YLOD, but not really? What is this?

United States
California
gdwest1
So, about 2 or so years ago, my 2nd gen PS3 80 gb decided to stop working.

In the middle of a game(Modern warfare 2 within its first month of release), and the whole unit just shuts off. Huh?

Restart, gets as far as the PS3 logo, and the off again... Forever.

But, at no point was there ever a yellow light, anywhere. But from what I read everywhere, its the same problem?

I haven't ever really been sure of what it was, but I'd like to fix whatever it is myself, instead of paying Sony $150. (It was already out of warranty when it broke, i checked.)

So "Wont you please, please help me?"

Have you considered it might be a faulty power cable? or maybe the fuse is blown in the plug? might even be the wall socket.

If its not any of those you could open the system up check everything is connected properly (wires etc) and also change the thermal paste then try and turn it on again.

It could be that the internal power supply in your PS3 has died, its quite easy and cheap to replace.

Robin.

I tried different cables, and a different wall socket. Theres no fuses blown.

Anyone agree on the power supply thing? Is this normal?

If it was the power supply it would not turn on at all not even get to the ps logo.

Yeah but the original post said it got to the PS logo once and then never again, i.e. now not turning on all at. So it could be the power supply.

The real question for troubleshooting the power supply would be what is running when the PS3 is turned on? The Power Supply like a PC takes AC voltage and converts it to several +/- DC voltages for the HDD, Blu-Ray, etc. I would bet it is most likely a faulty power supply. But without a list of what is and what is not working it is hard to say.

Again, It worked, it shut off. It restarted, and then died after about 45 seconds. It WILL NOT turn on again. Ive tried different cords.

Latest Posts

Back