Yet another wasted career championship due to broken game mechanic: PIT STOPS

United States
Daytona Beach
sloppysmusic
Posted this major problem at the game's main site. I've seen pit stop threads before but didn't know they could wreck a whole championship?

Yet another wasted career championship due to broken game mechanic: PIT STOPS

I will be so glad to be rid of the career series. All of it. Have been having a lot of fun in the cars I need for them and the tracks in practice, but the actual races/ai/bad weather/tires etc just plain hard work no fun.

Can't call me a troll either I spent MONTHS working on the career tune threads on this forum trying to make everyone else's career more fun than mine with tunes/ai settings.

Back to topic. Formula X. Earned this ride by way too many practice sessions and career races with all the previous open wheel cars. Now it's the 'big one'. Let's have some fast and furious races.

Except pit stops are mandatory and they are still broken/unreliable.

First race. Fuji in the wet. Set pit stop as nothing. Pitted after 3 laps they did 'nothing' for 1.2 second and let me go. Great!\

2nd race. Like the first on 100% AI I destroyed them in qualifying over 3 seconds ahead in pole. Felt excited and fired up for a good fast race at a wonderful track in a great car in the beautiful sunset.

Set slicks for this pit stop so I could go flat out for 5 laps or so to gain a nice lead then be back out of pits still in front or not far behind. 10 lap race. Pitted after 5 laps for tires about 8 seconds ahead replaced tires in about 9 seconds then WTH? Repairs?!? I have damage OFF and only mechanical on but as I said had NO repairs selected in the pit stop setup.
20 seconds later (30 total) I got back out on track in last place. As passing is nigh impossible without going nuts I raced a couple more laps then reset the race.
This time 5 lap race, lets pit after 3 laps but NO tires change and NO repairs! So as to not waste so much time just doing short race. Flew out of gate got 6 seconds ahead after 3 laps dived into pits expecting same as Fuji but....30.6 second repair pit?>!?
Arrrrghhhhh!

By now ALL my excitement for this series (with its mandatory pit stops/bugs now mandatory every race - all 10 of them!) has evaporated and I'm writing this then going back , setting AI to 25, skipping qualifying and running races as short as possible to be rid of this dreadful experience.
Yet another potential GREAT race series for someone in theory at the pinnacle of their PCars2 career absolutely BROKEN.

BTW I DO have video of the whole episode, well the second 5 lap race. I did a 3rd race and pitted after ONE lap to see what would happen. Figured if it was going to FORCE me to pit I'd have less 'damage' right? But as a test I shot round the track recklessly hitting whatever walls came between me and my first pit stop. Take that!
Entered pit and BINGO 5.6 seconds pit (they did nothing).
So it worked4..but it took 4 attempts and it cost me 4 seconds more then Fuji..
.. so I went crazy and managed to win it with some creative driving to earn those wasted 5.6 seconds back.
Creative driving with a track wall is possible like Monaco. Other courses it is not!

I love this car (got my first all platform WR TT with it today!).
I love this track
I love this weather/sunset
I love this setup.

I WOULD LOVE MY OWN CUSTOM CHAMPIONSHIP WHERE I CAN REMOVE BROKEN ELEMENTS OF THE GAME ENTIRELY FROM PLAY (Pit stops/rain/ai in rain/ai qualifying like demons then driving like drunks in actual race/tires cooling during first lap/tires never heating up at all/tires heating up then cooling before actually race ready for qualifying/PUDDLES/getting time penalties when AI has control of my car/getting rallycross penalties when I am following the exact rules etc etc).

And then have the time of my life..

Pretty please...?

Barcelona - absolute blast to drive round in this superb car. Tires wore out and heated up BUT unlike all the other open wheel cars it drove fantastic! Could have done 20/30 laps (with several pits or hard tires).

Pit stop on 4th lap ZERO work selected 5.6 seconds...

Hmm gonna select minimum amount of fuel for Nurburgring GP see if that makes a difference. 5.6 seconds is a lifetime with high AI settings. I used 25 here no contest will keep raising it until I can get a good race even WITH this pit stop mess.

Nurburging GP 5 laps
created new pit stop for 1 litre fuel only stated 1.1 seconds or something for the time.
after 3 laps pitted (ai 35% i was about 10 seconds ahead i think)
gave me my one liter AND took 30 seconds repairing!!! 32.6 total
raced like a nut job last 2 laps could only make 9th or 10the i think
VIDEO SAVED.

next one...geesh..should i pit after 1 lap and i liter fuel stop only see if THAT makes a difference?

Back to 25% AI might have to go lower if Im getting a stupid 30 second penalty EVERY race.

Silverstone GP 25% AI pitted after 2nd lap THIS time with exact same pit setup as last race i got 1.6 second pit (took 32.6 last race)... cool race won by 12 seconds..

Monza now...gonna pit after 3 laps to see if 3 laps is the (black) magic number of laps for the unwanted repairs...

ahh forget Monza..I forgot that even if you have auto pits on if you enter too fast.....disqualify,,,

so Circuit Of Americas next....same pit that gave 1.6 when it works and 32.6 at Nurb...pitted 3rd lap this time it gave me 5.6 seconds..? its like there's an RNG between 1.6/5.6 and 32.6!

Long Beach now...a fave track of mine..back to 100 AI just because i want to qualify...

got pole easily....pitted 4th lap took 5.1 seconds (just to prove me wrong earlier..4 random times now...pit guys error? didn't drop a nut....)
won by 2 seconds...great race as it SHOULD be....

sakitto now..won the series already may as well try the ZERO fuel etc stop as a test now..on the 3rd lap of course..

sakitto i had the weird rev limiter thing on the first lap (stuck at 9k i think until you kers then it goes away) then it started to rain..i quit....

last race spa tried to pit 3rd lap but couldnt find the entrance..? weird as ive used it many times before...then on 4th lap drove very slow and could not find it either...drove on right of track where it should be but no way in...? i'm not saying it's glitched could be me suddenly after 20 years becoming very incompetent
on this track...will look again in a practice session cos obviously i got disqualified this time

so there you have it...unreliable random pit lengths break this series completely unless you lower the AI to 25 but then again what's the pint of even trying then?

Loved the car...will go back to TT or maybe even PS4 MP (!!) as there is not a working series for it.

I think this final email sums it up! Dude's gone into hiding after sending that!

Project CARS 2_20180701011426.jpg

Checked your strategy at race start screen to make sure your pit strategy is correct? I've been doing this habitually to avoid ruining races. Also pulling up icm each time I choose to pit to be doubly sure. All also +1 For custom championships, I've barely touched career mode in pc2.

Last edited:
Broken and useless in Tier 1 ENDURANCE series too
The pit stop mechanic is FUBAR.

Just wasted 30 mins of my live driving 15 laps of COTA on soft slicks with LMP1..No it wasn't fun.

Set up enclosed strategy (definition a plan of action decided and set IN ADVANCE of actual racing) before my COTA endurance race.

Previous race at Fuji was close I won by half a second...used hard slicks for 30 minute race, the AI with their zero tire wear closed in on me passed me only dropping back as they pitted 2/3 way through.

So for COTA I decided as I was struggling on hards at the end of Fuji anyway that I would pit after 8 laps carry half fuel and use slicks to gain an advantage here.

Foolproof plan.

Except

1) AI did NOT pit in this race.... SO there's 30 seconds lost

2) my drunken pit crew (that's being kind to them) gave me more fuel but LEFT MY SLICKS ON!
Raced my arse off to only stay 30 seconds behind rest of the race but to no avail as they did not pit anyway so even though I won the first race 8th destroyed my chances of winning the series

I have ZERO confidence that any strategy is even connected to the game module it is supposed to communicate with. Garbage I'm sorry but no doubt the worst pitting Ive ever seen in 20 years in a game/sim. Geoff Crammond got it right first time in the nineties!!

Project CARS 2_20180701234416.jpg

Could people PLEASE watch the short video in post #2 BEFORE reminding me to do the obvious. Like checking Ive set it up right.
I don't spend 2 pages writing a detailed complaining about a bug plus hours making video proof unless there IS one....
:D thanks

EDIT:
MY fault. I set recommended for the tire change not ALL. I can;t blame the pit crew for not knowing what a soft slick looks like after 8 laps of COTA on a hot day. SO yep my fault.
Changed to ALL now so will assume that might work now.

Last edited:
Doubt I will be complaining about this or anything else as just received a warning for this complaint thread on the official site. NO point complaining anymore.

Hu you got a warning on Pc2 forum for a thread on gtp?

And I have never encountered these issues. I do believe you have these issues. Have you tried reinstalling? Or doublecheck to make surr you didn't do anything strange, I catch myself doing stupid **** sometimes that's why I ask ;)

Back