Yellow Light of Death & A Fix

  • Thread starter Thread starter Hig-GT
  • 9 comments
  • 1,120 views
Messages
1,096
Messages
Higz7
Right so I just got this after midnight this morning. So straight away I went online & did some quick research, from that I found this PDF:


http://www.4shared.com/document/7LEt_aJi/Yellow_Light_of_Death__PS3__-_.html


So I went out & about and got some CPU / GPU cleaner and some Thermal Compound. The cleaner worked a treat couldn't believe the amount of muck it picked up lol! Also hoovered out the PS3 aswell, nowhere near as much dust as what I pulled out of my PS2 that time.

First thing to do if your PS3 YLOD's is to switch it off and leave it for a few hours (or overnight) then after a few hours go back to it, and then go to switch on your PS3, if it is the CPU then your PS3 will switch on as normal (watch for the HDD light when it comes on) and then after 15-20 seconds (after it has warmed up) it will shut off. This is because the CPU / GPU is overheating because the thermal compound isn't working. (Also, when it cuts out put your hand on the top of the PS3 and check how warm it feels, mine didn't feel too warm so I was relieved :) )

If it switches on after a few hours and the HDD light flashes then your HDD and your motherboard are fine!

Just to add, I know there is that big thread on this, but when I had a search on here I thought a post like this would be really useful, for such a problem I think it is best that this is documented as well as possible.

To add, my PS3 is now working (touch wood) I haven't done any GT5 races yet but the PS3 has switched on & GT5 has loaded up and is allowing to send receive cars etc. Will try doing races later tonight but all looks better at least lol!
 
I fixed my ps3 twice but after a few weeks it kept breaking down. no matter what thermal paste you use. i ended up buying a new one because sony doesnt repair when you removed the warranty label (even if the warranty is gone)
 
i had a 60gb launch model for 3 yrs then bam ylod,fixed it 7times and finally it gave up totally so bought a new one.fingers crossed yours is ok though:)
 
Yeh ... Thats the only problem ... How long will the fix last? ... I did take my time with it, and tried to do as good a job with it as I could, so we'll just have to wait and see. £270 is steep for a new PS3 though, if I can avoid that it'll be great! (I could afford it but I like my phat PS3 lol! :P)
 
the longest (first fix) i done was 10hrs of gameplay on mw2 then from then on each fix was less and less time to the point where no.7 didnt come back on.i bought another fat one also:tup:
 
Thanks for info. 👍 I have a launch model and its starting to make me a little nervous. Its been on for the last month and its probably just a matter of time.
 
Running a lot of b-spec races...:nervous:
Hope the PS3 holds on.
 
Yeh ... Thats the only problem ... How long will the fix last? ... I did take my time with it, and tried to do as good a job with it as I could, so we'll just have to wait and see. £270 is steep for a new PS3 though, if I can avoid that it'll be great! (I could afford it but I like my phat PS3 lol! :P)

Any handmade fix such as reflow (using heat gun ) won't last for more than a 3 months 1st time if your are lucky, then even less and less every time, untill it'll die completely.
There's only 1 100% fix - professional reball using infrared rework station with proper lead solder (not that lead-free crap that are used in PS3/X360).
After that you can be sure, that gpu/cpu won't lose contact with motherboard, so no YLOD because of that. But it's usually very expensive thing to do. Add there chances that laser may die too (another 75$+) and i think it'll be better to buy a new PS3, unless your PS3 can read PS2 games and you don't wanna lose it no matter what.
 
Last edited:
No the PS3 can't read PS2 disks. Tbh, I didn't really heat it up that much ... I mainly just did the thermal compound, I applied a bit of heat to the areas but no where near as much as was suggested in that guide so fingers crossed it'll be alright. A couple of months would be great though lol! :)
 
Right so my PS3 lasted for just under two hours before it died again. I'm not bothering fixing it again, shall have to go and buy a 320GB PS3 Slim I think.

Edit - Just been out and bought a slim PS3, £272 for the 360GB one (was £255 for the 160GB so I just thought sod it I may aswell get the bigger one)

So much for getting a few months out of it lol!
 
Last edited:
Back