YLOD? Isn't ps3 a computer?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Uscbryan
  • 8 comments
  • 888 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
Messages
331
Messages
Usc_trojan949
I have a read about YLOD on some of these threads. Some attributing it to over heating. Now that I have access to the endurance races I will probably have to pause the system overnight to finish. I figure the PS3 is basically a computer so leaving it on shouldn't be a problem. I have left all my desktop computers on from day one never had a problem. Same thing with my work computer. It hasn't been shut down, except to reboot, for 3 years now. Is my logic flawed? Am I going to have a problem leaving the game paused for days at a time? Maybe the PS3 doesn't sleep so it stays hotter than a computer?

I have actually heard on numerous occasions that turning off and on computers is what can cause the damage due to the tempiture changes causing the board or chips to warp or something.

Thanks
 
im guessing if its standing up it would help aid cooling rather than laying on the side. Same has been said of the 360 though.
 
As long as it's well ventilated where you keep your PS3 I don't see any problems happening... Especially if it's the slim model.
 
I think computers are PS3's are a little different, I don't know what you've got but my Mac Pro, which I also haven't turned off for a very long time, is cold right now (except for the graphics chip, but at least it has it's own fans), main reason being the entire front and back being perforated, it has two much bigger fans and heatsinks and yeah, basically has much better air flow and dispersal. The PS3, however, is in a plastic case (worse heat conductivity), is much smaller but with a pretty good (and hot) processor, etc.

So yeah, while the PS3 is a computer, it doesn't have the same form factor and therefore the air flow and heat management isn't so good.


Though I should point out that I'm not worried about my PS3 overheating, my old Fat died from a YLOD but I think it was the PSU (power supply unit) that blew, which happens from age, not temperature. Just make sure the back and the top are clear of obstructions and walls and such and you'll be fine, but the PSU is a weakness too, it's not just overheating.
 
It's actually the chance of a voltage spike that can damage parts when you turn on a computer. It takes more at turn on then what it runs at normally with almost anything electrical. This is why your breaker's usually flip off during brown outs(power service coming on and off multiple times in a short time period) as appliances constantly turning on and all at the same time will bring in too much.

I've always done the same thing with my computers as you. I have a 9 year old and 6 year old computer that at most get a restart once every couple months and they have all the original components as I have no problems except with video cards going out.

Personally as I stated in another thread, I live in the desert and don't use A/C so my PS3 sees heat and dust that most people would never put their system through. It's a launch system and still runs perfectly. Since the game has come out I rarely turn off the PS3 and no problems. I even left it on for a month straight once with a game running because I had it tucked behind some stuff and couldn't see the lights or hear it.

That being said, it's like any piece of electronic, there's always a chance they're going to go and there's not much you can do about it sometimes. The manufacturing process of any product isn't perfect and costs play a lot more into it these days than quality.
 
Thanks. I'll leave it on but I may wait until I can backup my current game info first. Hopefully the patch comes out soon.
 
As if a computer couldn't overheat. It's not a magical term that means it's components are all made of ice.
 
It´s not the same! Look at the X-box 360. Its more a pc than the ps3 and got the red ring thing (overheating) all the time at the beginning.
What you guys do don´t sound to economic btw did you hear of something called ecologically awareness?
 
Why have you posted this in the GT5 Q&A section?

This discussion would be better suited to the PS3 sub-forum, in which you will find we already have a thread discussing this very subject.

I will post a link to it in here in a minute, however this thread gets locked.

He's the most recent, and I would ask that in future carry out a search before creating a new thread, as duplicate threads will get locked, particularly if they are in the wrong section.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=119187&highlight=ylod

Scaff
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back