YLOD & Endurance

  • Thread starter Thread starter R35-Vspec
  • 28 comments
  • 2,404 views
Messages
118
Messages
R35-Vspec
Messages
Skillcoilz06
I haven't made it to endurance events yet but my question is, how am I supposed to do an endurance race when my PS3 may not handle GT5 for a long time?

I heard you can save during endurance. Is it possible? If not, then how are we supposed to do 24hr races :drool: ??
 
No save feature for endurance races, sorry.
 
I don't get why people are so scared to use their ps3..

I have mine running everyday from I get home from work till I goto bed, and basically never turn it off during weekends.
 
I don't get why people are so scared to use their ps3..

I have mine running everyday from I get home from work till I goto bed, and basically never turn it off during weekends.

Same.



Once again keep it well ventilated and dust free and it will last forever.
 
I have not turned my PS3 off since Nov. 24. I doubt I will anytime in the next year or so. I don't know why people are so concerned. :-/
 
Same here. I only make sure that the PS3 stands "free", i.e. has enough room to emit the heat. It's not like the temperature will rise linearly.
 
I don't get why people are so scared to use their ps3..

I have mine running everyday from I get home from work till I goto bed, and basically never turn it off during weekends.

Because they read it online making it true. Maybe because I am 41 and grew up hearing my dad say "do you believe everything you read/hear, son?" that I take most of what I read online with a grain of salt. Or maybe because I understand statistics and the people that stated they got the YLOD is a very small percentage of the people that own the PS3.

Just enjoy it for what it was made for, playing games.
 
Once again keep it well ventilated and dust free and it will last forever.

If you can feed it cool air rather than air that's been heated by a radiator then that's an extra help!
 
I can understand why some owners of older consoles would be concerned, and GT5 is the only game I've played that would require someone to leave their console on for well over 24 hours, but the fact is it makes no difference, if your PS3 is going to die soon it will die anyway whether you leave it on or not. One night of GT5 was enough to kill my Fat but I know it would have happened whether I'd played three one hour sessions, six half hour sessions, etc, etc.

If you're worried about YLODing, backup your PS3 regularly and use it how you'd always use it because if it's going to happen, it will happen, not because of GT5 or any other game, it's just how it is. I will say that overheating will accelerate the process but mine died from a PSU burn out, what can you do to stop that? Nothing!

Also leaving it on pause for long periods won't do much, it's not like it's going to consume huge amounts of G or CPU processing power while displaying a static screen.
 
Also leaving it on pause for long periods won't do much, it's not like it's going to consume huge amounts of G or CPU processing power while displaying a static screen.

Not necessarily true, unless pause takes a copy of the current frame and stops the 3D render process. That would be up to the developer to do. Rendering completely still objects in a 3d environment at 60FPS is still rendering 60 frames, even if the frames have no differences in them. 3d scenes in games aren't rendered by differencing.

That being said, I have a launch 60GB that has seen barely any use besides blu-rays since a month after I got it. Regardless, I ordered the cooler PSU, 19 Blade fan and some IC-7 that should hopefully be arriving in the next day or two. I also just installed an 80GB SSD. I'm not taking any chances.
 
Last edited:
My phat 60GB(now 160GB) just seems to turn up the fans once in a while, otherwise I'm not too worried. I did give it its routine vacuum treatment to make sure she could breathe.
 
What I do with mine is turn on the air conditioner in the rrom when the fan can be heard. I am a bit afraid though, GT5 P killed my last PS3, even though it was a launch 60 gig.
 
If you're worried about YLODing, backup your PS3 regularly and use it how you'd always use it because if it's going to happen, it will happen, not because of GT5 or any other game, it's just how it is. I will say that overheating will accelerate the process but mine died from a PSU burn out, what can you do to stop that? Nothing!

I thought you weren't able to back-up the GT5 save file with the back-up option because of the copy protection?
 
Worms 2: Armageddon killed my old 40 gig. Don't think any particular game offsets the system. If its going to overheat, it overheats.
 
Like others have said make sure your ps3 has room to breath, also put a sweatshirt on and open some windows. Yeah thats right, cool down your house and you can cool your ps3 better.

I've got it worked out that around 65-68 degrees my fan will remain at low speeds, 70 degrees plus and it speeds up. I also have a fan in my entertainment cabinet.
 
I thought you weren't able to back-up the GT5 save file with the back-up option because of the copy protection?

You can do a full-drive backup. If you YLOD and can get it to boot again for 30m-1h you can also do a PS3 transfer. Both have been proven to work. You just can't simply take the drive out and drop it in a different PS3 is all.
 
You can do a full-drive backup. If you YLOD and can get it to boot again for 30m-1h you can also do a PS3 transfer. Both have been proven to work. You just can't simply take the drive out and drop it in a different PS3 is all.

Do I need to back-up to an external drive or will a memory stick work? I don't have any pictures/music/videos on my PS3.

And if my PS3 YLOD in the future, can I just import that back-up to the new PS3?
 
Do I need to back-up to an external drive or will a memory stick work? I don't have any pictures/music/videos on my PS3.

And if my PS3 YLOD in the future, can I just import that back-up to the new PS3?

If you installed to hard drive, you'll have that data that needs to be in the backup, too. You'll likely need an external drive unless you have a 16GB+ flash drive, and even then it really depends on what you've downloaded and installed to the hard drive.

The only way to get the full backup onto another PS3 is to get your original PS3 going again and restore to it first, then transfer via Ethernet to the new PS3. The external backup is only useful for a hard drive crash. It won't help you if the LYOD brings your system to a non-bootable state.
 
if you can feed it cool air rather than air that's been heated by a radiator then that's an extra help!

do not do that you will screw up your ps3
 
How am I supposed to do an endurance race when my PS3 may not handle GT5 for a long time?

What are you on about? What's the matter with your PS3?
 
If you installed to hard drive, you'll have that data that needs to be in the backup, too. You'll likely need an external drive unless you have a 16GB+ flash drive, and even then it really depends on what you've downloaded and installed to the hard drive.

The only way to get the full backup onto another PS3 is to get your original PS3 going again and restore to it first, then transfer via Ethernet to the new PS3. The external backup is only useful for a hard drive crash. It won't help you if the LYOD brings your system to a non-bootable state.

Okay, thank you for explaining it. Hopefully they remove the copy protection soon.
 
Look on the PS3.. you will see a big logo that reads: SONY
It doesn't say Microsoft

You are fine. :)
 
One question,

If people are scared, can't they place a copy of the save file in their thumb drive now and even though it's copy protected, you place the save file back in the PS3 once the patch comes out and you'll be able to get the save file to work?

Would it be possible?
 
Do I need to back-up to an external drive or will a memory stick work? I don't have any pictures/music/videos on my PS3.

And if my PS3 YLOD in the future, can I just import that back-up to the new PS3?

I backed mine up into an external hard drive with 500gb. I'm pretty sure a memory stick or USB drive with enough memory would be able to back up your PS3 data but I would highly suggest an external hard drive. Yes, you can import the data back into your PS3.
 
I backed mine up into an external hard drive with 500gb. I'm pretty sure a memory stick or USB drive with enough memory would be able to back up your PS3 data but I would highly suggest an external hard drive. Yes, you can import the data back into your PS3.

Not into a new one, and retain usability of copy-protected data. The only way to transfer copy-protected data and have it still work is through the Ethernet method.
 
I have a 160GB that I would love to have a backup copy of the ps3 drive, but the PS3 doesn't seem to recognize the drive. It has a decent password protected system that probably only works with a limited number of OS. I'm leaning on buying ($50-$100) just a PS3 backup/music dedicated that probably wouldn't have as much protection.

What would you do?
 
I have a 160GB that I would love to have a backup copy of the ps3 drive, but the PS3 doesn't seem to recognize the drive. It has a decent password protected system that probably only works with a limited number of OS. I'm leaning on buying ($50-$100) just a PS3 backup/music dedicated that probably wouldn't have as much protection.

What would you do?

It's probably formatted NTFS. PS3 can only see FAT32 partitions.
 
Look on the PS3.. you will see a big logo that reads: SONY
It doesn't say Microsoft

You are fine. :)

Statistically, you make sense. But if your PS3 dies after making such smug comments you'll just be kicking yourself twice as hard. Especially considering the commitment a game like GT5 requires.
 
Back