or you get into a spin right ther and then. As for turning and braking,.....forget it. Brake before the turn, and then throttle round the turn (carefully modulated of course), and floor it once you have your line out. As for losing traction at speed,... DO NOT DROP THE ACCELEROR. The only way to control this car is give it gas and ride that slide. Soooo much fun.

The ultimate 'ring car for sure. Try it as stock on the 'ring with N3 tyres and driving aids switched off. Once you've got that, you'll have mastered the yellow bird! (You'll also have spent the better part of 8 minutes in a continuous controlled power slide,.... oh yes).

"You wanna get fast punk, now I've gotta light that ass up"
 
its a decent car for sure. the btr are also nice albeit a bit more tame.
 
Powerslide
The ultimate 'ring car for sure. Try it as stock on the 'ring with N3 tyres and driving aids switched off. Once you've got that, you'll have mastered the yellow bird!

Exactly.
 
Nice little blurb.... as said on the forum before, probably a million times.... you have to drive the bird with road tires. The racing tyres don't let you know the limit of adhesion..... and will suddenly let go without expectation. That’s why you’re struggling to keep it on track.

And I feel (probably a widely shared sentiment on the forum) that it should be left stock. Plenty of power under the hood... or more appropriately under the boot.

Anyway, enjoy it... it's a real pain but a rewarding experience to tame the best that best suits the Nurb.....
 
Back