Yellowbird- you absolute menace

Australia
sydney
Let me start by saying I love this car! the fact that it tries to kill me at every corner adds to its dark, addictive personality. It has become my little project to bring it to some sort of sanity. I saw this video yesterday for the first time- which showed me that taming the beast is possible (albeit the driver is a driving GOD) and I am practising.

I have set up the car to control its bum, toning it down slightly and I am practising on the ring. Has anyone got some tips for driving this thing quickly? I am an average driver at best but love the way this car is portrayed in PCARS. They nailed it.

using t300rs, t3pa pedals, th8a shifter. no aids

Let me start by saying I love this car! the fact that it tries to kill me at every corner adds to its dark, addictive personality. It has become my little project to bring it to some sort of sanity. I saw this video yesterday for the first time- which showed me that taming the beast is possible (albeit the driver is a driving GOD) and I am practising.

I have set up the car to control its bum, toning it down slightly and I am practising on the ring. Has anyone got some tips for driving this thing quickly? I am an average driver at best but love the way this car is portrayed in PCARS. They nailed it.

using t300rs, t3pa pedals, th8a shifter. no aids

Steer the rear. All your inputs, throttle, brake, steering, weight transfer...their sole purpose is to get the rear of the car into the proper position for corner entry and exit. That has to be your thinking 100% of the time in this car or you will never hope to master it.

Check out this link from, @ConnorWolf , a finalist who went to silverstone, regarding how to try and control a RUF. It may be from GT6 , however his ideas do lead to better control of this beast.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/◆-snail-spec-racing-presented-by-thebuttkicker-com-feel-what-youve-been-missing.235094/page-3345#post-11172941
Just wanted to mention I didn't go to silverstone (yet), just US National Finals, and this is my first time really driving the Yellowbird much since GT4.

Steer the rear. All your inputs, throttle, brake, steering, weight transfer...their sole purpose is to get the rear of the car into the proper position for corner entry and exit. That has to be your thinking 100% of the time in this car or you will never hope to master it.

100% this. I'd also add that trying to tune out the oversteery behaviour will only make it harder to drive. In trying to reduce it's natural tendency to oversteer, you'll be introducing a lot of understeer. The problem with this, of course, is the car is still rear engine RWD, so tuning more understeer into the setup will exacerbate the car's natural tendency to understeer under power, when the weight is off the front wheels, and make the transition to oversteer when the rear weight starts to rotate all the more violent and sudden.

Cheers everyone for you input, some very helpful suggestions here. My biggest issue currently is stability in braking. Turning and braking seems unavoidable especially on a track like the ring, its often undoing my laps. If anyone has a video of the yellowbird on the ring (PCARS of course) with telemetry that would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers everyone for you input, some very helpful suggestions here. My biggest issue currently is stability in braking. Turning and braking seems unavoidable especially on a track like the ring, its often undoing my laps. If anyone has a video of the yellowbird on the ring (PCARS of course) with telemetry that would be greatly appreciated.

Try setting your deceleration value higher in your diff settings, and maybe soften the rear slow rebound and/or stiffen the front a little.

Try setting your deceleration value higher in your diff settings, and maybe soften the rear slow rebound and/or stiffen the front a little.

There is so much i have to learn with this game, i just read the link all about the pcars tyre model and was blown away with the level of detail. Coming from casual racing to pcars is challenging. But also really exciting. Loving the fact that i have to apply myself more than any other racer to get results.

P.s In Regards to this thread my yellowbird is behaving (only losing it when my concentration wanders) i broke the ring down to its stages to practise which is much managable. Diff decelration settings made a big difference.

There is so much i have to learn with this game, i just read the link all about the pcars tyre model and was blown away with the level of detail. Coming from casual racing to pcars is challenging. But also really exciting. Loving the fact that i have to apply myself more than any other racer to get results.

P.s In Regards to this thread my yellowbird is behaving (only losing it when my concentration wanders) i broke the ring down to its stages to practise which is much managable. Diff decelration settings made a big difference.

Glad I could help mate :cheers:

Back